• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign. Is it possible to push text outside text frame?

Contributor ,
Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a single column report. We would like the pull-quotes to slightly extend outside the width of the text frame. i.e. the quotes will be wider than the column. Is this possible?

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

No, make the page margins smaller, make therefore the text wider, in the paragraph style make the left inset larger. So you can extend text to the left of the optical border. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I could set up a multi column layout. With most of my text spanning several columns, and the quote paragraph style spanning all the columns. This would create the look of the quotes extending out of the column of text.

BUT  is there an easier way of extending text outside the text frame?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried Optical Alignment with the Story panel?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. That only optically aligns the left hand (if left aligned) edge of the text (i.e. pushes quote marks outside of the text frame).

My text frame or column is 130mm wide and I would like the quotes to be 160mm wide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry--I misread your query as wanting the quotes marks extending outside the pull quote frame. (Sound of me slapping my forehead...)

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, make the page margins smaller, make therefore the text wider, in the paragraph style make the left inset larger. So you can extend text to the left of the optical border. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant. Thank you.

My body text now has 30mm right indent and the pull-quotes no indent – so they extend out by the 30mm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also try putting them in their own frames and making them anchored objects...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Spier wrote:

You could also try putting them in their own frames and making them anchored objects...

This is what I do.

The margin has to be wide enough to hold the frames. The object style can include the spacing from the column edge and as well as align toward (or away) from spine).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Select the text.

Convert the text to a table

Include a left indent on the table sitting in the paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines