• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is the qr code creation GDPR compliant? DE: Ist die QR-Code-Erstellung DSGVO-konform?

Participant ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If I create a QR code with Indesign, is it GDPR-compliant? Or is any data uploaded when it is created? Does the process really only take place locally?

Thanks

Joerg

Hallo, 

wenn ich einen QR-Code mit Indesign erstelle, ist dieser dann DSGO-Konform? Oder werden bei der Erstellung irgendwelche Daten hochgeladen? Findet der Prozess wirklich nur lokal statt?

Danke und Grüße

Joerg

TOPICS
Performance , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have successfully generated InDesign QR codes with my local network disconnected. While that may not be an absolute answer, everything I know about ID's plugin feature is that it is entirely local and does not transmit or store the data outside the generated document.

I am not even sure it retains anything like the input data, or if, when it needs to read back the info (for edits, or when you hover over a generated code) actually 'reads back' the code itself.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.0 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GDPR is for "protection of personal data" - if you don't put anyone's name or address in the QR code - there is no violation.

But if you print it or upload it online - make it public - and there is someone's personal information...

And as per @James Gifford—NitroPress reply - codes are generated locally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point, but there's a huge overlap of concept between "QR code" in general and "vCard code" as the common use.. And it is a huge problem when online services or apps are used, with data very likely being scraped and stored, not always for benign reasons. ID's code generator is a nearly unique asset, in that respect, which is why putting up with its minor quirks (v2.1 encoding for the default vCard model, , limited input fields for most data models), is worth working around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Joerg Klaus, I agree with the answers here and, to add a little bit more: the algorithm to generate a qr-code is not computationally intensive so there is no technical reason for Adobe to send the encoded information to their servers (as they do with firefly). I realise this doesn't give you 100% confidence but it is indicative.

If you need to manage the process 100% openly (which I doubt you do) you could generate the QR codes with a script. For example, I ported some code that generates a QR code in Illustrator. It is open source so you can peruse the code and confirm that it doesn't send anything over the network. 
- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And thanks for the script. I'll take a close look at it.

Joerg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @m1b , @James Gifford—NitroPress , @Robert at ID-Tasker ,

Thanks to everyone for the answers.

All I care about is creating the codes. And yes, there is personal data in there.
But only the person for whom the data is intended can see it.

The data is not shown publicly anywhere.

The person receives a letter and the QR code can be seen in the letter.
That's why I wanted to know if the data is sent to Adobe.
From what I read, the data is not sent to Adobe.

Joerg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it was amusing to consider how data might be secured in a printed code, short of using encrypted data.

But there's more useful details here for anyone who wants to use the ID generator to its limits:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting to think about. I'm sure there are some applications for using encrypted data in a printed QR code, only readable by people with the key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Encoding things like product cost, shipping cost, markup rates etc. so that only someone with a decrypting scanner could read them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines