Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Objects won't move with the Selection Tool

New Here ,
Sep 30, 2018 Sep 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm working in InDesign CC 13.1 and all of a sudden I'm unable to move my objects around my page. I can select them with the Selection Tool, can copy and paste, and can select and move object anchor points however I can't drag and move the objects/text frames.

Is this a glitch and do I need to reinstall or have I accidentally pressed a keyboard shortcut that locks things from moving? I've closed down the application and tried other files too but it's the same across the board. Illustrator and Photoshop are fine...

Any urgent help would be greatly appreciated! TIA.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

I figured out from this thread:

Suddenly can't drag objects... tried several potential solutions with no luck so far.

That this happens to a lot of people because of a conflict between certain Chrome extensions and Adobe Indesign.

Uninstalling all of my chrome extensions fixed the issue....i never took time to identify the one that was problematic.

Don't know if the fault lies with Indesign, Chrome, or the extension itself, but it happens a lot if you read that thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like these objects are locked, no? Open Preferences and see if your Object Editing preferences looks like mine.

Preferences.jpg

If so, click the box Object Editing > Prevent Selection of Locked Objects. Click OK to exit the Preferences dialog box. Go to the Object menu and choose Unlock All on Spread. Does that solve your problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Scott, thanks for this suggestion. This Preference was ticked, so I've deselected it, and then unlocked all on spread (however nothing was locked). Still nothing is moving I'm afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, the next thing to do is to open the Layers panel and see if any layers or objects on sub-layers are locked.

Oh, and don't forget to make sure that the objects you're trying to move are on document pages, NOT on master pages. If they were placed on masters you won't be able to move them from a document page. To do so, go to the flyout menu of the Pages panel and choose Override all master page items.

If none of these suggestion work, please post the file somewhere for me to download and review.

Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Scott, definitely not working in the Masters and the layers aren't locked either. It's really strange as this problem is happening to any file I open, even though I've worked in these file many times before without a problem. That's why I'm concerned it's a problem with the program itself... Thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karyn:

Did you ever solve this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started having the exact same problem as karyn.hosking​

No objects can be moved with the selection tool.

They can be selected, copy/pasted, etc so the problem is NOT that these objects are locked.

No objects in ANY of my files can be moved with the selection tool.

The Free Transform tool is able to move them however.

Is this a bug? Did Adobe change this basic functionality on purpose with an update and not tell anyone? Please help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry to hear about this. I would request if you can try resetting preferences and let us know if that helps: Set preferences in Adobe InDesign.

Please note: Resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and InDesign will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folder in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I figured out from this thread:

Suddenly can't drag objects... tried several potential solutions with no luck so far.

That this happens to a lot of people because of a conflict between certain Chrome extensions and Adobe Indesign.

Uninstalling all of my chrome extensions fixed the issue....i never took time to identify the one that was problematic.

Don't know if the fault lies with Indesign, Chrome, or the extension itself, but it happens a lot if you read that thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a newcomer to Illustrator so maybe this is not what you're encountering exactly.

When I try to move an object that is selected with the bounding box highlighted, it won't move unless my curser is directly over a part of the path and it says "path" . I assumed that as long as the cursor was positioned anywhere inside the bounding box it would move but that didn't work. It was initially hard to spot because the stroke on my path was so light it was hard to select the path itself.

Now I want to know - Is there a preference you can set where you can move something if the cursor is inside the bounding box vs exactly positioned over a section of the path inside of the bounding box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines