• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Crashes When Exporting PDFs with Imported Separate .PSD Layers

Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2024 Oct 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a while my Indesign crashes/freezes 8 out of 10 times while exporting PDFs of magazine pages where in layered HiRes .psd files are imported as "seperated" PSD Layers. PSD layers are placed via import options whith checking and unchecking layer. After about 9% or 19% the PDF stops redering and freezes Indesign. Stopping the PDF export does not help. (PC latest windows version and automatic updates for Indesign on)

<Title renamed by MOD>

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2024 Oct 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope tha the hole team has to do that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way: This is an old Indesign bug, I had this one on and of for several years

If it's been happening for years it's unlikely a version problem. What are the file sizes and hardware specs? Are the PSDs 8-bit (not 16)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normal 8 bit psd files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

on and of last 10 years? haha
It is mostly when I combine cut out psd files with Indesign effects like overprint, transparantcies, blur together. Maybe these calculations are to sometimes difficult for indesign. (?) But why put them in the app when you cannot use them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

on and of last 10 years? haha
It is mostly when I combine cut out psd files with Indesign effects like overprint, transparantcies, blur together. Maybe these calculations are to sometimes difficult for indesign. (?) But why put them in the app when you cannot use them?

By @Leonidasss

Can you try "divide and conquer" approach? 

Start removing elements - linked PSDs - untill you can get working export - then examine closely affected PSD files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I flattened a few indesign effects and than it worked. I had to mimic the effect in photoshop.
But that are "work arrounds" and cost extra time. And you cannot see reel time what you do. Why doesn't it work consistant. anoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I have to make a magazine of 164 pages that is not a productive solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Leonidasss

Can you share your INDD file + a few links for investigation? Can be on priv if you prefer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2024 Oct 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I send it on priv, the zip folder is 73 mb?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @Leonidasss

Upload this ZIP somewhere - WeTransfer or something - then either post link here or click nickname of the person you want to share it with - and send it in the private message. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2024 Oct 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

By @Leonidasss

Will you share your package? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2024 Oct 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Leonidasss , What are the typical file sizes of the .PSDs and the ID file, and what are the Output/Compression settings of your Export preset?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

60 mb up to a few 100 mb for spreads, but no more than one image for a spread, some times I used in combination with transparent indesign vector shapes, with blur and multiply effects to darken surtain part of the image to place readable "white" text columns and or headings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the size for the InDesign .indd file? There is a known Photoshop metadata bug that can inflate ID files. Can you package and share an example that hangs?

Edit: I missed the 5-8mb post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The zip file is to large to send (73mb) via this medium. How can I send it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF Low res RGB spreads for customers (Copatibility: Acrobat 6 PDF1.5) or

single page HiRes CMYK 300DPI with bleed FROGRA 39 (Standard: PDF/X4:2010) (Copatibility: Acrobat 7 PDF1.6)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines