• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My dialog windows appear off the screen...please help

Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2011 Dec 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of my dialog windows such as paragraph styles, or when I place items appear off the screen (I see the bottom of the window, but not the top which means I cannot move them around)  - Any suggestions?

Laurie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

I tried the solution that Kipp Ky\'Eva posted, but I could not find a "Gather Windows" option (after I hooked up my second monitor,  I saw that this dialog box was also displaying offscreen).

I found another solution that worked for me though:

Go to System Preferences>Displays.

Click "Scaled".

Note the screen resolution you are currently using.

Change the screen resolution to anything, and then change it back to your original setting.

For me, that reset the display with all the windows back in thei

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2011 Dec 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset your workspace. If, for instance, you're using the [Essentials], then Window > Workspace > Reset Essentials.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2012 Dec 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue.  I am using CS6, and my 'Effects' box is off the screen and unusable.  I have tried resetting the workspace, changing the workspace, restarting the program, rebooting the system, switching between multiple and single monitor....all with no effect.  The dialog box is always in the same place; in the upper left of the screen.  Any further help would be appreciated.

Mac OS X 10.8.2

InDesign CS6 with the latest updates

15" MacBook Pro Retina

FIXED:  As soon as I posted this, I had a thought.  While that dialog box was active, I went to System Preferences>Displays>Gather Windows.  May or may not work for original poster.

Screen Shot 2012-12-28 at 9.59.14 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the solution that Kipp Ky\'Eva posted, but I could not find a "Gather Windows" option (after I hooked up my second monitor,  I saw that this dialog box was also displaying offscreen).

I found another solution that worked for me though:

Go to System Preferences>Displays.

Click "Scaled".

Note the screen resolution you are currently using.

Change the screen resolution to anything, and then change it back to your original setting.

For me, that reset the display with all the windows back in their places.

Source: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=359732

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2015 Jun 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your "System Preferences/Displays/Scaled" solution worked perfectly! Thank you, dlatzen!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2015 Oct 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Thank you Dlatzen!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2016 Mar 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dlatzen ~ Genius! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This tip was immensely helpful, even 7.5 years on. Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2021 Oct 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue but on PC, cant seem to find the solution you mention. could you direct me to the steps to follow for PC? TIA!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work for the Find/Change function. Trying to solve this now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Johh! This worked for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2021 Oct 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue but on PC, cant seem to find the solution you mention. could you direct me to the steps to follow for PC? TIA!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here the definitive solution, nothing of the other worked for me, while resetting InDesign preferences works great!!

http://www.tech4pub.com/2012/10/10/indesign-tip-reset-preferences-to-improve-performance/

here the hot part:

Re-create Damaged Preference Files

1. Quit InDesign, then relaunch the application and immediately hold down the following key combinations for your OS:

• Mac OS X: CTL+OPT+CMD+Shift
  • Windows: CTL+ALT+Shift

2.  A dialog appears, asking “Delete InDesign Preference Files?” Click Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the mentioned solutions did it for me for the Fin/Change window. I could however with (Windows) Alt-Space, M(ove) move the window back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nothing else worked for me (on PC) and i didn't want to delete/reset preferences. THIS answer worked, I was finally able to move the Find/Change dialog box. thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unplugged monitor and plugged it in again. Fixed it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you lost your dialog windows on a multi-screen setup (typicaly a dialog window is out of frame in a disabled or turned of screen) : disable the second / tird screen temporarily, close application, launch application. All dialog windows are reset to their default position in the single screen. Re-enable second / third screen. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, what finally fixed it was changing the display orientation. For reference, I have a PC and it was under system>display>display orientation > portrait and then I was able to see the whole dialogue box and drag it down and then I changed it back to landscape. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Life saver! This is the only solution that worked for me too. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the only thing that worked for me too, thank you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The ONLY solution that worked for me too! Even the alt-space-m trick didn't work, because I was unable to select the window, only elements within it. Thank you Arlyne!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A workaround for WINDOW USERS
> click on the pop-up (make it active) and press alt + space, then select 'Move' using your keyboard, and proceed to move the popup to where it's fully visible using your keyboard arrows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines