• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign file w/ linked Illustrator file w/ linked Photoshop file?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there away to have Indesign "Package" all content if I am linking to Illustrator created art that also contains links to Photoshop files? Basically a "daisy chain" of links. Indesign is used to unifiy the graphics and text but it is easier to create specific art in Illustrator with placed (linked) files. I link some Photoshop files in Illustrator because this is an easy way to go back and edit the original Photoshop file if need be.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you place an AI file, InDesign is only looking at the PDF portion. It has no concept of the structure of the Illustrator file.

That said, if I had to guess, I'd say someone has probably scripted this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lacking the script that Bob supposes, the only way would be to embed the Photoshop files in Illustrator. It's not difficult:

Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 2.01.25 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was actuallty looking for a way to keep all files linked. I didn't want to embedd the PS files incase I wanted to edit or resize them for some reason later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you needecd access to the Photoshop image, either keep a back up or Unembed the Embedded image which Illustrator can do.

Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 2.03.50 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, that that is all true. It is more a function of workflow that I am in. Once the Indesign file is finalized it is packaged, compressed and archived. If I had to make an edit in the future, I would download the compressed files, uncompress and make the edits. If the edits involved the Illustrator file that had links, the originals would be gone because they weren't packaged. If I embed the PS files in Illustrator that would negate this problem but if I wanted to edit the original at original size, I can't because the file was scaled after it was placed and embedded.

It would be nice if Indesign recognized the link in Illustrator as well so you didn't have to embed anything. Wishful thinking. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could always make a feature request, but I would rate its chances as very low.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I agree. I just thought I would pose the question only because I know I don't know all of the nuances of the software. Thanks for the response. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's nothing preventing you from manually adding the original Photoshop links manually to the links folder in the package after it is created...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. I was just looking for an automated way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need later to edit the Photoshop file linked to Illustrator you can also package the Illustrator file.

InDesign does not need the linked file to an ai file. But if someone opens this ai file (accidently), all missing links and fonts will cause damage to that file. Therefore I recomment to save from Illustrator the ai file as PDF/X-4 and use that in InDesign. Accidently opening and saving will open Acrobat and not cause any damage. You need to package and archive the Illustrator file extra to be enabled to work on it on a later point in time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willi,

Thank you for your input. I will give it some thought. This current job has required me to change workflow styles that I have used in the past.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Allen,

I see the issue. And a possible problem to miss an image file whenever the Illustrator file must be edited in the future.

And no, I see no way to do this in one step with the Package feature of InDesign.

BTW: Illustrator has a Package feature as well.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Uwe for the information. The nature of my new(ish) job has me adjusting how I intereacted with these software packages compared to previous. Essentially, I have to alter the PS files to get them nice, then add some additional content which is easier in ILL if I place the PS file. After that it ultimatley resides in an ID document. That seems to work well as I never no which portion of the reviewer will want to make changes to.

Thank you all for your input.

Best regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines