Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC scrolling slow

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a document with about 30 pages varing in size from 2'x4' to 15'x15'. Most of the pages are around 8'x4'. In inDesign CS 6 I could zoom around the pages as fast as my fingers could scroll (using the 2 finger jesture on a magic mouse or track pad). The new inDesign CC is painfully slow. It lags and crawls. It doesn't matter what "display performance setting" I have it on. It shouldn't matter anyway because CS 6 could go super fast with "high quality" selected. I have a MBPr running OS X 10.8.4. I've already made too many changes to go back to CS 6 which sucks because it was sooo much faster than CC. I'm starting to regret the upgrade. I trashed the preferences and restarted my machine. Is there something I'm missing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 108 Replies 108
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2013 Oct 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off the preflight doesn't help either ... hmm I have tried everything I could find: no improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 18, 2013 Oct 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right. It doesn't really help, except maybe for typing.

I'm trying to put together a 6-page luxury real estate spread with 36 photos. Every time I import, cut, copy or paste one of the high-res photos, the spinning pizza of death comes up for a few seconds and I have to wait for it. It's taking far longer than it should to do this project.

I'm grasping at straws here. I wonder if Adobe is considering some people are using Macs in a corporate environment where all the files and graphics are hosted on a Windows server. It wasn't an issue in CS6, but I wonder if something has changed in CC.

I also am trying to figure out why InDesign has SO MANY cache files for InDesign. They don't seem to help anything, and deleting them never seems to hurt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2013 Oct 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you work with different master pages, I maybe have a solution. I was working with a 200 pages document with 8 master pages and it was very laggy.What I found out was this. When you go to one of your "master pages options" in the pages panel, you have to set "based on master" to "none". When I did this everything was as smooth as butter. I hope this will work for some of you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2013 Nov 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problems with Flash CC on my new macbook pro (fully spec-ed 16gig ram, GT 750m etc.) When I'm dragging a simple text field, it feels sluggish. I can imagine that it has something to do with rendering out all the pixels that are needed for retina.

One thing that i did notice is that when I resize the flash window to a very small size on my screen dragging around the text is much smoother and faster. When I'm running the application fullscreen, the dragging is sluggish and slow. It seems that instead of rerendering only the bit that is updated (the text) the complete flash application window is rerendered (including the ui that doesn't even change). It might be worth checking out Adobe.. I am installing indesign cc now, to see if this the case here as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2013 Nov 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for providing your valuable feedback. While we work towards resolving the issues, we want to take this engagement to the next level. We’d like to invite a limited number of people, who have been facing performance issues, to our beta program in order to work more collaboratively with them and to help us test the issues that we have fixed.

If you are interested, please drop a note with your email ID to sharewithID@adobe.com

Regards,

Dinkar

InDesign Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 16, 2013 Nov 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I was about to start roaming around on Adobe's discussion boards to find out why my newly-installed InDesign CC was so incredibly, excruciatingly slow... when I think I stumbled upon the cause.

I just did a complete scrub down and fresh install of Mavericks on my mid-2009 iMac. The OS is really slick, nice and fast, only wish they hadn't ditched Labels. The Adobe apps seemed to be working very fast, switching between them was great, loading was typical - these *are* large apps so I'm not going to gripe about a few seconds load time. I was very happy that the CC apps and Mavericks appeared to be getting along.

Then, in the middle of formatting a lengthy document, I noticed InDesign was taking forever to highlight a paragraph with quadruple-click and forever to scroll and apply stylesheets - man, it was awful.

Thinking perhaps Suitcase, my font managment tool, was the culprit, so closed off unnecessary fonts, still slow.

I had already gone through Apple's own font installs and removed what I don't need but added to Suitcase just in case.

Then realized, I had also upgraded MS Office. And along with Office comes... 337MB of fonts. These are installed in the main Library folder. I removed them and created a new set in Suitcase in case I need them. Restarted InDesign and man, it is **LIGHTNING** fast again.

I have always been proactive with my fonts, mainly because Apple has its versions, Microsoft has theirs, and Adobe's theirs, etc. etc. but quite frankly, I go into each and every one of these folders and remove any but the base font sets that are needed for system operation. This includes close to 500MB in useless Apple language fonts - totally unnecessary.

Now, with removing the Microsoft batch just 10 minutes ago... InDesign is back to normal.

So, take a look at your font installs folks, not to say you have to use Suitcase - there are other options [I don't recommend FontBook though], but pare down your fonts from the massive amounts and the various locations... you might find your system is much happier place to be.

Hope this helps others.

And, Adobe, I'd like to be added to your beta testers list... still finding quite a number of issues with Adobe apps, dating back to CS3.

Thanks, and good night... after 5 hours of applying stylesheets - I'm shot!

AndrewC1264 in Toronto, ON

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2013 Nov 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew,

We're using Windows here, could you please advise if this suggestion will also work in these systems?

Thanks in advance,

Praveen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 18, 2013 Nov 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Praveen,

Font issues could be just as problematic on a Windows system but I can't help as far as where fonts are installed and if applications install them in various locations, I would assume Adobe does install their fonts separately as they only work within Adobe apps, which is why I move them out and access them with Suitcase so all of my apps can use them. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2013 Nov 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

Not a bad solution at all but I'm not sure if this trully works or not. I tried it but still unhappy with the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2013 Nov 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the smae issue since updating to Mavericks. InDesign is lagging on everything I do. This is maddening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 20, 2013 Nov 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Patrick,

You'll be pleased to know a beta version I just reviewed today fixes these performance issues - slow type selection, slow type application, slow pages palette, etc. they are all fast in the beta version.

But when it is going to be released is anyone's guess, I'll see if I can find out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2013 Nov 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had success speeding up the files by turning off the font and file sync in the CC menu pull down. I also saved the file as an IDML file and then reopened it in IDCC. That seemed to speed up the process considerable too. I did both so I am not sure which contributed to the speed-up. but either is worth a try.

OTOH, this may not be a function that is causing slowness, but it is driving me crazy. The pull-down menu behavior is different than all other versions. The menu won't scroll by dragging the bottom of the list (or the top for that matter) but requires me to use the scroll bar at the right. Is that just me, or has anyone else had this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2013 Dec 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates on this issue? It is still amazingly slow for me, despite any recent updates. My system is blazing fast, and CS6 still works quite quickly. I'd rather not have to keep using InDesign CS6, though, since I'm paying for the Cloud now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2013 Dec 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are working on it but are still looking for people experiencing issues

to test out prerelease builds. If you'd like to be a part of that, send an

email to sharewithID@adobe.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob - just sent an email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2013 Dec 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did as suggested and am currently using prerelease build of CC 9.2 and I can tell you that the speed issues have been resolved. There may be other issues arising here and there, but I think you will all be pleased. I know I am!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2013 Dec 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's good to hear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 17, 2014 Jan 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An update for InDesign CC (9.2) is now live and is available via the creative cloud installer. This update resolves several performance problems. In addition, the update includes epub enhancements, Typekit Desktop Font Integration and Hyperlink simplification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2014 Jan 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this latest upload speeds up scrolling except overprint preview. It's still painful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2014 Jun 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CC 9.2.2 here, still having major issues with text, scrolling and moving images. Pinwheels for several seconds, more than half the time I try and do almost anything.

2012 MBP, 2.3Ghz, 16GB ram. Definitely not a hardware issue and CC was installed onto a fresh install of Mavericks, 10.9.3.

I have tried exporting to idml and working from that, doesn't seem to help.

Any help or tips would be much appreciated.

I'm losing my patience with this, it's wasting hours of my day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2015 Feb 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2015 Feb 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been pulling my hair out since installing Indesign CC.

It just isn't backwards compatible with older files. Not at all. Not even a little bit.

SOLUTION: I moved my pages into a new, blank document, and guess what? Fixed. All speed and lag issues are gone.

How lame is that? I mean, really, $50 US a month and I can't even work with my old files????

Adobe, you need to fix this issue. I'm tired of getting worked over by big companies. But, I guess you have us all captive, and unless we just don't upgrade, Adobe will get away with it.

I LOVE my CS5. And there are so many good things to love about CC. And I have always felt fairly treated by Adobe as a customer.

Please make this right. There are so few companies that care about their customers anymore, I don't want to count Adobe amongst those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2015 Jul 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just bought a new system, installing CC 2015 and expecting InDesign to absolutely fly, but it didn't...

All the same issues were occurring relating to opening InDesign CC2014 documents, 2 second delays when editing text, using space bar and mouse to scroll is a nightmare due to the delayed redaraw, in fact everything you touch on the page took a few seconds to refresh on sceen. Totally unworkable as an experienced user and trainer and kept me up all night.

My new system comprises of the latest Intel i7 5930K CPU 3.5GHz 15Mb, Asus X99 Motherboard, 32Gb DDR4 3000MHz HyperX Predator, Samsung 850 Pro SS Boot Drive, WD Black Caviar HD for data, nVidea Quadro K4200 4GB Graphics Card and brand new AOC 4K Ultra HD 28" monitor which runs in tandem with an older BenQ 27" etc. System specs are not the issue.

What worked for me moving from InDesign CS6 to CC2014 and now to CC 2015?

Turned OFF Automatic Preflight in InDesign

I now use Preflight at the end of my jobs, so just turning on when needed.

This has solved all my performance issues relating to impossible delays inserting cursor/making text changes and scrolling refresh/redraw performance.

Settings I tried but that had no effect on the InDesign perfomance delays:

• Setting graphics card to Better Performance instead of Quality
  • Turning Off Microsoft 'Clear Type' option
  • Reducing screen resolution
  • Altering InDesign Preferences
  • Closing Info Panel
  • Moving all files to my Workstation data drive

I hope this helps others, as when you are under the hammer with production, you simply cannot afford such delays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to update my post...

Closing the Pre-flight Panel has only improved the performance issue slightly.

Does anyone from Adobe have suggestions please, as these screen refresh/redraw delays have serious implications to production.

I will continue testing and looking for solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌hhave you tried saving 2014 files as idml then re saving as 2015?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines