• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC responds slower than CS6 - any advice?

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using a trial of InDesign CS6 which ran smoothly for a month. Today I upgraded to InDesign CC.

I've only been using it today but there are detectable and annoying pauses when performing the following actions

Placing and relinking files

Exporting to PDF

Creating new files

Save as...

Anyone else experiencing this?

Using Windows 7 Ultimate

16GB Ram

64 bit OS

I have 250 GB SD drive for my software and a 3TB drive for my files.

I'm not great with the hardware so if I need to supply any other info please let me know!

Thanks

Ruth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 342 Replies 342
Enthusiast ,
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ruth, I am wondering, did you pay for CS6 or are you now using as part of your CC subscription?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I owned CS5, and I upgraded to CS6 as a trial.

I then purchased CC, but retained CS6 installation.

So I'm using CS6 as part of my CC subscription.

I've just had a look at the pricing and not worth upgrading to CS6, it costs the same as a few years of CC subscription.

I've only worked on a couple of files this morning, but it looks like the point raised by peter at knowhowpro, about having to check the servers, may be ruled out.

Ruth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had to retreat to CS6, as well.  Turning off transparency might make editing text okay, but the general overall sluggishness in CC sucks.  Too bad, cuz I really like the new font menu!  An update can't be far off -- Jon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI I am experiencing similar lags in Photoshop CC and to a lesser extent, Illustrator CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I just made a discovery (back in CC): if you change View->Screen mode to Preview (or Bleed or Slug), performance is identical to CS6!  That includes zooming, dragging the view around with the hand tool, etc.  Makes it totally usable, as long as you don't need a pasteboard, or want to see transparent objects -- Jon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jon, working in Preview mode really makes no difference for me personally...as long as I still have transparency enabled in the Display Performance prefs, and am working with transparent objects. I work half the time in Preview mode anyway when Iam working on layouts...

Anyway, hope this gets sorted out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, showing transparency really bogs things down.  These workarounds get kind of silly after a while, when you realize the program really isn't working!  Hopefully, soon ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 30, 2013 Jun 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3 days since installing Indesign CC . . . slow, lagging FRUSTRATING.

Constant swearing at my screen - I don't have time for this!!!!  

I read an answer from an Adobe staff member on another thread that there is bound to be some comprimise on speed with the retina support.  What?? Then give us a choice to turn it off, a job quoted as 20 hours will now surely take 40 - that's over $3000!

I hope there is a definative answer soon, I have tried everything on this thread and nothing makes a difference. Besides the fact that you should not have to turn off features that you have been using in Indesign for years just to have the program usable.

If there isn't a fix soon - can I have my money back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jun 30, 2013 Jun 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If there isn't a fix soon - can I have my money back?"

I believe you've got 30 days to try it out. If you're not happy, you can

get a refund. You've only had it installed for 3 days, so you should be

okay.

Are there any features in CC versus CS6 that you actually need?

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ariel,

I experienced similar problem, see my post for a solution: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5463084#5463084

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2013 Jul 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on the latest imac 27" with 3.4 ghz i7 processor 8 gb RAM - i have also serious troubles with performance in CC compared to CS6. In general i think CS6 is about 2-3 times faster in responsiveness. But there are also some serious slow downs on CC. Like when i click a box/picture etc. in the viewmode where i can see guides - then it takes about a sec before the box is selected which makes it horrible to work with.

Also if I moves around an object on the screen - even just a box - then the speed is very slow compared to CS6.

I haven't read anything from Adobe on this - will Adobe work on this? Are they aware of this major bug? Or what to do? Here at our agency we all stick to CS6 before CC gets faster. We were lucky to make the install before CC was released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Known issue and discussed in several threads here.

Adobe is aware of the issues for those involved and are working on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know Hope they fix it soon then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to check if you have Tahoma and Verdana fonts loaded. Someone reported something similar to this with IL and was fixed when he loaded these fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they were already installed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob> Is there a link where i can read adobe's awareness of this issue?

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob and I know this through private communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds good

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might also want to close the info panel if it's open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, i see it helps a bit - but also with info off, still the problem is too big.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2013 Aug 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob! I'm really glad to hear they are aware of this. I just went to press with a 52 page magazine and the new CC version of InDesign was intolerably slow. Scrolling (up down and side to side) was nearly impossible.

Most notably, even pasting blocks of text (up to 8 columns per spread) took up to a minute. Each block would take seconds. I have been on InDesign since CS3 and I have to say, even though ID has always been the slowest of the Suite, this version is nearly unworkable. I’m glad the Adobe is working on this but like many others, I will be going back to CS6 for the August issue of my magazine.

I have tested these symptoms on my MAC Pro and also on a 6 core Windows 8 computer and in both cases, the slowness is chronic and unworkable.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2013 Aug 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you, but like you I work crossplatform (Win8 Pro 64 and OSX

10.8.4 on a MacBook Air) and have seen no issues at all on either one.

Hopefully a patch will be out soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2013 Aug 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My InDesign CC is slower than CS6 too : screen redraw is very slow when moving elements, selecting or editing text.

Here's my configuration :

- MacPro early 2009 2 x 2,66 Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon

- 24 Go RAM / 128 Go SSD / 2 x 3 To HD

- ATI Radeon HD 4870

- Mac OS X 10.6.8

Fortunately, CS6 is installed on my computer too but what about those who want to downgrade to CS6 with a Creative Cloud subscription ?

Are the CS6 installers available to download ?

[Update] Apparently, you can choose to install InDesign CC and CS6 on this page : https://creative.adobe.com/products/indesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2013 Aug 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wasn't sure whether to cross-post this or not, but here it is!

Just returned to work after a three weeks off, checked for an update with eager anticipation ... nothing!  This is on my OS X 10.6.8 machine at work (home machines (WIndows 8 and OS X ML) each got an update in that time.  Looks like it's CS6 for my biggest project of the year -- Jon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2013 Aug 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I was hoping too but nothing! I'll be starting the September issue on CS6 today. (Frustrated)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines