• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Window too large

Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open an InDesign document, the window fills my monitor from corner to corner so it's difficult to grab any edge to resize it, and it covers everything on my desktop so I'm resizing constantly. I seem to remember a feature in earlier versions, something like "remember window size." Has this been eliminated or is there a new preference for this useful feature? I'm running InDesign CC on an iMac with OS 10.15.7 Catalina. TIA.  

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

If it’s so bad that you can’t see the title bar and the three buttons in the top left corner, then try this:

Hold down the Option key as you drag any visible corner toward the center of the window, so that you bring the other three sides of the window inward. (Holding down Option resizes the window from the center.) You may have to do this in multiple passes. As you bring any of the other sides in, you will gain more control over the window size. When you can bring in the top left corner, you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Also, on OSX InDesign has Window>Application Frame. If you turn Application Frame on documents will open inside of the frame—ID will remember the position of the frame:

Screen Shot 11.pngScreen Shot 12.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it’s so bad that you can’t see the title bar and the three buttons in the top left corner, then try this:

Hold down the Option key as you drag any visible corner toward the center of the window, so that you bring the other three sides of the window inward. (Holding down Option resizes the window from the center.) You may have to do this in multiple passes. As you bring any of the other sides in, you will gain more control over the window size. When you can bring in the top left corner, you will once again have access to the three window control buttons.

InDesign shrink off screen window.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I’ll give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, on OSX InDesign has Window>Application Frame. If you turn Application Frame on documents will open inside of the frame—ID will remember the position of the frame:

Screen Shot 11.pngScreen Shot 12.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did the trick, THANK YOU! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2021 Dec 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @1106design , if you don’t want to use the Application Frame, the window bounds can also be set via a script. This sets the window in the upper left corner with the width as 75% of the available screen width, and the height as 90% of the available screen height—you could assign this to a key command:

var hScale = .75
var vScale = .9

var x = 50;
var y = 0;

var sw = $.screens[0].right;
var sh = $.screens[0].bottom;
var w = Math.round ((sw*hScale)-x);
var h = Math.round ((sh*vScale)-y);

app.activeWindow.bounds = [sh-(y+h), x, sh-y, x+w]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2021 Dec 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your generosity, Ron. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HELLO, I have the same issue, copied the script above, but how do I assign a key command for it? It doesnt show up in key command menu. Or am I in the wrong menu?

shortcut.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save the script into your InDesign Scrpts folder and it will show in the Scripts panel—Applications⁩ ▸ ⁨Adobe InDesign 2021⁩ ▸ ⁨Scripts⁩ ▸ ⁨Scripts Panel⁩

Then assign the script a key command in InDesign:

Screen Shot 26.pngScreen Shot 27.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Worked perfect thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines