• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

mulitpage importer and Indesign 2020

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so fortunite to have my Indesign update to the 2020 version today.

It's nice to know that this new version can't see the multipage importer script.

Does anyone know why this version of Indesign can't see this script?

Is it possible need newer version of the multipage importer script?

Is there a newer version of the multipage importer script?

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Import and export , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Robert at ID-Tasker 

I understant your good intentions to help me and thanking you for that, but you keep insisting on offering something don't need. I'm an InDesign and DTP instructor and know exactly what I need and why I need it and it's to place InDesign pages into a new InDesign document. I found a good script for doing that and I only wanted to write to the creator that it could get even better. 🙂 Thank you again for trying to help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Shlomit Heymann

I just would like to understand your reasoning... 

It's not efficient to put whole INDD file into another INDD file - just to change margins...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 25, 2024 Feb 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Robert at ID-Tasker 

I already explain it but will again:

I have a huge biblical text book with 1826 pages divided to 6 documents. From time to time there are corrections so I want it to get updated automatically in my smaller document. This way I can be sure not to miss any correction. It's an ongoing job since 2012. Using PDF is not efficient at all because I will need to recreate it again and again and all I want is to update and export to a new PDF. 

I really don't understand why you keep showing that your way is better becuase for this specific job it's not. This is a rare case that it's not worth time and money to reflow the text to a new document and the safest way.

I have 40 years of experience, I know what I'm doing and why and it looks to me like you keep ignoring it. It's like you don't trust that I know what I'm sasking. 

Thank you

Shlomit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Shlomit Heymann 

I'm just trying to understand your logic / reasoning - so I can learn something new.

I have a huge biblical text book with 1826 pages divided to 6 documents. From time to time there are corrections so I want it to get updated automatically in my smaller document. This way I can be sure not to miss any correction. It's an ongoing job since 2012. Using PDF is not efficient at all because I will need to recreate it again and again and all I want is to update and export to a new PDF.

So you have MAIN INDD "document" - technically it's a "book" but let's call it as a single entity - but you need to have PDF with smaller margins, right?

I see two scenarios:

A)

You make corrections into your MAIN INDD document and generate new MAIN PDF - then you need 2nd PDF with smaller margins.

B)

You make corrections into your MAIN INDD document - BUT you only need PDF with smaller margins.

Or is there something more to your workflow - that you have not mentioned yet?

Because, for me, whichever way you slice it - placing INDD file into 2nd INDD file, just to get PDF with a different margins - isn't a very efficient process...

If margins have changed "for good" - wouldn't it be better to just resize your MAIN INDD document?

It can be easily scripted. And even if in the future, you'll have to change margins again - you could use the same tool to resize your MAIN INDD document again.

Like I've said - I'm just trying to learn something new.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is also 3rd scenario:

C)

You make a PDF from your MAIN INDD document and just tell your printing place to change "location" of the body of the page - change margins.

As long as they have good impositioning software - they can do it in a heartbeat.

They can even create a "profile" and save it for future use so all resizing of your PDF will be done automatically.

Or is there something more to your workflow - that you have not mentioned yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[...]
I am placing an InDesign documents pages to a new InDesign document with a smaller size and uneven inside and outside margins which are not proportionaly smaller to the documents original pages. 
[...]

By @Shlomit Heymann

As you want to just crop into a smaller size - you can use CROP PAGES option in Acrobat.

RobertTkaczyk_0-1708777082924.png

And as you want to change inside and outside margin - not just left and right - it would be a two step process - even and odd pages separately.

You can even do all "boxes" at once:

RobertTkaczyk_1-1708777405542.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not working with my InDesign CC 2021. Will there be an update that's compatible? I love it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works. The secret is to make sure you download the entire folder - not just the script itself. It needs to create a file within that folder when it runs. No folder and it will fail. Put the whole folder inside the ID Scripts panel folder. Done. Hope that helps someone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi numa272,

what's your version of the script?
And what's the version of your operating system?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see no issue with MultiPageImporter version 2.6.2 and my German InDesign 2021 version 16.0.0.77 on Windows 10.

Just tested it. Can you show a screenshot of an error message? Did you try the script on a PDF that you exported from InDesign?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines