Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign not updating links

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using InDesign v 17.3 on macOS Monterey 12.4 .

Recently when I modify some PDFs linked to my presentation, even if i see  I am unable to update it when I right clik on the modified link.

Links are saved locally, on my desktop.

How do I solve this ?

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

So we learn, the problem is rooted in AutoCAD. Therefore I recommend to use Acrobat Pro to repair those files. It seems there are some hidden problems in those files. Open them in Acrobat Pro and run a rapair with Printing Tools > Preflight. Best convert or proof if the file is a valid PDF/X (best X-4). If that is done, I am sure that problems are solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's strange. Try to reset preferences: quit InDesign and relaunch it while holding down the Shift, Ctrl, Alt and Cmd keys until you see a warning message asking for confirmation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for your answer, but the problems persists .

I already tried unistall/re-install and it did not solve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you get the warning message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what happens if you close the InDesign file and you open it again? No message about links to update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the messages, I click on "update modified links" but nothing happens, I still have the yellow warning signs and i am still unable to update the links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The document may be corrupted. Try to export it as idml.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It still have the same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's try something else. Move the links to another folder on your hard drive, to force InDesign to “see” the links as missing links. Then try to relink the files. If it has no effect, here is another way to reset preferences: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/panels-and-preferences-reset-constantly/m-p/9568...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Chiara25288312e0s3 ,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. In addition to the suggestions shared by @jmlevy . You can also try the steps shared here https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/indesign-cc-17-3-update-all-links-not-working/m-... and let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

After having reset all my preferences, I unistalled all my Adobe Apps with Creative Cloud Cleaner and I still have the same issue.

I tried relocating the files and it finds all the links missing but not the PDF files, that i have to relink manually, one by one. 

These pdfs are generated by AutoCAD, I don't know if this might be the issue.

Regards,

Chiara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying. Could you please check if it's happening with other PDF files or with PDFs created from Auto-Cad?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems it occours just with the AutoCad generated files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So we learn, the problem is rooted in AutoCAD. Therefore I recommend to use Acrobat Pro to repair those files. It seems there are some hidden problems in those files. Open them in Acrobat Pro and run a rapair with Printing Tools > Preflight. Best convert or proof if the file is a valid PDF/X (best X-4). If that is done, I am sure that problems are solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I'm working in InDesign 19.1 on an iMac running macOS Sonoma v. 14.2.1. The file was working fine last week and now it shows most of my links are modified. 

When I click on any of the yellow warning icons, I get an error message stating "Import Failed." 

If I try to replace those links with the proper links from my Dropbox, I get the exact same error message. 

I've restarted my mac numerous times but nothing is fixing this issue.

Do you have any suggestions for me? 

Thanks in advance! Lindsay Hill

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 5.12.07 PM.png Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 5.13.39 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First, update to macOS 14.3. It fixes various InDesign issues (albeit maybe not related to the one you describe).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines