• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign keeps crashing when exporting or packaging a file

Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was in the middle of exporting some files on tuesday and after about five files, indesign crashed trying to export. It has since continued to crash (no error messages, no spinning color wheel), every time I try to export. Yesterday I discovered the same happens when I try to package files. 

I'm on a MacOS running Monterey 12.5 (updated early this week)

I've tried rebooting, uninstalling & reinstalling indesign, I ran a deep scan on cleanmymac...all to no avail. I have to get on my second computer to be able to export or package anything and it's getting really time consuming as that machine is slower. I have lots of deadlines and need to be able to use indesign without this happening.

Are there any fixes for this?

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Hi @mtmouradHF ,

the crash could be specific to your InDesign document and its placed graphics or images and also its used fonts.

So I would suggest the following procedure:

[1] Quit InDesign and get rid of a possible *.idlk file that is stored in the same folder with your document you want to package. Also trash your InDesign cache folder in your user folder. The path is:

~/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version 17

[2] Open the document and make sure all linked images and graphics are ok in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Hi @mtmouradHF ,

could be that you are looking into the wrong Library folder.

Hm, when I recall this right, the Library folder of your personal user folder is invisible by default. I'm on Windows 10 and not on MacOS. To make this folder available use the menu command Go to in the Finder. When you press the Option key you should see a new menu entry that is named Library. That's the one!

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting your InDesign preferences? This will bring the program back to its defaults which, hopefully will get the program to behave as it should.

To do so on a Mac:

The User Library folder in which InDesign’s preferences are stored is hidden by default on most Macintoshes. To access it make sure that InDesign is closed and click on the desktop to launch a Finder Window (Command-N). With this window in column view follow the path User>Home folder (it’s the folder with an icon that looks like a house—it may have the user’s name rather than “Home”) and click on the Home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. “Library” will now appear within the Home folder. Within the Library folder find the folder called Preferences and within it find the folder called “Adobe InDesign” and the file called “com.adobe.InDesign.plist” and delete both that folder and that file. When InDesign is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

The advantage of manually deleting preference files in this manner is that after you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, you can create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bill Silbert I've tried to follow your steps to do this, however, I cant find all the folders you're referring to so I cannot find the files to delete. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mtmouradHF ,

the crash could be specific to your InDesign document and its placed graphics or images and also its used fonts.

So I would suggest the following procedure:

[1] Quit InDesign and get rid of a possible *.idlk file that is stored in the same folder with your document you want to package. Also trash your InDesign cache folder in your user folder. The path is:

~/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version 17

[2] Open the document and make sure all linked images and graphics are ok in the Links panel.

[3] Now package just the document without packaging fonts, placed images and do no PDF export or IDML export.

If that is successful, include IDML in the packaging process. If that will work without flaw include the used fonts. Still no crash? Then you see a problem with the placed graphics and images.

From that point on do not package the document, but do a PDF export with single PDF pages.

Maybe then you'll see a crash at one point, at a particular page where an image or a graphic is placed that is causing the crash. Come back and let us know at what particular point in the workflow above the crash occurs.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks @Laubender the crash seems to be happening with every file at this point. I've tried searching for the "Adobe InDesign" folder in my caches folder but there isnt one that seems to exist. All the linked images and graphics in my files are all correctly linked with no issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mtmouradHF ,

could be that you are looking into the wrong Library folder.

Hm, when I recall this right, the Library folder of your personal user folder is invisible by default. I'm on Windows 10 and not on MacOS. To make this folder available use the menu command Go to in the Finder. When you press the Option key you should see a new menu entry that is named Library. That's the one!

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting that folder seems to have worked! Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Um, just to recap:

You moved to the Library folder of your user folder, there you navigated to subfolder

Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version 17 and you removed the Version 17 folder?

That resolved all your issues with exporting to PDF and IDML and therefore also the issue with apckaging your documents?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I had the same problem trying to package through a VPN. When I moved the whole folder (including pictures and links) to a local drive, it took only a few minutes to package 🙂

Hope this helps...

Lucie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines