• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing Fonts

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2007 Jun 15, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are fonts installed on my system, which are available in Word, CorelDraw, and other applications, but they do NOT show up, at all, in the fonts list of ANY CS2 application ... InDesign, Photoshop or Illustrator. This situation might be true of OTHER fonts, but the only ones I'm conscious of are the basic four variations of Arial Narrow, and Arial Black. (Arial Black Oblique is ALSO installed, and it IS available.)

These EXACT SAME fonts WERE available in Adobe applications, as long as I was using XP. Now that I've switched to Vista, they've ceased to function.

I've tried reinstalling these fonts and rebooting. What else can I do?

Thanks!

bilglas

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 167 Replies 167
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2008 Sep 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked the version of the fonts in Windows\fonts directory, because they said it would change the version.

I did delete the AdobeFnt##.lst files after that, but that didn't fix the problem.

I did try the hot fix on 2 machines.
- one with Adobe CS3 and one without Adobe

The font versions were not changed in both computers tested, therefore it didn't work.

Eitherway it's all working now as posted previously

Have you tried the hot fix with Office 2003?
- Did it change the font version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2008 Sep 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I checked the version of the fonts in Windows\fonts directory, because they said it would change the version.

As I read the hot fix instructions, they don't say that the version will be changed (they just say "Not applicable"). They do say that the font properties will have changed, but you need MS's font properties extension to check that.

No, I haven't tried it with Office 2003. Frankly, I never use Arial Narrow, so I haven't even bothered to see if this is an issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2008 Nov 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still having problems with Arial Narrow and it is occuring on different setups.
One is WinXP SP3, Office 2003, InDes CS3
other is Vista, Office 2007, InDes CS3
Both systems do not show the bold, italic etc for Arial Narrow. I have tried the MS Hotfix on the Vista/2007 set up, no good. I have tried version 2.30 Arial fonts on XP setup, no good. I have delete Adobefnt.lst files, rebooted systems still no narrow bold etc on any of these.
I don't know what else to try and this is becoming a big problem now as a large range of jobs use Arial Narrow Bold/Italic.
Am I missing/not doing something wrong or are some systems more problematic than others?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you put a copy of the 2.30 fonts in the seperate directories.

Please see my existing post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the fonts showing up in any apps? Are you sure they're installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Windows XP SP3 (we just had SP3 installed on our machine a couple of weeks ago). We have Microsoft office 2003 (3) and I have the Adobe Master Collection CS3. Today I went to open our newsletter masthead which has the type in Arial Narrow and I discovered that Photoshop no longer 'sees' the Arial Narrow font other than as Arial described in the messages above. InDesign works fine as well as Word. I downloaded the hotfix suggested but when we went to install it we received a message that this machine or programs did not need this hotfix. Also did a reinstall of the fonts from the site mentioned in one of the replies above and cleaned the cache of the AdobeFnt#.lst, but still no Arial Narrow in Photoshop. There were no problems before the upgrade a few weeks ago and have since used that font in InDesign with no trouble at all.

Any ideas of what to do next. Arial Narrow is one of the fonts that we use corporately so changing it isn't really an option.

thanks
MP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2008 Nov 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

duckmiester - Read this entire thread and several others, it seems you are the only one having the same exact problems I am.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could send me the fonts you have.

outcastmv - gmail.com

Thank you!

CH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2008 Nov 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All Arial Narrow now working for me now that I followed duckmiester's previous instructions as below.

Also copied the fonts to
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS3\Fonts
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts

Restarted Adobe InDesign and this fixed the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2008 Nov 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I lost Arial Black (not sure what others) after upgrading from Photoshop CS2 to CS3.

I have Windows XP and do not have Microsoft Word, only Frontpage.

I tried to apply the hotfix but it stated that I did not have any software that the hotfix would apply to.

I deleted .lst files and copied my Arial fonts to the Photoshop fonts folder (although no other fonts were located there).

Still having the issue - any thoughts? In desperate need of my Arial Black.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 18, 2008 Nov 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you claiming that Arial Black was somehow removed from your system by upgrading Photoshop or that you simply cannot see that font in Photoshop?

Arial Black is not a font provided by Adobe nor does any Adobe software explicitly manipulate that font.

Did you move the Arial Black font from the \WINDOWS\FONTS directory to a private directory at some point?

- Dov
- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone used the CS4 upgrades yet to see if Adobe has addressed this issue that they have so far been silent on. I am now running 2 versions of Indesign (CS2 & CS3) on my computer, so I can use the Arial Narrow font set, which gets confusing when looking for pallets etc. I would sure like to get back to just one InDesign that I can use on both my old files and my new ones. I was hoping CS4 might be the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As pointed out several times, this is a Microsoft issue. Download and
install the hotfix.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I have replied several times, I am running windows XP I am using MS Office 2003 not 2007 so the microsoft change would not affect my fonts, Arial Narrow is available to me in MSWord 2003 as a font rather than a variation of the Arial font, I can use the Arial Narrow font versions normally in InDesign CS2 but cannot in InDesign CS3. All logic says that this is indeed an Adobe caused problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> All logic says that this is indeed an Adobe caused problem

Why would Microsoft fix an Adobe-caused problem?

--
Kenneth Benson
Pegasus Type, Inc.
www.pegtype.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe Office 2003 uses the newer fonts as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want to beat a dead horse but no one has explained to me why a change in Microsoft Office would affect what fonts I can use in InDesign CS3 but not in InDesign CS2.

I am very reluctant to apply a fix, that appears to target MS Office 2007 (from what the postings here have said) when I do not have Office 2007 on my computer, for fear that something would happen to cause InDesign CS2 to no longer work correctly either. This would cause me to have to spend countless hours, days or more re designing many documents with lots of small, Arial narrow, type that I now only have to make minor changes for reprint on.

I know I am being considered an idiot for not understanding why a change in how InDesign behaves between CS2 and CS3 is caused by Microsoft and why Microsoft's problem font situation would affect only one of two versions both running on the same computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a change in Office...it's a change in the fonts. And once
again, the fact that Microsoft is the one that issued a fix should tell
you that Adobe is innocent here.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The hotfix replaces the font with one with proper names. I don't think
you have too much to worry about.

I don't really know why MS Office sees your Arial Narrow differently
from the way ID CS3 sees it (or, for that matter, why CS3 sees it
differently from CS2), except to say that Indesign reads a different
font name. Fonts have many different naming systems: font name, family
name, FOND, menu name, full name, Postscript name (for which there are 5
different platform subnames: Unicode, Macintosh, ISO, Microsoft,
Custom), and quite a few more. It seems to me that ID CS3 is reading a
different name (or part of a name) than CS2 was. And they're both
reading something different from what Word reads.

Adobe could probably modify Indesign so that it reads the font names
some other way in order to accommodate your broken Arial Narrow. But
they didn't. And now that Microsoft has fixed it, you can be really,
really sure Adobe is going to leave it alone.

--
Kenneth Benson
Pegasus Type, Inc.
www.pegtype.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, I am actually not trying to be difficult, but I would really appreciate it if you, or someone, could explain why I have 2 different versions of InDesign, CS2 and CS3, running on the same computer. CS2 sees the Arial Narrow font as family, with normal, ital, bold & bold ital and CS3 sees Arial Narrow as a variation on the Arial family, with normal, ital, bold, bold ital, & narrow. Same computer, same fonts, different versions of the same Adobe product, different results.

If I could understand the relationship then perhaps I would not be so concerned about loosing my ability to use the Arial Narrow font family all together on my existing documents. I have already been substituting another font on the new projects I create in CS3, but have many previous projects CS2 and earlier which use Arial Narrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> different versions of the same Adobe product,
> different results.

Yes. Different versions, different results. If you start comparing CS2
to CS3, you'll find many more differences... :^)

Bottom line, the fix is to replace the font. If you're really worried
about somehow losing the font, copy it to someplace safe before you
replace it.

--
Kenneth Benson
Pegasus Type, Inc.
www.pegtype.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I would really appreciate it if you, or someone, could explain why I have 2 different versions of InDesign, CS2 and CS3, running on the same computer

How can we explain why you choose to have two different versions of ID on your PC?

>If I could understand the relationship ...

Then reread Kenneth's post 116, which explains the complexity of font naming and how one version of ID could have read different names to another. That does not mean the change is a bug or that it has to be reversed. It just means that an error in MS's fonts (one that MS accepts) that was perhaps overloooked in CS2 is not now overlooked.

>I am very reluctant to apply a fix, that appears to target MS Office 2007 (from what the postings here have said) when I do not have Office 2007 on my computer

As has been said, Office 2007 is not the only possible way you could have got the updated fonts on your PC.

At the end of the day, if you don't want to fix the problem, then that's fine. But I don't see why you're so dead set against following the advice being given you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cathleen,

Thomas Phinney has a good explanation of wait the problem is up the thread at post 46, and Dov Isaacs issued a clarification that you need to delete the Adobefntxx.lst files after running the hot fix (or presumably installing the old versions manually)before the fix will work.

I think you said you ran the fix, and it didn't work. Did you delete the Adobefnt.lst files afterward?

At this point, what version of the Arial Narrow files do you have? Can you post the version numbers and the dates? That would clear up a few nagging questions.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dominic,
Thank you so much for the kind and understanding reply.
To clarify why I have the 2 versions of InDesign on my computer, when I first upgraded to CS3 I found that the Arial Narrow fonts were not available using ID CS3. After trying a couple of the earlier supposed fixes posted here to no avail I decided to keep the CS2 version on the computer so I could modify my previous projects when necessary.

As to my concern about what would happen if the fix upset my only access to these projects I think I have adequately explained myself.

Kenneth,
I sincerely thank you for explaining how the difference between the CS2 & 3 can exist. I appologize for my last post since it happened in the lag time between postings. I think I will take a chance and attempt the Hot Fix now. Do you happen to have the appropriate link for this (I am on Windows XP SP3). If not I will try to find it in the thread. Once again thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Do you happen to have the
> appropriate link for this

I'd be willing to bet it's in this thread somewhere...

--
Kenneth Benson
Pegasus Type, Inc.
www.pegtype.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>As to my concern about what would happen if the fix upset my only access to these projects I think I have adequately explained myself.

Well, I didn't follow it. You seeemed to be saying that you don't trust a hot fix by Microsoft for an MS problem but that you would trust a fix by Adobe for an MS problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines