• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC responds slower than CS6 - any advice?

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using a trial of InDesign CS6 which ran smoothly for a month. Today I upgraded to InDesign CC.

I've only been using it today but there are detectable and annoying pauses when performing the following actions

Placing and relinking files

Exporting to PDF

Creating new files

Save as...

Anyone else experiencing this?

Using Windows 7 Ultimate

16GB Ram

64 bit OS

I have 250 GB SD drive for my software and a 3TB drive for my files.

I'm not great with the hardware so if I need to supply any other info please let me know!

Thanks

Ruth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 342 Replies 342
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2013 Jun 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jon, my issues are not related to the transparency setting in the preferences. Same result whether it is turned off or any other setting. How old is your MacBook Pro and what are your system specification?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 24, 2013 Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One InDesign CC property that's the same on Windows and Mac, and is common to all who are reporting slow performance, is the need to periodically contact Adobe Creativ Cloud servers to validate the user's subscription.

Even though the checking is claimed to be at random intervals, and is designed to be not so frequent that it affects performance, it's possible that one or more failed attempts to contact the Adobe servers may trigger more and more frequent attempts. It's more logical to think that an informative alert would be displayed, but sometimes logic fails illogically.

So, is there anything common in many of the affected users' systems, related to the "phoning home" process that might affect performance? For example, is virus protection software active, or other security or defensive shield applications? Are firewalls the bottlenecks? Are network connection proxies in use? Has any affected user contacted corporate IT support folks who could look at the network configurations? Findings?

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tested on a macbook pro core2duo 2.4 4gb ram 10.4.8 160gb 540hd and iMac 27" 3.4 i7, 32 gb, 3tb fusion, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB with cs6 and cc.

Both have the same prefs settings, cc is laggy all over the place on both set ups, same effect with cs6 docs opened in cc as new docs created in cc.

Not great really.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if OS X 10.4.8 is the problem. Current release is 10.7.x.

Is your external 3TB Fusion drive connected via USB2? There are faster connections - USB3 is the newest and fastest; FireWire 400 and 800 are faster than USB2.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my bad, that was a typo. It should read 10.8.4, sorry.

Its the 3tb internal fusion drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point, it's pretty obvious the problem doesn't lie in hardware. Users with older machines and brand new top-of-the-line machines are both experiencing the same issue with InDesign CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2013 Jul 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After working more extensively with CC this week, I can confirm with 100% confidence that, at least in my case, the performance issues are caused by the use of transparency. A document, whether created new in CC or opening a CS6 document in CC, with no transparency performs very well. The software is very snappy. Adding even a single instance of transparency instantly brings the performance to a crawl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 05, 2013 Jul 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm from my side too with 100% confidence that he slowdown is caused by the use of transparency. The funny thing is that it is the text that is affected the most when I have transparent objects on the page...by this I mean anything and evrything to do with text, whether it be typing, highlighting exisiting text, or pasting text blocks that I have copied from another page. For example, if I copy several blocks of text and images from one page and paste them onto another...the images will appear immediately but the text takes some time to redraw on the screen. If I disable transparency in the Display prefs, the problems and speed issues also disappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2013 Jul 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I'm also experiencing a substantial slowdown in CC. Scrolling through pages, dragging objects, selecting words and paragraphs; the basic actions one needs the software to be responsive to in order to be productive at one's job. It happens with new documents I create in CC and ones I bring over from CS6. My preferences and workspaces are the same in CC and CS6.

Here's what I'm running:

Mac Mini (mid 2010)

Processor:  2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory:  8 GB

Graphics:  NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

Monitor: 30" Apple Cinema Display

I'll check the forums periodically to see if there is any news on this issue. In the meantime I'll be going back to CS6 to get my work done. I hope the folks at Adobe are taking note of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the info panel open, close it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't make any differance having the info panel open or not, terrible in both cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same results for me, too. I do usually have the Info panel it open, but it did not make a difference when I closed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2013 Nov 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All,

I too feels slow while using the InDesign CC options like Frame adjustments, Tracking/Kerning adjustments, Space adjustments, etc. and I'm having the system with below configuration:

Processor: Core i5

RAM: 4 GB RAM

Other details: 32 bit system

Please advise.

Thanks,

Praveen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. InDesign CC is VERY sluggish when I'm moving or resizing images, and even when opening a style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is rubbish, Adobe. Seriously. I expected InDesign CC to be QUICKER, not SLOWER than CS6. I'm working on the latest 27 inch iMac, and most graphic designers I know work on a 27 inch screen. As iMacs do not have retina displays yet, you can bet that the majority of the design community will be using non-retina displays for quite some time yet, which means this retina support is completely useless unless for some strange reason you're a designer who works on a 15 inch Macbook screen (which is ridiculous when you work in CC all day, every day). It would have been good if InDesign could see that you're on a non-retina display, and turn off retina support... or even let us turn it off manually.

The reality of this situation is this: most designers don't need retina support, so it shouldn't be forced upon us, slowing down our work. This is not what we pay you good money for. Our studio cannot afford slow-downs, and unneccessary things like retina support should be left out of the updates until these sorts of issues are resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - OP here.

I understand if I need to look for some minor tweaks or change settings, but I don't want to have to be a hardware guru or delve into every single setting or troubleshoot. CS6 worked a dream on this exact setup, and CC is noticably lagging.

I just want a product that works. Especially since I've now committed to a lifetime of payments!!

Jon - I have so far been working on documents from CS6 but as soon as I start on something new I will see if it's still as annoying.

Ruth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the seamingly small percentage of people acctually moving to CC, are you guys seeing any real need to move to CC? Is there really any advantage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 was actually fine for me - but I was using the trial. (My last purchase was CS5) I decided since I had to pay for the upgrade anyway I may as well go for CC.

The problem is that if we want future upgrades we'll eventually have no choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RuthK wrote:

CS6 was actually fine for me - but I was using the trial. (My last purchase was CS5) I decided since I had to pay for the upgrade anyway I may as well go for CC.

The problem is that if we want future upgrades we'll eventually have no choice.

I thought that once you went CC that you could download and install and use CS6 apps. Or was that only for PSCS6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was DYP

Not sure - to be honest I still have CS6 installed Just In Case, but really, what's the point in going backwards? Plus the nuisance of having to go and backsave lots of files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I look at it differently with Adobe's recent track record of bug filled and strange changed features in updates and new releases, I install new software Just in Case I might need it for compatibility and to test it when I have the time. Often times it is just to much nuisance when there are deadlines and clients to satisfy to be using software that has bugs or changes that need to be figured out or design workarounds to be implemented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure why I wanted to upgrade, but I know I did!  I know I didn't do it to generate QR codes.  Having lived with it for a few days, it's like OP Ruth said originally: there are detectable and annoying pauses everywhere.  And I would like to turn transparancy back on, but then it becomes unusable for me. 

And Rene, my MacBook Pro is about a year old, and I upgraded to Mountain Lion before installing CC products.  So far, experience better on my Windows machine.

I think this was a pretty major upgrade internally, things like using the system highlight colors on both platforms, so maybe it got away on them.  Hopefully, fixes soon -- Jon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my GOODNESS, things are so slow in my install of InDesign CC too. I am operating on Mac OS X 10.8.4 on a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 Mac and the performance in CC with certain tasks I perform is just soooooo slow. Especially when it comes to working with text, whether it be typing in text, or highlighting existing text. InDesign just takes SO long to catch up.

After some experimenting I have boiled it down to having transparency turned on in the display preferences, when I have some transparent objects underneath the text. If I disable transparency in the Display Performance prefs, then all works as speedily as it did in CS 6. The only thing is that even with transparency enabled in the Display prefs in CS 6, working was text was VERY speedy...so why has this now changed in CC? I work a LOT with transparency in my layouts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same for me here mac os i5 w ssd drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This morning I went back to CS6 and what a relief, it's so much faster, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm paying for exactly. I really hope Adobe sort this out soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines