• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign on M1 Macbook problems with saving on SMB share

Participant ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, english is not my native language, so I'm not sure if all the terms are right, but I hope the problem gets clear anyway.

So, opening an Indesign document and saving it on an SMB share is working normally.

Opening this document and saving and replacing it takes forever.

It seems there appears a second document that is saved. 75% of the saving work fine and then it gets very slow. 0,1MB every 7-10 seconds. A document with 70 MB takes about 20 minutes to save.

When the second appeared document has the full size the save is finished and the original document is replaced. I guess this is some new feature or something.

Doing this with different M1 MacBooks and it's always the same, saving is veeeeeeeery slow.
Using an Intel iMac with the same Indesign version and Mojave: no problem.
Using an Intel iMac with Big Sur and the same Indesign version: no problem.

So there seems to be a problem with Indesign and M1 Macs when saving and replacing a document on an SMB share and this really needs to be fixed as soon as possible. Working is nearly impossible because all you can do is waiting or save on the internal drive and then copy it to the SMB share, but that's quite cumbersome.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is it for other Apps? Or is it just InDesign?

Have you contacted Apple Support? 

The M1 chip is new - has the SMB been configured to work with the new M1 chip? 

There seems to be a few reports on a google search for SMB on Big Sur and M1 chip being slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

as far as I can say it's only a problem with InDesign.

Apple Support is not yet contacted since on friday there will be some update to our servers.

I'm waiting if this will change anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, unfortunately no fix here.

Servers seem to be faster, but saving over an Indesign file that is on the SMB share still s*cks.

Since everything else works fine this must be a Indesign problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines