• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign: Unable to replace image with drag and drop images

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi to everybody, I'm new on this forum. I'm a user of Adobe products from a long time, but now i have a big problem.
When I was on my mac it was possible in indesign to replace an image using drag and drop, automatically the old image was changed with the new image mainteining the dimension and the placement.
Now on my brand nwe worstation Windows this is not plssible. Whe i try to do the same thing InDesign insert a new image without replacing the old.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled InDesign but nothing.
Someone has the same problem? Or can somebody tell me a solution?

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , Import and export , Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

I can confirm that it works on my Windows system. 

Did you reset your preferences and clear your caches?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/troubleshooting-weird-indesign-problems-101-error-new/m-p/11006337

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Last update !! I do not have the answer to this thing but: I have performed the reset of the settings 3 consecutive times with the command at startup CTRL + Shift + Alt and magically it now works !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that it works on my Windows system. 

Did you reset your preferences and clear your caches?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/troubleshooting-weird-indesign-problems-101-erro...

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing... the problem is still there 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you some specifics settings ?? I've tried again to uninstall ID using the cleaner tool and re-install it, and again the problem is still there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are working on a personal computer or a secured company system? There is nothing special about my install or settings, so I'm wondering if some security settings on your system might be interfering. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a personal workstation I'm a freelance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's also working for me on my Windows 10 system with InDesign 2020 or 2021. No issue at all.

If the "old" already placed image is not selected when doing the Place… command, you could load the new image to your cursor and when hovering above the old image with the loaded cursor just press the Alt key and click once.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestions and help. I tried again to uninstall and reinstall the program. Ninente doesn't want to know !! I tried with the simple drag and drop as I did on Mac, it doesn't work, I tried with the Alt key, with the image selected, with the image not selected, I tried all the combinations that come to mind and I checked the settings. Nothing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might sound silly - but is there anything else above the image? Like another layer - and is the image the uppermost item when placing it?

It should work as normal.

If not then you already had advice to reset preferences

You can find a deeper clean in the link

Try resetting your preferences:
The easiest way to reset everything is to delete the InDesign preferences: as soon as InDesign starts to boot hold down Shift, Alt, Ctrl (and Apple/Cmd if working on a Macintosh). A dialog will appear asking to delete the InDesign Preferences, select 'Yes' on this dialog.
Further info and instructions here if needed:
https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

Or you can try the Cleaner Tool

You can always try the creative cloud cleaner tool https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No no layers or objects or whatever, it's a simple wedding album, mostly white background.
I don't think I have many solutions available. Following the suggestion of others who have commented, I downloaded the adobe cleaner, deleted any type of InDesign file (even in hidden folders) and installed the program several times. As I said always the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Last update !! I do not have the answer to this thing but: I have performed the reset of the settings 3 consecutive times with the command at startup CTRL + Shift + Alt and magically it now works !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines