• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Looking for Style Guide building advice...

Advocate ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, happy Monday.

For those of you who create style guides for projects or clients...

I have done it a bit, but it's typically not as "flowing" as I would like, since I work in the document that's eventually the style guide. I like to paste lots of reference stuff in place. Illustrator has been ok-ish.

I revisited XD today, thinking it might have gained some usefulness for me... it hasn't.

A few of the things I'd like to be able to do are:

• Create type style samples without having to do everything manually
  • Create named color swatches
  • Paste reference images
  • Drag/drop native bitmap and vector files

Anyone using a tool that allows this stuff, and in a way that doesn't require constant babysitting?

thanks!

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Advocate , Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Thanks guys. I kind of figured.
Interestingly, I didn't find any default templates for type - James, as you mention, I guess scripting is the way to do it. Someone posted some scripts before, so I guess I'll revisit that.

Anyone happen to know if any of the Adobe apps have a free typography / full style template?

Steve - I generally like libraries, but Adobe needs to sort out naming; we've found a few anomalies that prevent the libraries from keeping names of certain file types that are dragged in,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Anyone happen to know if any of the Adobe apps have a free typography / full style template?

This seems very much like something you would want to create for yourself, to suit your needs and those of your clients. Most templates are... nothing I'd recommend. Many are not as well constructed as they should be, or use convoluted design methods that are not just difficult to adjust but "blow up" in odd ways when tinkered with.

Create one perfect style page according to your tastes and needs, pa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ID is probably the right tool for this, much more so than either Illustrator or XD. (I have yet to find any use for the latter, myself.)

Other than making a template from which to build each iteration, there's not a lot of automation to be had for this, other than maybe a script or two to create type samples. But all of the components are fairly easy to do within ID, and in a nice bit of circularity, InDesign styles would make managing each project easier.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd agree with @James Gifford—NitroPress. InDesign is the way to go. I'd also suggest that things like swatch samples, type samples, and others can easily be stored in CC libraries and can be dragged into your Style Guide as needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys. I kind of figured.
Interestingly, I didn't find any default templates for type - James, as you mention, I guess scripting is the way to do it. Someone posted some scripts before, so I guess I'll revisit that.

Steve - I generally like libraries, but Adobe needs to sort out naming; we've found a few anomalies that prevent the libraries from keeping names of certain file types that are dragged in, but I guess if I'm only using something locally that's ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This seems very much like something you would want to create for yourself, to suit your needs and those of your clients. Most templates are... nothing I'd recommend. Many are not as well constructed as they should be, or use convoluted design methods that are not just difficult to adjust but "blow up" in odd ways when tinkered with.

Create one perfect style page according to your tastes and needs, paying attention to very clean style definitions and layout. Then strip it down to "basic blank" and file it for reuse.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines