• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

nested styles indesign ....

Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2024 Feb 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What could be the reason that the styles are not working, I have text for example

Text1: afdfsgsdfsdafasdfsdafsda
Text2: fsdfsadfasdfasfsdafsdafsdafsd

Text3: fsdfsadfasdfasfsdafsdafsdafsd

And for the colons to be bold, I used nested styles, but they do not work at all I did everything according to the youtube tutorial. Someone suggest what could be the cause?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgkyEBmb7dk 

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 12, 2024 Feb 12, 2024

You’ve set the entire paragraph’s Font Style to Bold

Screen Shot 19.png

You want the Paragraph’s Font Style to be Regular, and let the nested element up to a : get the bold Character Style:

Screen Shot 20.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Did you appy a character style to the paragraph?
  • Did you apply a GREP style?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is how I applied, I made paragraph style and character style. Then I went to nested style and there I selected character style. Of course, I selected the option that I want where the word-colon is bold, but nothing like that happened. See screen 1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not use grep .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you mean this , it didn't work eitherZrzut ekranu 2024-02-12 175341.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my text

67.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is the character style selected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doooontt knoww... 😞  what i have to do my friend

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jeden34429737waju , You should not need a GREP style in addition to the Nested Style you are showing in your first capture. Can you show a capture of the Basic Character panel for bolddd Character Style you are using in your Nested Style? Something like this:

Screen Shot 15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes x3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your first capture the Nested Style’s Character Style name is bolddd not bold2.

If you select an entire paragraph does the applied Paragraph Style have any overrides— there should not be any + signs next to the Paragraph Style name.

Should look like this:

Screen Shot 16.png

Not this:

Screen Shot 17.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this case, the character styule is somewhat secondary and the actual GREP string is what you need to examine.

I thought at first that a colon might need to be 'escaped' in a GREP string, but it can simply be entered for a match.

The string (.+): (or (\w+): may be more selective) should match any sentence-leading word ended with a colon, and apply the designated Character Style to those characters.

ETA: I am not an expert with GREP, so I can't define a string that will skip words followed by a colon in the text. The closest I can come to forcing it to apply only to the sentence-leading words up to the colon is ((\u\w+): ) ...

ETA2: (^(\w+): ) should apply the style only to the leading word or words in each paragraph.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i did it , not working x1.jpgx2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, try the other strings I suggested (in additions).

And try this simple test: apply your character style 'bold2' directly to those terms and colons. Do they bold properly? (That is, is the character style defined correctly, and does this font set have/allow a bold?)

Also note that you have to exit the style manager, save the style, before a GREP style will take effect, even with Preview checked. It's a dynamic process and won't run while you're editing the style.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when i select text and click on bold2  is working, previously I did so that I set grep , gave apply and nothing happened. But bold2 normally works now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have to apply the bold2 character style to some selected text, the nested style is not working. With the entire paragraph selected the Character Style should be listed as [None]

Screen Shot 18.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’ve set the entire paragraph’s Font Style to Bold

Screen Shot 19.png

You want the Paragraph’s Font Style to be Regular, and let the nested element up to a : get the bold Character Style:

Screen Shot 20.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THAT WOOORKSS DAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN HAHA 😄  , THAANKS ;33  A VALUABLE LESSON. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I‘ve attached my example

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines