• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign creating huge file sizes when exporting

Contributor ,
May 19, 2018 May 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Indesign for a long time and have never had these problems before. Suddenly when I export a pdf, they are all exporting to very large sizes. I just went into an old file and updated 2 photos (replaced them with slightly different ones). This should have produced a file that was pretty much the same size as the previous version, once I exported to pdf. The older version file size was 972 KB. This latest one that I just saved was 198 MB.

None of my files seem to be embedded... I'm not seeing the embedded file icon next to any of them.

What could be causing this? I'm having weird troubles with all of my Adobe Programs right now and this one seemed to crop up at the same time. People have been suggesting that maybe I need a new graphics card. Could this sort of issue be related?

Thanks for you your help!

- Sarah

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , May 19, 2018 May 19, 2018

I can't imagine what your graphics card has to do with this. Check your PDF export settings > Compression and use Automatic (JPEG) or JPEG compression. None or ZIP will create a large, uncompressed PDF.Export_Adobe_PDF.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't imagine what your graphics card has to do with this. Check your PDF export settings > Compression and use Automatic (JPEG) or JPEG compression. None or ZIP will create a large, uncompressed PDF.Export_Adobe_PDF.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having this same issue, we have an indesign doc that we use for proof, just replace with the graphic that we are sending out, I have tried multiple image and every time we save as smallest file size pdf it comes out as a 37meg file, the file inside in photoshop arent even that large please help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

already did that and it doesn't work. never had this problem with previous versions of indesign/acrobat. 75 meg file only compresses to 58, when in the past it would compress to 12 or 13. infuriating...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bloated metadata? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Sarah:

It would be helpful to see your Adobe Export PDF settings dialog box.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system and what version of InDesign are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 20, 2018 May 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In some cases it may be necessary to try out old remedies.

By saving PS, you can have the solution to convert PDF to Distiller.

In InDesign, INX, IDML saving option is available for such documents.

Cache, color icon front views of pages, etc. resetting may be the solution.

Graphic Designer Educator / PrePress Consultant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are unnecessary. If the file is bloated it should be checked in Acrobat Pro where any bloat can also be removed without using archaic methods.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so add yet another step onto something that should/used to be simple?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with @Scott Citron and @BobLevine.

And why are you replying to a thread that is five years old anyway? Nothing has changed the correctness of their answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just went into an old file and updated 2 photos (replaced them with slightly different ones). This should have produced a file that was pretty much the same size as the previous version, once I exported to pdf. The older version file size was 972 KB. This latest one that I just saved was 198 MB.

It could be metadata being brought in with the new images. Look at this thread starting with post #57:

Re: File size is too big

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sarah,

I would like to know if the above mentioned suggestions worked for you, or the issue still persists.

Kindly update the discussion if you need further assistance with it.

Thanks,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried all the suggestions above and still haven't gotten a solution to this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What problem? There's a limit to how small you can get a file and you've given us no details at all including your definition of large.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines