• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paragraph style Hyphenation

Contributor ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please refer to attached Scree Shots 01 and 02.

I have created a paragraph style for quotations used in margin text boxes.

I do not understand why the word "the" (fourth word) in the sentence in Screen Shot 01 is not in the first line of text given how hyphenation is defined in the paragraph style - and how the style functions in other text boxes, e.g. Screen Shot 03.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Hi Michael:

Hyphenation was the red herring. The issue was your kerning method.

2023-09-05_16-02-38 (1).gif

From Nigel French's excellent class InDesign: Typography Part 1 on LinkedIn Learning: "Metrics kerning will use the metrics values that part of the font, the kerning pairs that are created by the type designer. Optical will disregard those and InDesign will adjust the spacing between the letters according to the shapes of the letters."

Are you ok going with the default metric kerning?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's most likely the Adobe Paragraph Composer at work balancing lines for a better look and fewer hyphens (in this case none).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Michael J B:

Are you 100% sure hyphenation is enabled for those paragraphs? 

~Barb

2023-09-05_13-32-34 (1).gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb, thanks for the illustration.

• I opened up the paragrah style options, selected hyphenation, and toggled the check-box on and off, and nothing changed. In Screen Shot 04 it is also turned on. 

• I created new paragraph style based on the one used in Screen Shots 01 1nd 02, and set first line indent to 0, and applied it as per Screen Shot 05 to see if anything change. Still not producing what you were able to produce.

• Then I imported the paragraph style used in Screen Shot 03, applied it, and still no success. (!) (Driving me a tad nuts)

Any other thoughts ?

Then, seeing as 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried switching to the single line composer for that text to see what happens? Not suggesting this is a panacea, but it would confirm it's the composer and not you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Spier : I did, and one line reflowed, but the "the" stayed on line 2 as per Michael's first screen shot.

@Michael J B Can you share a page of the file?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

will do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter, thanks, I did so and got a partial adjustment, as per Screen Shot 06, but still not what Barb produced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an invisible setting to style a paragraph in V-Form, in Pyramid-Form or equal. In the script panel is a script where you can change it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Michael:

Hyphenation was the red herring. The issue was your kerning method.

2023-09-05_16-02-38 (1).gif

From Nigel French's excellent class InDesign: Typography Part 1 on LinkedIn Learning: "Metrics kerning will use the metrics values that part of the font, the kerning pairs that are created by the type designer. Optical will disregard those and InDesign will adjust the spacing between the letters according to the shapes of the letters."

Are you ok going with the default metric kerning?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines