• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to print multiple InDesign pages on one sheet?

Participant ,
Feb 18, 2011 Feb 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Say I have a 10 page InDesign document. Each page is fairly small. When I go to print out those proofs, can I print all 10 pages on one sheet of paper? Or do I have to copy each layout separately onto a new document to group them? Just to save paper really.

ID CS3

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Feb 18, 2011 Feb 18, 2011

File > Print

Setup Tab, thumbnails...come on Twitch, give us something tough here...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Bevi+Chagnon+%7C+PubCom  wrote

Here's a method that might work, but it will require a PostScript driver for your printer. (Maybe non-PS drivers/printers will allow this, too.)

From InDesign:

1. Select File/Print.  Select a PostScript printer and PS driver. You can also select Acrobat PDF Printer, too, and this will create a PDF with the multiple items per page, too.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't actually own a printer (I've always had a paperless office) and there's something peculiar to MacOS that won't let you use File > Print to create a PDF.

I looked into this about a month ago (when I last tried to do something like this) but can't remember now exactly what the technical reason was. The upshot was that Mac users on this forum and others were suggested saving a PDF and then using Apple's own Preview app to print N-up, but my experience is that, at least for N-up imposition, that app is seriously lacking/buggy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm ambidextrous, use both Macs and Windows systems.

And yes, Windows does give more printing options.

But IIRC, it is possible to print to the virual Adobe Acrobat Printer on a Mac. Just can't remember how right now, but I'll be on my Mac tomorrow and will check back then.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the detailed suggestions https://forums.adobe.com/people/Bevi+Chagnon+%7C+PubCom

When I get to the print dialog screen and select the Setup tab all the options are greyed out. Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 1.26.36 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi puffmoike ,

you will need a special PPD file to do what you want. And that installed in a special place.

"Device Independent" is the wrong option.

Download a zip file from my Dropbox folder.

Unpack the zip and move the PPD file to your InDesign's application folder.

There you'll find a folder named Presets. Do a new folder named exactly PPDs inside of Presets and move the PPD file in. It should be available  immediately as "Adobe PDF 9.0" under PPD: in the Print dialog.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jf2nwiei2eewndc/ADPDF9.PPD.zip?dl=0

ADPDF9.PPD.zip

ADPDF9.PPD

Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laubender  wrote

you will need a special PPD file to do what you want. And that installed in a special place.

"Device Independent" is the wrong option.

Download a zip file from my Dropbox folder.

Hi Uwe,

I downloaded your file, placed in in the appropriate folder and can see result in the print dialog window.

I'm not exactly sure what this was intended to solve, but the Page Setup… button is still disabled.

Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 1.26.50 pm.png

Thanks for going above and beyond to try and help me, but feel free to stop. Whilst it would be nice to be able to do this, there are only a couple of times a year that wish I had the functionality, and your other suggestion works well enough for my infrequent needs.

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

there is no need for "Page Setup…" and "Printer…" options.

Just go ahead and define a page size in the Setup tab.

Here you define the end format of your business card template. Maybe A4 or Letter. Or also a custom format.

Make sure that you include all image data, not only downsampled images. Save that setup and give it a name.

The next step would be to use InDesign's Print Booklet feature where you use this Print Preset.

With: Printer: PostScript File

you'll create a PostScript file you have to convert to PDF via Adobe Distiller.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setup is disabled for PostScript File.Screen Shot 2019-05-16 at 12.56.03 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Choose a PPD.

Screen Shot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post is a bit old, but this might help someone else trying to figure this out later, so here ya' go:

One way I've been able to print multiple InDesign pages on one sheet of paper is to export the InDesign file as a .PDF, open the file in Adobe Acrobat/Reader, and use that print dialog box instead of InDesign's. It's pretty easy and doesn't involve creating more than one new document (the .PDF) or copy/pasting until you cry.

In the print dialog box, under 'Page Size & Handling' go to 'Pages per Sheet', 'Custom'. Then, choose how many pages you'd like across and how many you'd like up/down. Then print. If your pages in InDesign are two big to stack without scaling them, you might want to reduce the document size in InDesign and export again.

I haven't found a *perfect* solution for this, but this works pretty well if your pages are sized correctly for stacking in InDesign. Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wrote a cross platform JavaScript version of the AppleScript I posted earlier in this thread (from 2016). If you want to give it a try download it here:

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/588c3640-0b0d-47fc-68f2-f56e5d4dd188

There are two versions, one scales the thumbnails to your deafult page the other lets you set page dimensions:

Screen Shot 40.pngScreen Shot 41.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines