• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign constantly crashing since 2017 update.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been working on a few different files for a few different clients, ranging from multi-page booklets (5.5x8.5" and 8.5x11" page sizes) to 2 sided menus, and ever since I've updated this week, my files take 30 mins to open (if they open at all) and then freeze when navigating throughout the document. (I've made books at the same size, over 150 pages with images and vectors with no problems like this before.)

So, 2 questions; is anyone else experiencing this issue, or an issue like this? I started using the CC libraries more often a few months ago (for vector assets like logos, not photos), could these linked files be lagging me out?

Thanks for the help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Hi Monica ,

i have Indesign 2017.1 (Build 12.1.0.56) installed.

It continues crashing when i try to click ok on a script with a GUI and with tabs.

The solution was to reinstall with deleting the user preferences while uninstalling the programm.

Without this step it didn't work, with this step the script is working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to restore your InDesign Preferences : start InDesign while you press the "cmd + opt + ctrl + shift" keys (at the same time). It destroys your preferences that can be corrupted (these corrupted preference can bring many problems. It's recommanded to rebuild them regularly). After that enter your preferences...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I tried this already per previous Adobe FAQ research, but I don't think it's a typical problem that's been addressed. I've used Adobe products for over 15 years and InDesign for the past 5. It is directly related to the recent update, as I've worked on some of these files for months with no issue, but suddenly it's affecting them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Mike.

It is really sad to hear that you are facing issues after updating to CC 2017 version of InDesign.

Please answer a few questions to help us understand the issue in more detail.

Point 1: The title of the thread mentions about crashing of ID CC 2017, but none of it is mentioned in your further comment.

Are you facing the crash on launch/opening any document?

If yes, then please share the crash report/dump with us.

Here are the steps for the same:

For Mac OS, you can directly copy paste the crash report that shows up after the crash.

You can directly mail them to me @pkandari@adobe.com

For Windows, you can follow the following steps to generate the crash dump:

1) Start Task Manager. To do this, use one of the following methods:

• Right-click an empty area of the task bar, and then click Start Task Manager.

• Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.

2) Click the Processes tab.

3) Right-click the name of the process that you want, and then click Create Dump File.

Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.

A dump file for the process is created in the following folder:

Drive: \Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp

4) When you receive a message that states that the dump file was successfully created, click OK.

Share the dump file created with steps above with us using Dropbox or any other file storage and sharing system.

Point 2: For the case where the document is now taking nearly 30 minutes to open, which is huge and not like your past experience with InDesign, would it be possible for you to share the affected document with us?

When you mentioned that you had no problems like this before, then you are comparing to which earlier version of InDesign, CC 2015.4, CC 2015 or any other?

You can send them to pkandari@adobe.com

Appreciate your help.

Thanks and Regards

Pragya Kandari

pkandari@adobe.com

InDesign Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I emailed you that report a couple of days ago and havent heard back from you. Did you receive it?

Thanks again,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

I did not receive any email from you.

I will write to you and you can reply to that.

Regards

Pragya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello pragya,

having same trouble.

has crashed 3 times in a row when trying to open hyperlinks window:

window>interactive>hyperlinks

crashes each and every time.

have sent three crash reports now via the pop-up prompt.

yet, when I highlight text to edit the hyperlink, (ctrl + click) it works no problem!

very weird

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Susan,

I have sent you an email.

Please have a look.

Regards

Pragya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i have the same problem but if we refresh incopy tasks. Massive Crashes. And we, the users are already your testers. Please read this task and i hope anyone will write me. Otherwise i'll write an press article for this bad german chat support. Thanks, Toby
Why does InDesign stop responding when I try to update InCopy Stories?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice trick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My InDesign is also crashing since the update. Three times today while working on a small invitation. Seemed to have something to do with text that had formatted tabs? I'm going a little crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kim,

I have sent you an email.

Please send your crash dump/log to me.

Regards

Pragya Kandari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kim, I am having the same issue. I'm also using formatted tabs. It's so frustrating! Hoping to find a solution soon...

Pragya (or any staff for that matter), if you try to contact me about this issue, please use twhite@eclumber.com or I will not receive it. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lewis,

I have sent you an email with some steps to resolve this.

Please give them a try.

Regards

Pragya Kandari

InDesign Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue got temporarily resolved for Lewis Group by turning OFF the Type Contextual controls preferences.

Here are the steps:

Navigate to Preference -> Advance Type -> Type Contextual controls and un-check them.

We are investigating the root cause of the issue at our end.

Regards

Pragya Kandari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to be working for me as well! Thanks so much, Pragya.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!!! Thank you!

I was trying to update multiple tabs with right indent tabs -- tried both find/replace and just selecting to paste -- but InDesign kept freezing. It's been a frustrating morning!  I unchecked the Type Contextual options and it's working fine now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Pragya!!! lifesaver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to 2017, and went through 4 crashes before finding this thread and trying post 13 solution. It works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! It worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot of this screen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue and reached out to Adobe support - but no answers yet. It is very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Are we going to get a fix/answer to this anytime this century?

How do we go back to 2016?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2016 Nov 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SJ Smith. I was having the same problem: InDesign 2017 crashed on every file I opened.

You can reinstall 2015; instructions here.

I've reinstalled ID 2015, and it isn't crashing on the same files that caused ID 2017 to crash, so it has to be something in ID 2017. (Edit: ID 2015 wasn't crashing on those files before, either. It was very stable. I'm so glad I was able to reinstall it.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines