Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

kerning in text block - The spacing is awful

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am working on a book in Indesign. Normally my spacing between characters is fine.

But in this dokument i looks so bad - I have tried all kinds of settings - with out any luck.

Please look at att. file to see my settings and the text. What is wrong?? Skærmbillede 2022-09-27 kl. 12.38.12.png

Regards Lene

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's because the column width is narrow compared to the size of the text. Try adjusting the Justification setings in your Paragraph Style definition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great thought - but even with a much smaller font it looks so bad. See the att. ?? arghhhh

Skærmbillede 2022-09-27 kl. 14.14.41.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the simple collision of narrow columns, many long words and full justification. The only fix is to find the optimal font size (perhaps by half-point steps) and then tweak the justification settings, as @rob day notes.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Settings are very different according the language. Try these settings, I use them for short lines, in French.

Capture d’écran 2022-09-27 à 17.09.36.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Romance languages tend to have much shorter word lengths than the Germanic languages, and the problem multiplies with professional publications. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @lenen30755035 , Look at your Justification settings—they affect letter and word spacing:

Default:

Screen Shot 1.png

Adjusted:

Screen Shot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all - I will try all your suggestions. I also think that Indesign has a problems with the hyhenations of the extremely long words in the text.  It also hyphenat some words wrong (a thing I have never tried before?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ID is like most word apps in that it has a dictionary and then rules for hyphenation. Be sure you have the right language set for your text elements, of course. But with some of those jaw-breakers outside the basic vocabulary, ID can only use rules to hyphenate, and that's always an imperfect approach. You may need to add some common words to the dictionary (I think that can be done...) or use discretionary hyphens in the words that are breaking poorly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using hyphenation make sure the paragraphs use the correct language. InDesign’s hyphenation is dictionary based. If text is tagged with the wrong language InDesign won’t find the words in its library and it will revert to a much less reliably algorithm. The algorithm is also language aware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. I am using the correct language - have check so many times, because that would have made so much sense. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @lenen30755035 , Just to clarify, how are you setting the language? Language is a character level property—there can be multiple languages set in a range of text—so you have to select all of the text then set the Language in the Character or Control panel dropdown

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you can see the affect of the selected text’s Language on hyphenation and dynamic spelling—with English Dynamic Spelling flags most of the words in this Norwegian text

Screen Shot 4.png

Changing the selected text’s language to Norwegian removes the spelling flags and changes the hyphenation:

Screen Shot 5.png

Keep in mind that language is a character property—there can be a mix of languages in a text range for cases where you might be setting a translation. Here the first paragraph is set to English:

Screen Shot 6.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a final suggestion, you might make your columns wider. I'm not sure if the large inner margin is for functional purposes or just layout design... another cm or two on each column, given the long word lengths, would probably go a long ways in easing this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have testet larger columns and smaller text. It only looks good when i make the two columns almost the size of the book. Or only have one column (the same size as the two). I normally in many other books have had columns around this size, with out any problems. I have also change the font, and that did help a little.

I talked to Adobe support who thinks I need on all 480 pages to replace my text in a new textbox without any styles. I did a test and it is not helping?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know your needs and preferences. The first examples seem to show a very large inside margin, which is unusual; Rob's examples seem more normally proportioned to my eye. Maybe it's all just a function of the precise text and content in this project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried and true:

Hyphenation:

9,3,4,1, off, off, off

Justification:

80/100/120

-5/0/5

95/100/105

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeahbut...

JamesGiffordNitroPress_0-1664379334264.png

😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all - a combination of all your good suggestions did the trick! The book is now done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines