Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign is slowing down while open documents in InDesign 19.4 on macOS

Explorer ,
May 20, 2024 May 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IND 19.4, Mac OS 14.4.1, Apple Mac Studio, M2 Ultra, 2T SSD, 64GB Ram

I still have the issue with the slow down to a crawl of IND when trying to open documents, close them, export to PDF...

IND slows to a crawl and I'm stuck awaiting on a spinning beachball. I've tried the suggestions other have posted, i.e., turning off GPU, unsintalling IND and resintalling, deleting preferences. I posted a bug report to Adobe's site and didn't get get a response. though I can understand with their volume that might not be possible. I even resintalled the Mac OS thinking that might do it, but it's not any better.

I've created a bunch of documents in 19.4 so going back gives me the error of trying to open them in 19.3. Oddly enough, when running 19.3, the slowdown was still there. I'm just about out of ideas. I don't know what to do. I haven't upgraded to Sonoma 14.5; that was going to be my last resort to see if it helped but i didn't want to make the problem worse by upgrading to an untested or unapproved by Adobe version of the OS. But I'll try that at the end of the day. I've runDisk Utlity and everything on my Mac and no errors came up.

I just don't know what to do anymore. My workflow has slowed to the point where someone's going to start asking why things are taking so long to turnaround. I just can't think of anything that hasn't been tried already.

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Guide , May 20, 2024 May 20, 2024

Even if you have not knowingly installed it, the Mac's Migration Assistant might have given a "helpful" hand to inherit it from a previous machine.

Also looking further down I'd weed out Type1 fonts, maybe there is a corrupt one around?

Speculating here that InDesign itself won't tell as it is ignoring them for good reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide , May 20, 2024 May 20, 2024

While InDesign is now supposed to ignore them, you watched FontAgent burn 92.186% of the time to get the postscript name from MacOS CoreText and deeper.

We're talking about 2000 samples during 2 seconds of Activity Viewer.

Repeat with some more reports until InDesign has a chance to show the open document, but I think we got a hit.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mojoprime

Sorry for the frustrating experience. We will try our best to help you here. Would you mind telling us if this happens with all the files created in the 19.4 version or if it also happens with the older version files? Is it possible for you to share the file with me via private message so that we can investigate on our end?

We will make every effort to assist you here.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent you a PM. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a test file. I didn't find anything wrong with the fie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here that document loads almost immediately.

Can you retry with disconnected network?

Another try: (UI texts back-translated from German)

Open Applications >> Utilities >> Activity Viewer

Select InDesign in the process list

Have a look at the gear icon's dropdown menu, third from left.

Hmm, in my macOS 13 that icon was changed to a circle with three dots, (…)

You'll later need "Analyze Process"

Open your document

While the application is busy, invoke that menu item

Wait a while for the report

Choose the "Percent of Thread" view

Dive into the first/top thread

Skip all 100%, when it changes to slightly less e.g. 98% that's the the area of interest.

If there are many "_CFRun", "_NS" or "mach_", choose a bit higher or retry another report.

Take a screen shot, include few lines above and below, or quote the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't understand. is this what you mean?

Screenshot 2024-05-20 at 12.15.16 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't need to have java installed, do i?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost that, but for the top thread.

Its topmost node (in the first line, no indents) should have the name "com.apple.main-thread"

The better readable part is the (in …) indicating the module/library.

Above your blue line, you see that "Vulcan" is mostly waiting to "recv" receive something from "libystem", no change descending within the 99.951% until there.

That "recv" is one of plenty other system calls (…sleep, …wait) where threads are just idle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

see if this is closer. FYI -- i don't have Font Agent installed so i'm not sure why it's showing.

Screenshot 2024-05-20 at 12.52.20 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if you have not knowingly installed it, the Mac's Migration Assistant might have given a "helpful" hand to inherit it from a previous machine.

Also looking further down I'd weed out Type1 fonts, maybe there is a corrupt one around?

Speculating here that InDesign itself won't tell as it is ignoring them for good reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But InDesign won't use Type 1 fonts anymore, right? It only accepts TT and OTF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While InDesign is now supposed to ignore them, you watched FontAgent burn 92.186% of the time to get the postscript name from MacOS CoreText and deeper.

We're talking about 2000 samples during 2 seconds of Activity Viewer.

Repeat with some more reports until InDesign has a chance to show the open document, but I think we got a hit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Holy crap! I don't know if it was the Font Agent files (all deleted) or some bad Type 1 fonts, like you said, but it's back to running at full speed!

THANK YOU SO MUCH! You have no idea how much this impacts my bottom line.

Thank you again. I'll post more if the issues creeps up again. Thanks so much again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mojoprime

How big are your INDD files? 

Try IDMLing - export as IDML, open - Save with a new name. 

Please read this post for more info about the difference between Save and Save As:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/indesign-files-force-quitting-with-quot-unknown-... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.8mb file size; and I itried the .idml shuffle too, thinking it might be a problem with the file. No luck. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

once the file is open, everything moves pretty well. it's opening, saving and exporting. all file sizes, from small to large. it doesn't matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines