Exit

InDesign Newsletter - June 2022

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hockey Community.png

Hi Everyone,

Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder is one of the oldest idioms & I think it is very true for Creatives. A creative person can observe anything good in real life & bring that beautiful concept to design. If you're still thinking about a good place to do such an observation then I would recommend you to attend the Women's FIH Hockey World Cup. Be it a cheering flag, stadium lights, Design of the stadium, Billboards, or anything else that might help you as an inspiration for your next design. Adobe Capture which is available as an InDesign desktop extension & as a separate mobile app as well will make it easy for you to extract Color Themes, Shapes, or text Types from any image like a cakewalk.

Andrea's tutorial in this edition of our newsletter "Extract Colors, text Types and Shapes with Adobe Capture Extension in InDesign 2022" should get you on your way.

If you want to stay tuned to similar updates, please follow our Adobe InDesign Newsletter Home page to receive notifications for our newsletter on monthly basis.

Adobe Community Professional Highlight

I'm honored to feature "Mike Witherellas our community superstar for this month. Mike has been a part of our community for more than 20 years now. Mike is an expert in  InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, InCopy, and graphic design. Mike has contributed to over 3.6K posts 👍🏻.  We are thankful for his contribution to our community. 
Let's know more about him in his own words:-

Witherell-Mike-Ula-3.png

"From an early age, before I was old enough to go to school, I was in love with reading books. I used to argue with elementary-school librarians over big books I wanted to check out and read. I read everything.

When I was about 9, my grandfather gave me a flat wooden box filled with a complete set of alphabet letters in the form of rubber stamps. It even had one shaped like a pointing hand dingbat. From then on, I was fascinated by printing, and I chose graphic design technical courses all through my schooling.

I joined a job printing company in 1979. I operated a Multilith 1250 press and the light table, platemaker, and darkroom stat camera.

Even then, that place seemed like a printing museum because it had a Heidelberg windmill and a Chandler & Price manual letterpress. There was an ancient flatbed press that was used to make election posters. There were paper cutters and bindery equipment, and banks of cold metal and wooden types were everywhere.

I was sometimes sent down the street to another print shop. They had a Linotype machine, and the operators made sure I stood close enough to the machine to be burned by the hot lead injection. I hope you get the chance to see one of those in action. It is quite a contraption. I remember going to a printing trade show where we tried out an electric typewriter that had 8k of memory and its daisy wheel could print out justified text. This was also the time of first-generation photo-typesetters with their glass wheel typefaces like the Addressograph-Multigraph Varityper system I worked on. It was all very clumsy to use. But the future was coming.

I learned much about typesetting and the printing craft from a man named Carlton Slonaker, who looked the very stereotype of a printer, from his goatee beard to the green typesetter’s visor on his balding head. His knowledge of the craft was endless.

Bear in mind that this is before the desktop publishing revolution. Apple was just barely a young company selling the Apple II computer. The Sony Walkman had just been introduced. There were no smartphones and no one had yet heard of the internet. Graphic design was a largely mechanical art with wax, tape, litho film, and X-Acto knives.

Even when the Macintosh Classic and later the early DOS/Windows IBM PCs came along, none of the early products worked very well. The 1985 revolution didn’t really settle down into deadline-worthy products until about 1991 and later.

But I was caught up in the emergence of it so much that my wife, Urszula, and I started our own graphic design business after seeing a software called Aldus PageMaker sometime around 1987. WYSIWYG. It was running on a computer in an electronics franchise store known as ComputerLand. Although I was unfamiliar with the software, I knew all about what it was meant to do. I felt as if I had seen the future!

Together with an early laser printer, we dove headfirst into that time of change. I remember watching in awe as the first sheet of paper printed out of a 300 dpi laser. Incidentally, that is how we invented our company name, JetSet Communications, because we were among the first to do Laser-Jet-type-Set-ting.

We were among the first to acquire a desktop scanner and could work with a filetype called a TIFF image. You mean you don’t have to color separate it manually? For the longest time, I could not believe my eyes!

We were producing fully composed magazine pages for clients by the fall of 1991 using Aldus PageMaker (later InDesign) and the PostScript level 2 printer driver, along with Photoshop and Illustrator, and a bit later an Iomega Bernoulli drive. Pasteup and hot and cold metal typesetting processes were suddenly set to decline.

By the mid-1990s, the internet burst on the scene. Corporations and Federal agencies were rapidly taking design production work in-house. What emerged was a sudden demand to train a whole workforce on all these new computer methods of publishing that we had pioneered.

My wife and I took the opportunity to begin teaching Adobe classes initially with a training company called Editorial Experts in Washington DC. We organized the Washington DC area InDesign User Group. We have been helping answer questions on the Adobe InDesign Support Community since around 2002.

Across the years we have worked with every Adobe training company including our own, TrainingOnsite.com, where you will find an abundance of useful and unique study and production helps.

On our Adobe journey, my wife and I have practiced print publishing, advertising, web publishing, social media, video editing, and accessibility in documents and video.

We still pursue our love of publishing and graphic design and reading. We have participated in fascinating and unique client projects over the course of our career. We are still learning new things and it is still just as fascinating as when I was a child.

In the Adobe Community, it is a pleasure to know and work with a lot of you who are just as dedicated to this communication art as my wife and I are.” 

If you would like to know more & connect with Mike & Urszula on social media then please use the links mentioned below:-

YouTube |    LinkedIn  | Facebook EmailTrainingOnsite.com

To know more about our Adobe Community Professionals, click here.

New tutorial:- Adobe Capture desktop extension & Mobile App

Extract Colors, Text types and Shapes with Adobe Capture Extension in InDesign 2022:-

Adobe Capture extension in InDesign

Adobe Capture-Free Mobile app

The Future of Creativity

Are you metaverse ready?

How to get started with Adobe’s 3D design tools

Behance stream flashback

Designing a Children's Book by using Fresco & InDesign with Markita Staples:-

Designing Characters for a Children’s Book - 1 of 2

Designing Characters for a Children’s Book - 2 of 2

Helpful links

User guide | FAQCommon troubleshooting steps System requirements | Tutorial

To receive notifications for our newsletters for other Apps, please follow these pages:-

Photoshop |  Lightroom | Lightroom Classic | Illustrator | After Effects 

Follow InDesign on 
Instagram | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Vivek12  Unpin this thread please. 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, George. I have unpinned this edition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, George. I have unpinned this edition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines