• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign or an alternative (iPad - I’m honestly stuck)

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly I didn't know much, I was told by my profs I needed to use Adobe products, specifically Adobe InDesign because I'm going into publishing (which I'd like to pursue as my profession in the future) the issue is I'm an iPad user and before someone comes at me saying they don't plan to ever show one on iPad & such I've had this device for years and I can't switch for a new device (which I initially bought for graphic design & digital drawing/note taking); personally I'd love to continue using Adobe specially because I bought it for a year (because I know I should use for my program in Publishing) but alas. The worse of it is that I can use this device as a laptop but can't use the apps I need.

Does anyone have any suggestions on alternatives for InDesign or a way to make it work (from research it seemed they had a program but they discontinued it - Adobe Comp) honestly I desperately need help I'm a very broke University Student who's really just trying to get this to work because I believed I needed Adobe but I can't really use it how I need it, feeling a little bit screwed because of this whole situation.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have home PC somewhere? You can try to remote work through some program like AnyDesk, but this will be not so easy.

Therefore, I do agreeable with Adobe Engineers, let's all InDesign for tablets fire in hell. This is not a software for phones and tablets. Try some another soft like Figma or Illustrator if you have not so complex layout for a few pages.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I can offer is a bit of sympathy.

You're going to need a decent laptop to run InDesign and a reasonably powerful one for Photoshop and Illustrator. These are industry-standard tools and while there are alternatives, you said right up front you need to use InDesign. I'm not sure why you're "feeling a bit screwed" because nobody lied to you about being able to use an iPad for this.

Even the Photoshop and Illustrator iPad apps don't come close to the power of the desktop versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with @BobLevine 

A decent PC laptop would be far cheaper than a Mac.

The software is exactly the same bar a few shortcuts. 

Your professor says you need InDesign - but you are looking for alternatives - there is no alternatives if your projects are set for InDesign.

There are places that allow you rent laptops -not sure if this an option for you.

Certainly, when I was in college the computers were supplied by the college, no laptops (powerful enough) back then. But I didn't need to do any 'homework' and wouldn't have been able to anyway as I didn't have a home computer. 

My suggestion would be to buy a mid-range laptop PC version which is far cheaper than a Mac. 

It would do you for your assignments and studies. 

Even a 2nd hand one. 

Or if it's really problematic talk to your college/professor and ask them for advice and if there is any help from them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget the cheap PC laptop. Get a refurbished Mac mini or macBook Air since you are already in the Apple ecosystem. This will hold you over until you can start making enough money to upgrade and will run circles around a mid-range PC.

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Refubished mac is also an option - but more expensive than a PC that would be refurbished.

I don't think being in a 'ecosystem' is relevant.

It would stand more to anyone to be familiar on both systems anyway. 

I work on PC and Mac simultaneously everyday. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ChaosHatter:

Have you checked to see if your University has student pricing? Both of my kids took advantage of those programs while in school. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Besides there being no real alternative to a desktop system (as opposed to any kind of mini-laptop or pad) for publishing work, nothing will accelerate your learning and productivity like a fairly large display. Whether Mac or PC, laptop or desktop unit, a 27" 4K monitor is a very cheap investment in being able to have a big, useful window on all the components of doing publication work. You're better off with a lower-cost monitor of that scale than an expensive, "graphics grade" one of smaller size, at least until you're a pro.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines