• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC responds slower than CS6 - any advice?

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using a trial of InDesign CS6 which ran smoothly for a month. Today I upgraded to InDesign CC.

I've only been using it today but there are detectable and annoying pauses when performing the following actions

Placing and relinking files

Exporting to PDF

Creating new files

Save as...

Anyone else experiencing this?

Using Windows 7 Ultimate

16GB Ram

64 bit OS

I have 250 GB SD drive for my software and a 3TB drive for my files.

I'm not great with the hardware so if I need to supply any other info please let me know!

Thanks

Ruth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 342 Replies 342
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2013 Aug 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I don't know how Creative Cloud handles two partitions on the same computer. I don't have any way of testing that. Why don't you try?

You could also make up another Adobe ID (they're free), and download the trial.

The Application files are saved in the same location as they are for perpetual licensed applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Application files are saved in the same location as they are for perpetual licensed applications.

Sorry, I was talking about the updater files not the application files.

There have been links posted to other CC updates so maybe there will be one for ID 9.1. If not I am going to have to really think how we are going to test Adobe's increasingly bug ridden software in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was DYP, you may want to consider enterprise licensing if you need to do pre-rollout testing. I agree with your unstated assertion that it's insane to just merrily update to the latest hot-off-the-presses version of IDCC without thorough testing, but I don't see how to make that happen easily. But I have Adobe Creative Cloud Packager which makes it extremely easy to just go and grab the update files only. Which is because I am supposed to be running my own update server behind the firewall for my 5 seats of CC, which is serious overkill and a pretty significant timesuck, but that's another whinge entirely.

But if you're running your own update server, it's extremely easy to do the testing you require.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2013 Aug 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First impressions of the update is a huge improvement for me.

Scaling type and objects is almost as fast CS6 for me which was my main complaint however panning around the screen still feels sluggish.

Will have to assess later on heavy multipage documents but im very pleased so far.

Thanks for listening and responding.

FYI im on an i7 3.1GHz iMac OSX 10.8.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also ran the update today and, yes the performance is better than before but as stated by TAHeyOne also on my machine the speed is not as I expect it to be. InDesign CS6 is still performing noticeably faster than CC.

The drawing speed of a path for instance is still connected to having the info panel open or not – when open it is drawn slower. In general there is still a lag. In InDesign CS6 the moment I click the point is created, in CC that is not the case.

But I also want to thank you for working on this problem and releasing the update. Hopefully, with future updates this issue will be completely resolved.

Specs: MacBook Pro 6,1 | Intel Core i7 | 2,67 GHz | 8 GB RAM | Mac OS 10.8.4 | InDesign CC 9.1 | InDesign CS6 8.0.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Mark. I've just updated to 9.1 and, although I must say that InDesign CC is significantly faster than it was before, I can still get better results with Frame Edges turned off. Which is really odd, since InDesign CS6 can work so much faster in the same conditions (Frame Edges on, High Quality Display). Turning off the Info panel, as suggested before, has no effect on my machine.

By the way, the Sync Settings feature is really welcomed. Thanks for that!

My specs: Windows 7 x64, Core i7 3770, 16GB DDR3, nVidia GTX 550 Ti with updated drivers (dual monitors)

I'll be glad to provide more info if needed.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirming that I did update to 9.1 and no improvement in performance. I installed CC on release day, and have faithfully followed this thread as well as installed every update available for InDesign CC and the other CC applications I use, including the CC applicaton itself.

My system: 15" MacBook Pro Retina Display (Early 2013) 2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto MVCarpenter's post.  Can't wait for a real fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same crap here. No speed improvement at all.

And the crashes after quitting persist.

Maybe in the next update, two months from now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also want to add that this has nothing to do with the Retina display as far as I can tell. Performance is the same whether using the built-in Retina display or using the laptop connected to an external display. I wouldn't rule out that it has something to do with Apple laptops and the energy management / throttling system therein. Let's keep an eye on the feedback and note if improvement is seen on desktop systems, but not laptops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded on my Windows 8 and I couldn't tell any remarkable difference. The main issues are on my Mac Pro but I'm in the middle of the September issue (on CS6) and will wait till next week (after I'm done) to install and test on that machine. It is disheartening to read the reports that this update didn't work for some.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ MVCarpenter

I use my laptop as my main machine and having it plugged to a power outlet, there is no throttling at all. The issues are the same whether it is powered or running on battery.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Rene

The laptop still throttles based on thermal conditions when plugged in. Thanks for the input on battery vs. plugged in, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This update has not solved the problem for me either. Text selection is still very sluggish on any page or spread where transparency is involved. If I get rid of the transparency or turn Display Performance to "Fast Display" the problem is immediately resolved. Unfortunately, neither of those two solutions are practical.

This occurs on the following two machines:

Mac Mini (mid 2010)

Software: OS X 10.8.4

Processor:  2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory:  8 GB

Graphics:  NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

Monitor: 30" Apple Cinema Display

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009)

Software:  OS X 10.8.4

Processor:  3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory:  4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics:  ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were those Mountain Lion installs clean installs or upgrades? Upgrade

installations are a crapshoot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wheter ugrade or clean installation – all other Adobe CC applications run perfectly on my system. And why did the recent InDesign CC update show slight performance gains in my case? The fixes have obviously been made inside of InDesign. I upgraded to Moutain Lion (10.8) from Snow Leopard (10.6) and every single piece of software on my machine works as it did before.

Besides that the problem also exists on Windows machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2013 Aug 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I find odd is that many of the people suffering this issue have it on

multiple machines while the majority of users are not seeing it.

There has to be some similarity in those machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They were upgrade installs from 10.6.8. If it comes to the point where Adobe recommends a clean install I guess I'll give it a try but, I'd rather avoid it for the time being.

I'll second what Rene said in that everything else CC-related and otherwise has been running fine for me on 10.8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the clean install. The upgrade install of ML, especially from SL is a

crapshoot and InDesign seems to be the app that suffers most from it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Adobe and Apple are working together (I guess) to get things running smoothly, was there any communication between the two companies about this issue? Why is there no official statement about it. I am the first to backup everything and install my machine from the ground up if this is 100 % sure to be the source of the problem – but again why do windows users (see post #126) have the same problems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clean install of Mountain Lion here, fresh from the factory. InDesign CC performance issues since day one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2013 Aug 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ MVCarpenter: Do you have a font utility software installed? By the way from where are you? My system runs on German country settings and my InDesign is a German version as well. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2013 Aug 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I do have a font utility installed. The latest version of FontExplorer X Pro. I am in the US.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2013 Aug 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I installed the latest version of InDesign CC (German) at a client’s office and the machine is running Mac OS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard (clean install) on a MacPro (2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | 8 BG RAM).

The performance issues are also experienced on this machine. Sluggish and delayed response of almost all actions. Also on this machine InDesign CS6 (German) is much faster. No font utility software is installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 28, 2013 Aug 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After finally getting around to testing 9.1 I am seeing it to.

Did not see it on some files. Large 24 x 36 poster with transparencies I didn't see it, but today on a 8.5 x 11 add with lots of transparencies working with text being this slow is unaceptable.

This is a deal killer. Can't work that slow. Any thoughts of CC will have to wait until Adobe fixes this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines