Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Maintaining Tabs and Nonbreaking Spaces When Exporting

Participant ,
Dec 30, 2016 Dec 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When I export to epub, all my tabs and blank spaces are deleted and I need to go into an epub editor to reinsert them. I was wondering if there's a way to keep the tabs and nonbreaking spaces when exporting from InDesign to epub.

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Hi,

tabs and blank spaces arent export to reflowable ePUB, 2 or 3.

To keep blank spaces (between paragraph, I suppose) the correct is apply together the paragraph caracter the Nonbreaking space (Menu Type > Insert White Space > Nonbreaking space).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Paragraph (and Character) Styles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version EPUB? Fixed layout or reflowable? What version of InDesign? What EPUB Reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using paragraph and character styles. EPUB 2.0.1. Reflowable. InDesign 2017. I read them in IBooks and Kindle Preveiwer, but edit them in Calibre and Dreamweaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try EPUB 3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

tabs and blank spaces arent export to reflowable ePUB, 2 or 3.

To keep blank spaces (between paragraph, I suppose) the correct is apply together the paragraph caracter the Nonbreaking space (Menu Type > Insert White Space > Nonbreaking space).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you!

The space between paragraphs export fine, I was just wondering if there was a way to maintain tabs and blank spaces (which you answered). Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem exporting a programming text to EPUB. The trouble is that to maintain the programming style it has to have lots of horizontal white spaces (indentation). There's no problem when I convert to fixed layout, but it doesn't work with reflowable layout at all as all programs indentations are destroyed. Does anyone know what sort of format could I use so as to maintain indentations and vertical spaces in programming code? I'm using ID CC 2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must use Paragraph (and Character) styles and include indents and line spaces in these.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2018 Apr 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find the solution? I used tab in paragraph style and didn't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2018 Apr 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don‘t use tabs, use the spacing facility that comes with Paragraph Styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the spacing facility? I don't know what you mean. Can you please clarify?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Derek Cross wrote: @BobLevine 

Don‘t use tabs, use the spacing facility that comes with Paragraph Styles.

How does this work with inline spacing exactly!? There doesn't seem to be an option for this in InDesign. Paragraph styles work fine for line spacing but there's no "facility" to replace the "facility" of tabs. 

When exporting files to EPUB, there's simply no alternative. Tables are horrendous in ePub. What's the solution for creating a list of abbreviations for example that needs to have same inline spacing down the list other than using tabs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rschletty,

I think, Derek means paragraph properties

First Line Indent

Left Indent

In effect do not use white space characters of any kind for indenting a line in the code.

That would include blanks or tabs.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Uwe. My point is that I use vertical spacing in paragraph styles. But there is no horizontal "spacing" per se – except what you mentioned: First Line Indent and Indent. 

My challenge was to export to reflowable EPUB a table of contents my client had set up with tab stops. Obviously tab stops were ignored in exporting to EPUB. 

I tried a table and the results were not so good. I ended up simplifying the TOC by making it a centered text block.

The reflowable EPUB is finalized. 

Side note (for another thread): I had to use Calibre to tweak CSS for 15 pictures that had an Object Style applied to them – in order to make the photos on the page appear full height in Kindle and Apple Books readers. It's too bad that InDesign does not have a built-in facility for editing CSS attributes under Object Styles, Paragraph Styles and Character Styles. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines