• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign - missing Text/ Images when Publish Online

Contributor ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having a really bad experience with Indesign at moment. Been using for about 12 years, on latest cloud version.  Objects such as drawn indesign objects and svg are suddenly going missing when Publishing Online.  All since 3rd March (yesterday).  Have rolled back to earlier file version, but also having the same problems, wondering if it's a program software issue?   Any help appreciated

TOPICS
Bug , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Explorer , Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Hi everyone!

For me it seems to finally work now!

Hope it stays this way,

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

I ran a few test using automatic and it seems to be working again? 

Have anyone else tried?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Hi there,

Sorry about this experience. This issue has been fixed. I would request you all to check again and share your observations with us.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 140 Replies 140
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide screenshots and a link to the Publish Online version?

FWIW, SVG can be quite wonky there's no way I would attempt to use it with anything but a true web authoring platform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

Have used SVGs since Aug last year on this document, been totally rock steady, don't think SVGs are the issue because indesign native drawn objects and text disappearing also.

Regards

Nigel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

I disagree with you about SVGs, I've been using them for about 8 months and have found them to be fantastic, particularly in retina phones where the sharpness is great. But, and it's a big but, I don't use Illustrator to create SVGs, I use Affinity Publisher. The only restriction when bringing them into a document is that once the SVG is placed at the size of the selection you make, you can't scale them up or down, you have to place them again if you want them bigger or smaller.  But that's minor compared to the advantages they give.  It's a real pity that Adobe don't give more control on SVGs such as a dialogue box where you can edit properties by menu, without having to go into the code.

Regards

Nigel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

Looks like it's a problem with the Adobe servers, so if you look at the image below, you can see objects listed, but failure of servers to deliver.  Can something be done because this malfunction if not sorted will damage my business?

Regards

Nigel

Server failure.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nigel,

could be an issue of the service.

We have one other case here in the forum where strange things happen with Publish Online.

Publish online problem – documents not displayed correctly
Schuler-Gätjens, 03.03.2022
https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/publish-online-problem-documents-not-displayed-c...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,
Indesign publish online has worked solidly for past 8 months on app
project, no problems at all, but yesterday started noticed missing items
such as svgs and indesign drawn objects. Totally baffled

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yes, screenshots of the issue and your InDesign document would help.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

2 images attached, one showing images placed within InDesign, the other
showing how it appears when published online. This shows missing InDesign
drawn objects such as sand and sea.

Rgrds
Nigel

[image: cover - indesign doc.jpg][image: cover - published online.jpg]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are 4 images, one showing all correctly placed objects within InDesign, the other showing missing objects. So for the cover design, missing InDesign objects which is odd as usually Indesign renders the background objects into a bitmap.  Secondly, the menu page is missing SVGs, when I replace them, then other SVGs then disappear. Also the indesign blue rectangle behind icons disappears - very worrying.

App menu published online.jpgApp menu Indesign doc.jpgcover - indesign doc.jpgcover - published online.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I opened file from early January, published online, then the same problem with cover -missing objects - which never occurred before.  Been working on this project since August 21

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

Also, just now created new test file, then published online, it's gone mad!  See below, one Indesign, other Publish Online result

Regards

Nigel

totally new file test - Publish Online.jpgtotally new file test - Indesign.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"2 images attached"

Unfortunately not. Did you perhaps answered by mail?

That will not work with attachments. You have to use the forum editor.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for letting me know, I'll log in to the forum Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nigel,

thank you for your screenshots! Now I think it's clear what happend.

That's a severe bug with InDesign and Publish Online regarding SVG files.

Make sure that the Transform panel is showing the placed SVG with 100% scaling and not with a different percentage value. Please read into my post I linked below and follow all the steps; even if that means that you have to save the graphics anew from Illustrator or if you have to edit code in the SVG files:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/images-not-exporting-properly-when-publishing-on...

The most important thing:

When in InDesign do not use Preferences > General > Scaling >

[x] Adjust Scaling Percentage

If you already scaled placed SVG graphics and a scaling percentage different from 100 % is showing up use the Transform panel and readjust the scaling percentage to 100%. That's a menu command there. And switch your InDesign preferences for scaling back to the default value "Apply to Contents".

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're also having issues with Publish Online where we upload something, and random text boxes will show a "broken page" icon, when the text is typed directly into the Indesign file. We will then go back and try to reupload the file to Publish Online and then the issue will affect another text box (sometimes images or effects too) and the original problem text box is fine. Attached screen shot.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

can you give an URL of your Publish Online project so that we can test different browsers on different platforms?

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

Looks like it's a problem with the Adobe servers, so if you look at the image below, you can see objects listed, but failure of servers to deliver.  I'm hoping somebody will do something about this promptly, but if you can urge them also, that may help.

Regards

Nigel

Server failure.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 05, 2022 Mar 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

Before we go down the SVG route - I know there are issues, can I point you to the cover images again below.  There are no SVGs on this document, and, Indesign objects are missing.  If you look, I've done screenshots by exporting as .pdf and also as bitmap .png.  The pdf shows missing text, but the .png has no problems at all.  I'm sure the issue is with the software.

In relation to SVGs, the project I've been working on for the past 8 months was started after initial research into SVGs.  I found out that the Illustrator generated SVGs caused many problems, I ended up using Affinity Designer, pasting graphics from Indesign into AD and then producing the SVG.  This has proved rock-solid over past 8 month and I don't think SVGs are the issue. I've made very heavy use of SVGs as the Web App I'm building is for smartphones.  So if you look at the following, they're ALL SVG images and I've used at least 250 in the document, and they've all been OK in that time. See links here

https://indd.adobe.com/view/5e91a281-3e56-41f2-8125-fe625bd953bd

https://indd.adobe.com/view/8b9ebc5a-1c2d-4d66-855c-a3d00f69154e

https://indd.adobe.com/view/143ab547-4255-4342-ac7f-a68495065e37

https://indd.adobe.com/view/e87b3a91-20b8-4f0e-aa8f-4614276b6081

Regards

Nigel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also Uwe,

I've reinstalled InDesign today, and did the most basic test with indesign drawn circle and square and 2 SVGs (leaf and person).

See the results BELOW.  Is there any way this could be a file delivery issue on AWS I wonder. You can see no problem at all with SVG.

Regards

Nigel

new doc 5th Mar - Indesign Doc.jpgnew doc 5th Mar - Publish Online.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nigel,

because you reinstalled InDesign scaling the SVGs is no issue anymore.

The default for scaling in the preferences is "Apply to Contents".

That you have a "broken link" issue with one frame is the new bug with the service itself.

BigBob22 now is the third one who is reporting problems in that direction.

I will do some tests as well and report back.

Maybe I can trace the issue also in the Windows temp folder of my user account.

InDesign's Publish Online feature is writing all the HTML to that temp folder first, then delivers to the web.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

You said that "because you reinstalled InDesign scaling the SVGs is no issue anymore".  This has never been an issue - using Affinity Publisher to author the SVGs has given me totally stable SVG control over past 8 months without any issues whatsoever.  Just wanted to clarify this because SVGs are not the issue, it's the broken links that are, and this applies to InDesign objects also, including rectangles, text.

Regards

Nigel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

thanks for joining us here.

I think there are two issues.

[1] Randomly "broken link" icons with missing content in the online publication.

That could be a bug with the Publish Online service itself. But of course, I'm not sure about it.

That's a new issue.

[2] Scaled SVG files that are out of position and out of scale. So much out of position that they do not show up on the page when published online. The elements are just missing and there is no "broken link" icon.

An older bug that I discovered and explained above and, well, this is a bug within InDesign directly and not of the service behind Publish Online.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back to Nigel's scaling issues with placed SVG files.

Nigel, look into this where I tried to explain the workaround for the scaling problem:

https://indd.adobe.com/view/d5755598-459c-431b-b426-efa35c3fa0cd

The other issue with Nigel's missing contents where a broken link icon (?) is visible on the Publish Online page is a different problem. A new one. And I have no explanation for this and I cannot tell if there is anything one could do to prevent it. A failure of the service behind Publish Online perhaps.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

Please assure me that this broken link issue is being escalated to be fixed a.s.a.p. because as explained before I've been working on this web app for 8 months and it was supposed to be completed at the end of this month.  I have clients booked in to advertise, I really cannot afford to let them down - it will damage my company's reputation, and also slow down the progress of my new post-Covid business.

Regards

Nigel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines