• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC responds slower than CS6 - any advice?

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using a trial of InDesign CS6 which ran smoothly for a month. Today I upgraded to InDesign CC.

I've only been using it today but there are detectable and annoying pauses when performing the following actions

Placing and relinking files

Exporting to PDF

Creating new files

Save as...

Anyone else experiencing this?

Using Windows 7 Ultimate

16GB Ram

64 bit OS

I have 250 GB SD drive for my software and a 3TB drive for my files.

I'm not great with the hardware so if I need to supply any other info please let me know!

Thanks

Ruth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 342 Replies 342
Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2013 Aug 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having used 9.1 for a few days now i have to say its still not fixed for me.

After being initially impressed that  scaling/moving text/images is much better with none of the lag as you pull a box frame, text and general page viewing sluggishness remains a problem.

As an example:

If I start on a new document and fill a text box with placeholder copy then do a normal pull select on the text its fast and smooth for me. However do this when you have multiple pages in the document that are full of content and pull selecting a bank of copy slows to a crawl again making precise selections impossible.

We are all selling our time and this new software is costing us all money in more ways than one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 28, 2013 Aug 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi TaHeyOne,

For Multple pages you are finding things slow, So is your document contain transparency? Or even without tranparency, things are slow?

Thanks,

Dinkar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2013 Aug 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like if i turn off transparency it goes back to the being fast and smooth.

However it is impossible to create any jobs with transparency off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An Adobe engineer actually called me today and had me demonstrate the issues for him using screen share via Adobe Connect. I sent him a test file to use as well as a system report. I'm very happy to see Adobe reaching out to its customers to help replicate the problems. He said they're dilligently working  hopefully solve this performance problem for everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that ever good news!  Thanks for letting us know -- Jon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2013 Aug 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also contacted by Adobe the other day and sent them the same info. It seems they are paying attention. Fingers crossed that they can find the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2013 Sep 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That really sounds comforting. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2013 Sep 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

Just updated my whole system (Macbook Pro Mid 2009, Intel Core Duo 3,06 GHz) with an SSD, 8 GB RAM, Mountain Lion 10.8.4 (clean install) to get ready for Adobe CC.

Now started working with CC (German) and noticed the same performance-issues with InDesign (9.1) Rene stated a few pages before. The only thing that helps a bit is to hide all panels with Tab. This increases the speed significantly. Unfortunately is this not a permanent solution for me.

I tried to close each panel apart but that doesn't affect the performance. I have to admit that I have opened almost every panel InDesign offers on my 2nd display... which was never a problem with InDesign CS4 (the version I used before).

Hopefully there'll be another patch soon. Glad to read that Adobe seems to work on that problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2013 Sep 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DemShades wrote:

Hey there,

Just updated my whole system (Macbook Pro Mid 2009, Intel Core Duo 3,06 GHz) with an SSD, 8 GB RAM, Mountain Lion 10.8.4 (clean install) to get ready for Adobe CC.

Now started working with CC (German) and noticed the same performance-issues with InDesign (9.1)

+ NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

Furthermore I'm running Photoshop CC, Bridge CC, Acrobat XI, Illustrator CC, Suitcase Fusion, Entourage, Cyberduck, Word (and Finder, lol). All of them have the latest updates running.

Anything more I should mention?

Just started testing InDesign CS6 and must say that this app works fine for me! I think I'll use this in place of CC until Adobe publishes another patch for CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Suitcase Fusion? Anything butthe very latest probably is not compatible, and not being a Suitcase user myself I'm not sure even the latest is ready for CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the latest version of Linotype Font Explorer Pro for Mac OS. There are no Plug-Ins installed for different apps like InDesign or Illustrator for auto activation. I also had this set-up with InDesign CS6 on this machine but had no problems at all. All other CC apps on my system are running perfectly stable and fast. The only problems come witn InDesign CC.

Again the symptoms I am experiencing are more or less the same issues other people are dealing with: sluggish behaviour on moving stuff around, scrolling, filling text frames. The performance slowdown gets noticeable most when drawing a path with the pen tool. I can watch it come into being after clicking in very quick succesion. Somehow the performance loss is linked to opening panels. The worst hit on performance (in my case) occurs when the info panel is open.

The update to CC version 9.1 already brought perfomance gains in my case but compared to CS6 it is still slower in its responsiveness.

Opening and quitting InDesign CC is quicker than opening/quitting CS6 as well as creating a new document in CC is way faster (that are the only areas I felt an improvement due to the 64-Bit-support).

Specs: MacBook Pro 6,1 | Intel Core i7 | 2,67 GHz | 8 GB RAM DDR3 1067MHz | NVIDIA GeForce GT 330 M 512 MB VRAM | Mac OS 10.8.4 | InDesign CC 9.1 | InDesign CS6 8.0.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suitcase Fusion 5 is compatible with and includes autoactivation plugins for CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2013 Sep 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Peter,

and thx for your reply. I must admit that I'm using Suitcase Fusion 2 Ver. 13.2.3 (103) which is quite old, I know. I don't use the auto-activation and haven't recognized any conflicts with Suitcase so far. I tried running InDesign without using Suitcase but the performance is still very bad.

I have a strange feeling that the problem is UI-related. As a lot of people here mentioned, the performance increases significally as soon as you hide all panels. As Rene stated, laggy behaviour moving objects, scrolling and slow textbox-filling (Copy+Paste)/selecting words/sentences are the most irritating things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 25, 2013 Aug 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Indesign CC is also a lot slower than Indesign CS6 on my MacBook Air with Mountain Lion installed.

I tried to upgrade to 9.1 but the Creative Cloud app keeps on leting me know I'm up to date.

So I uninstalled Indesign CC 9.0 in order to reinstall Indesign CC… But I'm still in 9.0…

Have the update been deployed for everyone ? I'm french so it may be only for english users ?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2013 Aug 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm french too and updated to ID CC 9.1 a few days ago using Adobe Application Manager.

Maybe 9.1 update is not available for download anymore (?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2013 Aug 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We too are finding CC Indesign frustrating slow compared to CS6 and have tried the info panel and font "fixes" with no difference. From panning around pages to scaling type or boxes its all unacceptably slow with the screen taking too long to catch up. Have no issue with any of the other CC products just Indesign.

CS6 was a joy to use but this is just painful. Please fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2013 Aug 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody, I've been as well struggling with these slowdowns on InDesign CC and have tried every single workaround posted on this forum --with no results whatsoever. Today I tried something else, I turned off Frame Edges (View>Extras>Hide Frame Edges) and suddenly everything came back to normal speeds again. I tested turning on transparency (on Preferences) and even selecting High Quality Display Mode everything was fine, back to CS6 speeds.

BTW, I'm on Windows 7 x64, Core i7, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 550 Ti video card (dual monitors).

Hope it helps someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2013 Aug 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried that and it made no differance.

Cheers for the tip though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2013 Aug 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This had no impact on my version of InDesign CC either, but thanks for letting us know.

Mac OS 10.8.4 | MacBookPro 6,1 | Intel core i7 | 2,66 GHz | 8 GB RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2013 Sep 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I recently started using InDesign CC and I am having the same problems as stated here and in these replies. Contacted the helpcentre and tolded to remove my old preferences which helps for about 5 minutes. Aftre that the slowness returnes. Very frustrating to work with.

I use macbook pro 10.6.8 (intel core 2 duo 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3).

Has there been a solution to the problem? I would be very thankful to hear.

thank you

Carolien

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is sad but I stopped using ID CC and returned to using CS5.5. Indesign CC is slow (even when Ai and Psd are not running) and frustrating to work with, and very bad news for my arm and hand. I work on a macbook pro sX 10.6.8 memory 8GB.

I use extensis suitcase fusion as my main fontlibrary. I hope that Adobe can find the problem very soon...

and thank you,

Carolien

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoi Carolien. I gave up working with InDesign CC, too. I just downloaded InDesign CS6. What a difference! So fast. As a former CS4 user there are a lot of new features to discover too, for sure.

Fingers crossed that there'll be a solution for the InDesign CC-performance problem soon. The other CC-apps I'm using right now are working fine.

Cheers,

Dem Shades

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so sorry to hear that some folks are still having these problems. It's fascinating to me, because honestly for most people CC is at least as fast, if not faster! I see noticeable speed improvements when using CC on my macbook air.

I know that Adobe is working hard at figuring this out. The more clues you can give them (your hardware setup, system, other software you're running, etc.) the more likely they'll be able to diagnose the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign CC is slow for me too. I work with a MacBook Air 2013, i7 processor with 8Gb of RAM.

I'm on Mountain Lion 10.8.4 and did a fresh install with the help of Time Machine to recover user setting and apps.

Someone said that he has no problem with a MacBook Air, so it may be a configuration problem ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing you should have used time machine for is the recovery of data. Using it for applications and setting was not a particularly good idea. And for the record I have a 2012 MacBook Air i5 processor with 8 gigs of RAM, clean install of ML and no perfomance issues at all with InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines