• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Crashes when trying to export a Reflowable EPUB file

Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to export an InDesign file as a Reflowable EPUB file. When I attempt to do this, InDesign become unresponsive and I get the spinning beach ball on my Mac. I can export this file as a Fixed Layout EPUB file. This file is for my students who are using a variety of devices, which is why I want a Reflowable EPUB file and not a Fixed Layout EPUB.

My InDesign file was created from a 19-page Word file (docx). Cover is set to None. InDesign freezes when attempting to create either EPUB 2.0.1 and EPUB 3.0 files. I have tried rebuilding the InDesign preferences, but that does not help. Last week I did not have this problem.

I am working on a Mac running Big Sur 11.6.2. InDesign is version 17.0.1.

Thanks,

EV

TOPICS
Bug , EPUB , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

I had this problem with previous versions but not the current one. To get rid of the influence of older versions here, I recommend to export as IDML, open that, save as INDD and export from the current version.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Another update and Workable Solution for me.

Didn't have to export the doc to an IDML file. The culprit was the Endnotes... Nothing I did could export the endnotes without Indesign totally crashing. But I found a workaround....

• Save your doc as a new Indesign doc (Like myfilename_Footnotes)
  • Convert all the Endnotes to Footnotes (Menu: Type > Convert Footnotes and Endnotes).
  • Don't worry about overtext, beacuse it'll still export
  • Now export as ePub, and check (under Text) Footnotes placement either "in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem with previous versions but not the current one. To get rid of the influence of older versions here, I recommend to export as IDML, open that, save as INDD and export from the current version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this will be helpfull for me i had this problem also.

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will give this a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willi,

Let's shout this from the rooftops! YOUR SOLUTION WORKED! A font issue. I use only two font families: Cambria and Calibri. When I reopened the IDML file and saved it back to INDD, I have 55 errors. 40 of these error were fixed by retyping the text within InDesign. The remaining 15 required me to go to Type>>Find/Replace Font and replace the "missing" font with Calbri Regular. Now I wonder if I could have fixed all 55 errors with the Find/Replace Font command.

THANK YOU!!!!

EV

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this does nto work for me as it looks like master pages get corrupted (elements shift randomly), and all the Endnotes (about 150+ of them) do not retain their links when opening the IDML doc.  I did notice though, it did export, so not sure if it has something to do with Endnote crosslinking (had similar issue berfore)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Master/Parent page content from InDesign is not implemented in exporting to Reflowable ePubs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well yeah, and I could just do this to get an export (not keep the file), but just concerned if the Master pages go all funny, what else does? 😛

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update, only crashes if I try and include Endnotes in the export, everything else exports. WIll crash if I export as layout, or as Article panel (if I inlcude the Endnotes in the artcles panel)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another update and Workable Solution for me.

Didn't have to export the doc to an IDML file. The culprit was the Endnotes... Nothing I did could export the endnotes without Indesign totally crashing. But I found a workaround....

• Save your doc as a new Indesign doc (Like myfilename_Footnotes)
  • Convert all the Endnotes to Footnotes (Menu: Type > Convert Footnotes and Endnotes).
  • Don't worry about overtext, beacuse it'll still export
  • Now export as ePub, and check (under Text) Footnotes placement either "in Pop-up", or "End of Section"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you've correctly formulated your Reflowable ePub (producing Reflowable ePubs is not intuitive), I suggest you divide the InDesign document in half and export each half as an ePub and see if you have a half that is ok and a half that isn't and keep dividing and checking until (hopefully!) you isolate the issue.

In the meantime maybe produce a PDF version for your students!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think I've ever had an EPUB export crash ID, no matter how badly flawed or how many errors it generated. OTOH, the current release seems to be stuffed with crash-test dummies, so it could be a (mostly) unrelated problem.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Derek.

Yes, I do give students access to pdfs. The distribution venue for my OERs (Open Educational Resources) works best with Reflowable ePubs because of the issue of the wide variety of device students use to access my OERs (desktop computers, laptops, tablets, and smart phones). 

I doubt that I have a font issue. I only use the Cambria and Calibri font families. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines