• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign won't recognize PNG files, can't "Place"

Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2019 Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a document about a month ago, a catalog, and placed PNG image files into image boxes for the layout. I opened the file back up today to do some edits and all the sudden InDesign tells me I have broken links. I investigate further to find that the images are located where they are supposed. I tried to "re-place" the png files into the boxes but InDesign doesn't recognize it and won't allow me to place it.

For reference, I also tried to open in PS but it doesn't recognize it either, so I'm sure it's a file issue.

Has anyone run across this and can you advise?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

I had some support from a chap at adobe.

I'll try and remember what we did.

Go into

> system preferences

> security and privacy

> Full disc access

> unlock the padlock (click and password)

> In the right-hand window scroll down to InDesign and click it.

> I also did photoshop and illustrator

> Clcik out of preferences 

> Document should now accept png files.

This worked for me, please feedback if successful as this is problem for other users!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like those files are corrupt. Without a lot more info, it’s impossible to tell.

What version of InDesign? What operating system and where are those PNG files stored?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are just placed in a folder on my desktop for now. Some images it picks up fine, others not. I'm on InDesign CC 14.0.1 on MacOS.

I just created new images in that same folder, it's immediately doing the same thing with some of those images but some are fine. A lot of these images I get need to be cropped or other adjustments, so I'll make those adjustments in PS and then resave the files, then place them in InDesign. It works fine the first time but when you reopen InDesign it says there is a broken link.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do all of the PNG files have the .png file suffix at the end of their names?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I found a workaround but it's not ideal:

1) Open the .jpeg file

2) Make the adjustments and save as a .png file in folder location

3) Save the file again as a copy .png file in that same folder location

It will then recognize the copy version, but if I do it in any other order it doesn't work........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Timothy,

Sorry to hear about this issue. Is it happening with all the files or some specific PNGs? Would you mind sharing a sample file, so that we can test it at our end?

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be a problem as the Creative Cloud software upgrades. I am trying to pen an older design file with multiple links to package and send a client. It will not let me package stating the "png" files are invalid, but most are PSD files. I have tried replacing all files, and it won't let me place several of them, though they are in the same folder they were originally in and are not corrupt, etc. Super frustrated and on a time crunch. Any resolve for this issue? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will not let me package stating the "png" files are invalid

Can you share one of the problem PNGs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue. Files I have previously created (2/3 weeks ago) that I have today come to edit are now packaging due to unrecognised PNG files (previously no issues at all) and I'm also unable to Export to PDF. Images that were previously visible as high resolution in High quality display appear corrupted, but are. visible at typical quality display. I am using creative cloud and have installed the latest version of indesign, still not resolving. Not happy! I've missed deadlines today and am losing income

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some examples of the errors I'm seeing here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @clarer4061577 , can you select one of the problem links in the Links panel and post a capture of the Link Info with the Path info showing—something like this:

Screen Shot 24.png

Also for the case of the corrupted preview, does it happen if you resave the PNG in Photoshop and turn off InDesign’s GPU Performance preference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the links have errors against them so I can only guess which linked file it is, I'm presuming it is all pngs. Here's an example of a PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here's an example of the file that used to be visible at high quality display and now only visible at typical display

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use photoshop. I'm not a designer. I use indesign to create basic documents that look better than powerpoints. I've used indesign for 10 years, and on the occasions that I have had to use png I've not had this issue before. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you expand the Links panel so we can see the full Path? Just want to check if it could be a permissions problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is as much as I can get it to expand

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry here it is expanded wider

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this is one of the JPEG images that is no longer visible ini high quality display (but was previously)... I have no other files open and the files are still linked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The path looks ok, maybe try resetting your preferences? Could you share a few of the problem files?

Does your CC subscription include Photoshop? If resetting prefs doesn’t work try installing Photoshop and resaving the .PNGs or a Save As to .PSD format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2019 Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why did you choose PNG? If it comes from Photoshop, use PSD instead, if it comes from Illustrator, use AI or PDF instead. I don't see any advantage to use PNG and there are some other reasons I would avoid PNGs in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sometimes you're working on a hella large psb (because it's too big for psd) and you need to bring it into indesign. png's work great at providing a manageable file size that also supports transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There shouldn’t be a problem linking large format .PSBs at least on OSX where you can drag and drop a .PSB and still get a link proxy. Here is an a 1.8GB .psb placed, and the ID file is only 2mb:

Screen Shot 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if the psd file is too large, try this script

change the extension of the attachment text to jsx

---------------------------

###Principle
The main principle is actually very simple: delete a large number of 'metadata' in PSD.
Metadata: historical data of file operations. Generally, more than 90% of the capacity of a PDS is occupied by metadata.
can clean the metadata of smart objects and nested smart objects in smart objects. This script can clean the metadata of all smart objects and their descendants with one click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a simple, basic, quick document to give a colleague some instructions via Teams. I quickly screenshot some pages from a larger file and placed them into the indesign doc. The screenshots saved as PNG. In the 10 years I have used indesign I've never had an issue with creating these "quick and simple" docs (when the client needs instructions quickly but has minimal time/ budget) it's only today that I have encountered these issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had exactly the same issue. Multiple InDesign files I am now opening are not accepting png files which I have used without issue before. I spent an hour with an Adobe support rep yesterday giving her access to my laptop. She kept saying the file was corrupt, but this is every file I open. The only way I've got around this is saving every file as a jpeg or tif and re-importing into the indesign file. Great fun and use of time on an 88 page overview.

What I do know is that this has all happened since upgraded my system software to Mac OS Monterey 12.3.1 a week or so ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines