Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue with Stroke Width Change After Outlining Text in InDesign

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'm facing an issue with the stroke width of text in InDesign. When I add a 0.1pt stroke to the text within a text frame, the stroke width changes to 0.05pt after outlining the text.

I've searched through various resources, including Adobe's official documentation and forums, but haven't found a satisfactory solution yet.

Could anyone please provide insights or workarounds for this issue? Is this a known bug, or am I missing something?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best regards,

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

First of all - I wouldn't outline text in InDesign to start with - there are needs to do it - but typically  you can do this in a PDF after exporting - using Acrobats preflight there's an option to convert text to outline there - which is far superior to InDesigns approach. 

And secondly - I can't replciate this - I tried with font sizes from 0.1pt to 10pt to 40 pt
And set the stroke to .1pt - and it stays .1pt when converting to outline.

Can you let us know:
Version of InDesgin
Version of your

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 11, 2024 Apr 11, 2024

I need to outline text but I don't know the risks.
Is there any other way I can use to create outlines in the PDF I export?

By @PTLPP035C36

If you really need "outlined" PDF for printing - you have two options:

1) as already mentioned - use Acrobat,

2) change your printing place...

The risks converting to outlines in InDesign - some formatting can get lost and you'll have to double-check each "letter" if it has been outlined correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all - I wouldn't outline text in InDesign to start with - there are needs to do it - but typically  you can do this in a PDF after exporting - using Acrobats preflight there's an option to convert text to outline there - which is far superior to InDesigns approach. 

And secondly - I can't replciate this - I tried with font sizes from 0.1pt to 10pt to 40 pt
And set the stroke to .1pt - and it stays .1pt when converting to outline.

Can you let us know:
Version of InDesgin
Version of your OS

What font size you're starting at and the exact stroke width on the character

And what font you're using. 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2024 Apr 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Indesign version I am using is 18.5.2, and the computer version is MacOS 10.15.7
Look at my screenshot. When I select this stroke function, the situation I mentioned will appear.

截屏2024-04-11 下午4.05.37.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this and the stroke width stays the same for me no matter which one I select

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at my video, I don’t know what’s causing it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't replicate the issue - I see it happening for you but I don't know why.

Try resetting your preferences:

Windows: Start InDesign, and then press Shift+Ctrl+Alt. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.
macOS: While pressing Shift+Option+Command+Control, start InDesign. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.
A dialog will appear asking to delete the InDesign Preferences, select 'Yes' on this dialog.
Further info and instructions here if needed:
https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it, but it didn't work. I also tried it on another computer and the same problem happened, so I don't know what to do.
Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or let me put it another way, my purpose is to create outlines for the content in the PDF I exported, but what method should I use to export the PDF I want while keeping the strokes unchanged?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never outline text in InDesign. Why should anyone do so?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never outline text in InDesign. Why should anyone do so?

By @Willi Adelberger

To create a graphic object?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @PTLPP035C36

If you really need "outlined" PDF for printing - you have two options:

1) as already mentioned - use Acrobat,

2) change your printing place...

The risks converting to outlines in InDesign - some formatting can get lost and you'll have to double-check each "letter" if it has been outlined correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2024 Apr 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help, I will try other methods to achieve the effect I need

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the purpose you need outlines for?

You can outline text AFTER PDF export in Adobe Acrobat Pro, there it is save, but not in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, my job requires me to do this step, I'm also aware that it can be done in Acrobat Pro, but I don't want to have to deal with this through two software, I'm trying to use the "Transparency Flattening Preset" to achieve what I need function, but this function also has different problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but the only way to outline text without problems and loss of text, paragraph lines, cross references, paragraph frames and much more, is to do it in Acrobat Pro. It does not work anymore with the transparency flattening in newer versions without errors. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2024 Apr 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understand, I will use Acrobat Pro to perform this operation in the future. Of course, I hope Indesign can solve this problem, because Indesign already includes this function, and I hope Indesign can do better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I said to you on the very first reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aside from your current issue with stroke weight changing you should be aware of a bug in InDesign when applying a stroke to compound shapes. A compound shape is any object that uses more than one path to define its fill, where any overlap becomes transparent. A lowercase i is a compound shape because the two paths of the shape have only one fill. A lowercase o is a compound shape because where the paths overlap the result is transparent.

If you set Align Stroke to outside or inside the path InDesign will put the stoke on the inner parts of a compound shape on the wrong side of the path. In the example below, “Text” is text and the stroke on the lowercase e is correct. “Paths” has been converted to paths and the stroke on the P and a are wrong.

Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 7.52.19 PM.png

This bug has existed for years. You can vote on it here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reminder I could avoid this mistake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My hunch is that your default graphic frame stroke preferences are .5, not 1. So when you convert text to graphic it's taking that preference. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure where this preference is that you're talking about, but whether it's 0.1 or 1 or 10 it shrinks it by half after creating the outline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2024 Apr 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not sure where this preference is that you're talking about, but whether it's 0.1 or 1 or 10 it shrinks it by half after creating the outline.

By @PTLPP035C36

What is before and after Stroke Alignment? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines