• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paragraph spacing suddenly not working

Engaged ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. I have a curious one here where my before + after spacing options are suddenly not working. They were working fine earlier today and I haven't updated or done anything out of the ordinary, but those options are mysteriously greyed out now. I can't insert the cursor into any of these. I've restarted and tried a brand new document. Not too keen to replace settings yet as I lose all my shortcuts every time. 😄

Any thoughts?

Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 16.03.21.png

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you accidentaly locked the layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Spenno 

Thanks for reaching out. Please try selecting the objects and then selecting a target object and let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, empty value boxes such as we see in your menu are an indication that either nothing is selected, or that items with varying values are selected. Select one (1) paragraph and see if you can access and change its spacing settings. If not, I'd bet on a locked layer getting in the way.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> Not too keen to replace settings yet as I lose all my shortcuts every time.

You should be making backup copies of those...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few versions ago InDesign added a new option called "Space between Paragraphs Using Same Style" to the choices to be used for space before and after. Believe me, I feel your pain since the first time I encountered the issue that you're having I did freak out a bit. There is an easy fix, however, with the affected paragraph's selected, simply change the pull-down menu next to the option's icon in the Control Panel or Paragraph Panel to ignore. I see in your screen shot that ignore is actually chosen. Check to see that it is still reading as ignore when all of your text is selected. If not then change it. Also check any paragraph styles applied to make sure that the adjustment has been made to those as well.

Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 4.13.04 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't seen this setting take away the ability to change top/bottom spacing, it just overrides it in the case of sequential paragraphs of the same style. Which, yes, can be confusing but I'm not sure it's the OP's problem; his settings box does say 'Ignore'...

ETA: ...but, he may not have the affected paragraph selected for that screen shot. This is a good candidate for the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this suggestion. I'm still having issues with this. I'm working with text all day and the ability to alter before/after spacing quickly saves me a huge amount of time. Now I can't do that. In my screenshot below I have the between setting at 'ignore' yet no matter where I select the text, I can't place the cursor in the before or after fields to alter them. I've deleted, rewritten and changed the styles throughout the block of text, and began from scratch with brand new text. Baffling, frustrating and really slowing me down. Obviously there is spacing applied to that text, so why can't I change those parameters?

*Edit - ok, so this is only a problem when using the flyout paragragh settings box. If I change my workspace so those settings are in the top panel, it's all fine. I also only just noticed the shading/border checkboxes in the flyout settings so guess it's been altered quite recently.

Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 11.11.22.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't see where it's been suggested that you clear your ID preferences. It's common for updates to leave the user prefs broken or confused. Here's the process:

That should clear up this annoying glitch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines