Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign doesn't recognize installed fonts all the time

Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign is driving me insane.

For work, our primary font is Interstate OTF (Regular, Bold, Black, Light, Italic). I work in a mac environment (iMac 27" 5k, macOS High Sierra, Adobe CC 2018), and have the font family installed in Font Book. The family works fine in Photoshop, Illustrator and After Effects. However, InDesign is fussy. Sometimes I can use it fine with no issues. Other times, "Bold" just won't be in my list of usable fonts.

So, I took others advice from this forum, and installed the fonts in the InDesign fonts folder. Same result. Please help!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried placing the font in the User font folder which can be found through Macintosh HD>User>Home>Library>Fonts? On many Macs the Home folder library is hidden. To get to it: Launch a Finder Window in column view and click on your home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. Within the Library folder find the folder called Fonts. See screen shot:

Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 12.35.02 PM.png

This font folder should supercede all others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the quick reply. The font family is installed in that folder, and InDesign is still not recognizing it as being installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

might have a font conflict. open font book, look for the font and turn it on/ enable it. Rick click on it. see what the option is. if its on, than there is something else happening.

try suitcase fusion 30 day free trial and drop the font in there, if it does not install, there is something wrong with it. That is the difference between a professional font manager and the basic stuff that comes with mac. Suitcase fusion will not let you put something bad in it.  Font doctor ( which comes with suitcase fusion) would help you fix the font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2018 May 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Have the same problem, on all fonts in Suitcase Fusion. When i forgot to start up Fusion before Indesign, i have to close InDesign et reopen the App to use my font. And its a recent problem, only InDesign had change, Suitcase is the same, and no system update. So, what is the problem with Adobe and Suitcase ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you upgrade to Suitcase Fusion 8? Earlier versions do not have plugins for CC2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 18.0.4 (970) is it the right one ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might also need to delete your font cache. I think Font Doctor comes with a tool to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have similar problem with InDesign and fonts on the Windows platform, too.

Usually we find that TypeKit has taken over control of that particular weight of the font, bypassing our font manager (Linotype's Font Explorer) and the fonts in the Windows System Fonts folder.

Royal PITA. Just started happening about a year ago.

Check if TypeKit is managing the font. If so, go the fonts section of Creative Cloud Desktop manager and unhook it from TypeKit.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same trouble on Windows, both with ID not finding an installed font, no matter where I place it (even in ID's fonts folder), and with TypeKit.

TypeKit also conflicts with fonts I own. For example, I purchased some weights of Calluna and installed other weights through TK. ID tells me the ones I purchased are missing. I assume that's TK's doing. I love ID but sometimes--!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have been havign the same problem off and on typekit fotns are not avaialble . Turns out that I ahd been logged out of my Adobe accoutn for soem unkonw reason - when I logged back in - typekit fonts were teher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, that seemed to work only once - next time I had the same problem - have  many books with many  files/chapters[more than 300]- what a pain to go in and repoint the fonts each time - In my case I had montserrat OTF [installed form website] and  the Montserrat from Typekit - seems that Typekit takes over and  cannot  find the OTF font. I had placed the font in all possible ID folders, etc but  nada- Finally went to my  windows fonts folder and deleted the Typekit duplicate fonts - then  laboriously repointed all fonts  again - but  thankfully for the last time.

You'd think it would be  a simple thing for ID to apply  this action to all  files in a book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem. Many fonts that I load and activate in both suitcase 12.1 and font book won't show in In Design CC, yet they show in all other programs and used to show perfectly in CS6 (without having to restart in design). I waste so much time trying to get fonts to work in CC. Something really needs to be done about it. We shouldn't have to have 2 copies of the same font on our machines for them to work in In Design. If we put them in the In Design fonts folder, they won't work anywhere else, only in In Design, so we are having to have 2 copies of all our fonts. Such a waste of space and time. Adobe please figure this out for the next update of In Design CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2019 Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, but I'm on Windows 10.

I've tried the solutions offered, but the particular fonts or weights of fonts that InDesign loses aren't TypeKit, aren't managed by anything. They're just Windows installed OpenType fonts. It's a huge PITA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 08, 2019 Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my workaround - package the files [making sure you have all correct fonts ]- this creates a font folder [and links folder]  then open the file from the package - it will always use the fonts in the fonts folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me! Yay!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain in a way that someone very new on InDesign like me can understand? What does mean "package the file"?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You use 

File>Package

This gathers all the information related to the file.

Including

InDesign File

Optional PDF file 

Links

Fonts

And creates and folder containing all the elements related to the project that are part of that InDesign file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the indications before, it brought me here. 

I had a similar problem. Font is active, installed in the right place. 

What I saw is that in the newest version(s) of InDesign when looking for the font it did not appear.

I realized that I had active the "Show Favourite Fonts", the "Show Recently Added", and the "Show Activated Fonts". See below. 

Captura de pantalla 2023-11-21 a las 10.32.20.png

No matches found.

When I click off the buttons the font does appear. 

Captura de pantalla 2023-11-21 a las 10.32.28.png

It looks as if the fonts outsied of Adobe are not treated the same. 

My request would be to change this and include all fonts in the search/show buttons. 

And maybe this is not true for others and wanted to share. 

Wish it helps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CuandoEscuchoDibujo,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing the suggestions that worked for you. I am sure it will help other community members. In addition to that, you can also refer to this article for suggestions on this issue.

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar, though different, font problem. I'm using lots of Adobe fonts, and about half the time when I start up InDesign, the fonts aren't available and I get the missing fonts error. I have to close all Adobe apps and reopen them, sometimes multiple times, for the fonts to actually load. This is despite the fact that Creative Cloud always shows them installed and active. Then it's fine until the next reboot. This is very annoying and time-consuming. Windows 11

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2023 Dec 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting this!!!! I've been going crazy for weeks because nothing was working, even tried 2 different font management programs and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't show system active fonts... I must have accidentally clicked on that filter before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've had trouble with Helvetica Neue going missing from InDesign several times. I just clicked on the dropdown button on the list of fonts and it looked like there was a filter turned on. I'm not even sure what filter it was, I just turned it off and suddenly I could find Helvetica Neue again. Thanks for sharing this suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines