• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC responds slower than CS6 - any advice?

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using a trial of InDesign CS6 which ran smoothly for a month. Today I upgraded to InDesign CC.

I've only been using it today but there are detectable and annoying pauses when performing the following actions

Placing and relinking files

Exporting to PDF

Creating new files

Save as...

Anyone else experiencing this?

Using Windows 7 Ultimate

16GB Ram

64 bit OS

I have 250 GB SD drive for my software and a 3TB drive for my files.

I'm not great with the hardware so if I need to supply any other info please let me know!

Thanks

Ruth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 342 Replies 342
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2013 Aug 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it still possible to download CS6 - or is it completely deleted from Adobe's servers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, click on the link in response 97 and select cs6 from the dropdown under the screen shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think CS6 is still part of the Creative Cloud product.  Both versions are listed in the Application Manager.  And I hope both of them stay there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jon Snidal wrote:

I think CS6 is still part of the Creative Cloud product.  Both versions are listed in the Application Manager.  And I hope both of them stay there!

Apparently not in the Windows version (I'm on now) but the last time I checked, it was in the Application Manager on my MAC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, dilemma.  I need to work on both platforms, so I'll have to switch back and forth between CS6 and CC, saving as idml in between!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 is most definitely available on both platforms through CC.

and on the InDesign page scroll down to the "in this version" section.

You'll see a dropdown there. Click and select CS6. Download from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's good!  I thought CS6 was there on my Windows machine, too, but on it, CC works quite well.  I'll just weather the strom with CS6 -- Jon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2013 Aug 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Bob,

I set up a test account for a client but on the German Website there is no dropdown to select InDesign CS6. Have a look: https://www.dropbox.com/s/62icwir50u1dtop/nocs6.png

Will you get the dropdown once it is a paid account?

Thank you,

René

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm going to need to install CS6 alongside CC, as well.  I don't get the option in the link in reply 97, nor does it appear in my Creative Cloud / Application Manager panel (Windows 8 in Canada in this case).  I was sure it was there until I reinstalled everything!  Does anyone have a different download link?  Thanks -- Jon.

PS:  CC is working fine (almost) on my Windows machine, but I need to run CS6 since CC is useless on the Mac at work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is that yes, you would need a paid account, Rene.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pro Publisher wrote:

Yeah, I was hoping too but nothing! I'll be starting the September issue on CS6 today. (Frustrated)

Adobe has you hooked on the cloud. The money keeps rolling in.

The Adobe apologists say no problem and it only happens to a few so why attempt to fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, please.

Nobody is saying that there's no problem. What some of us are saying is

that we're not experiencing a problem.

Adobe is working on fixing the issues. That doesn't happen overnight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

paymemts to them happen quickly enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is interesting:

Using the completed magazine file from last month, I created an IDML file of the whole thing in ID CC

- I opened the IDML file with ID CS6 and had no trouble with the file.

To be sure, I opened the IDML file with ID CC and the problems persisted.

Strange!!!!

OH, I did try the suggestion to hide the frame edges in CC and it didn't help.

I'm glad they're working on it, and I'm even more glad that I have CS6 in the mean time.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folks are getting frustrated, Bob. It's been two months since InDesign CC was released, and, unless I missed something, not a single "official" word from Adobe on this issue. Adding insult to injury is the monthly fee for this spanking new, not-ready-for-prime-time dysfunctional software. Adobe needs to address this and stop leaving everyone guessing and waiting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And they have every right to be frustrated. Adobe engineers are working on it. They have no reason to delay a fix but to rush one out is counter productive.

See my reply on August 20 on how to install CS6 from Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it!  Cool, and thanks for that; it's installing now -- Jon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 22, 2013 Aug 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An update for InDesign CC has been released today that resolves several performance problems.  The update also addresses a number of stability problems.  In addition, it introduces the new Sync Settings feature.  Please give it a try.

Mark VerMurlen

InDesign Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great news, Mark!

Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated immediately!  Sadly, things are as slow as ever, in fact maybe a little worse?  All the tricks I've tried (disabling features, etc) aren't having quite the same effect they did before updating.  It's like it's stuck in glue or something.  This goes even for selecting text.  Oh well, eventually ... this is making CS6 seem blazing fast!  How is the new update for everyone else?  Thanks -- Jon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, no improvement after the update. Just as slow as before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please check that you see version 9.1 in the About InDesign dialog box.  There have been some subcomponent updates previously that may make it look like an InDesign update, but didn't affect the core application.  If you still see version 9.0, you don't have the new core application.  You may need to log out and log back into your computer for the Creative Cloud app to check back with the server to find the core app update since it just came out a few hours ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the link to the updater file so that I can test this update on a test partation to see it it has fixed the performance bug and to make sure new bugs have not been introduced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Was,

If you're a Creative Cloud subscriber, you can have two installs of the applications active. Log out from the Creative Cloud on one of the installs. On the computer with your test partition, log in to the Creative Cloud using your account. Download InDesign CC (which should now be the 9.1 version). Test away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about another partition on the same computer? Does CC consider this a different install?

I have never ever updated Adobe software like this. Why can't I just download the install package like before?

Is it possible to install IDCC as a trial and then download the update? If so where are the files saved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines