Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing font error not going away after installing required font

Enthusiast ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

I have an issue I do not fully understand why it is still there after I've theoretically fixed the issue.

I've received a bunch of .svg files to insert in the document I'm currently working on. 

Those files require a font that was not used in said file. 

I installed said font and then imported the first SVG.

Preflight came out with a "Missing font error", which should just not happen. In Finder I can see the file properly, if I open it in another app it shows well. Why does it not work in InDesign?

I am attaching a screenshot of the error, with the portion of the file which shows the text in red not being bold as it should and the original SVG file. 

I would really appreciate a helping hand on this. 

Thank you 

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Hi Inélsòre,

here some necessary and extra steps for converting your SVG files from the first batch to AI files with CMYK colors. I mean the ones where the texts are not converted to outlines:

[1] Install the needed fonts in your system

[2] Open the SVG file with Adobe Illustrator 2021

Note: There should be no warning of missing fonts at this point.

[3] Change the color mode of the open artwork from RGB to CMYK.

Theoretically, at that point you could save the file as AI file and place it in yo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To answer some questions:

[A] "… Not sure what you mean by "editable text" …"

That's in the first version of your SVGs. So, if you later want to do some edits you should stay with editable text.

Edits could also be changes in tracking, point size. You better do that with "live" text.

[D] "Anyway, what I actually see are just shapes"

Of course, because you opened the second version of your SVGs. In that live text is already converted to outlines.

[E] I described the same selection behavior. If you select "MAJOR" and all other filled objects that share the same fills, three already "outlined words" ( their shapes ) are not selected. Why? The fill color is different. Already if you inspect the RGB values of the SVGs.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Inélsòre,

just did a bug report at InDesign UserVoice regarding the principal font issue one has when a placed SVG needs a font that is not provided by the system, by a Document fonts folder or InDesign's application Fonts folder:

[INDD 2020 and 2021] Missing font in placed SVG is not detected by Preflight or Type > Find Fonts…

Uwe Laubender, Aug 9, 2021

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/43965738--indd-2020-and...

To check if a font is missing you could do one thing:

Export your InDesign document to IDML and open the IDML as document.

Then Preflight and Type > Find Fonts… will show the missing font of a placed SVG.

When on Windows 10:

The only way to provide the missing font is to install the font for all users. You need admin rights to do this.

It does not help to copy the font file to a Document fonts folder or to the InDesign Application Fonts folder. It does not help to install the font for the active user ( no admin rights needed for that ) .

Please vote at my bug report so that the developers will look into the issue soon.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also did another bug report about the Document fonts folder with fonts that are missing in a placed SVG graphic. The thing is:

[1] InDesign will not use a font file stored in the Document fonts folder to supply the font when it is missing in a placed SVG graphic. Even more important:

[2] If a needed font file for a placed SVG graphic is already in the Document fonts folder it would block the only solution: the font file must be installed for all users in the system (at least that is the case on Windows 10) .

[3] So you have to move that particular font file out of the Document fonts folder AND you have to restart InDesign so that the text is rendered successfully in the placed SVG graphic when the font is installed for all users!

[INDD 2020 and 2021] Document fonts folder does not work with fonts for placed SVGs
Uwe Laubender, Aug 9, 2021
https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/43967364--indd-2020-and...

I consider this an extra bug even if the two bugs are of course related.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines