• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pasting vector graphics into IND

Enthusiast ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am copy/pasting vector graphics from Illustrator to Indesign. Mostly simple charts and diagrams that are re-used and I find that they are easier to work with this way as opposed to placing them. Normally the bounding box hugs the dimensions of the graphic, but one in particular has something weird going on with it... (see below) I have tried grouping it in different ways, re-saving it, playing with the artboard and triple checked for stray points.... anyone have any idea what is going on here?

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 3.22.41 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

I took a look at this - even though I could not see any stray points in the Illustrator file, I tried using Object > Path > Clean Up to remove stray points. 

It seemed to fix the problem - give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

Screenshot 2018-07-19 14.41.08.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scooter:

The dotted line border indicates that you are working with a group. I suspect there is an invisible object over to the far left. You could carefully ungroup in InDesign, locate the object, delete it and then regroup those blue elements. Or you might want to return to Illustrator, change to Outline View—which will show you exactly where that object is—delete it, then reselect and copy and paste the content back into InDesign.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was my first thought, It's happened before but this is how it looks in outline and after a command-A

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 3.55.39 PM.png

Edit: I do group them before copying them into ID, I did not know it knew the difference (TIL!) also need to outline fonts, as Type behaves oddly when scaling in Indesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm. Do you want to share the files? That InDesign page and that Illustrator graphic? You can put them on dropbox and post the link here (public) or hover over my name and message me (private).

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Illustrator, is there a Guide way over to the left?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No guides- I wish that were the case ....

BarbBinder​ here is the file if you want to have a look. Its not life or death just a weird anomaly I've never seen before.

Dropbox - Temp.ai

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took a look at this - even though I could not see any stray points in the Illustrator file, I tried using Object > Path > Clean Up to remove stray points. 

It seemed to fix the problem - give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

Screenshot 2018-07-19 14.41.08.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

It did work... still dont understand what the heck was going on but THANKS!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ScooterD76 ,

placing your AI file with option Bounding Box ( All Layers ) or Bounding Box ( All Visible Layers ) will be ok.

No extra space to the left. The creator tag in the file says Adobe Illustrator CC 22.1 .

( However my InDesign CC 2018.1 on Windows 10 crashed while trying to remove the placed files. )

Ok, then let's test this with InDesign CC 2018.1 on one side and Adobe Illustrator CC 22.1 on the other.

Hm. Select the paths in Illustrator, copy to the clipboard, switch to InDesign and paste. Yes, I can see the issue. Confirmed. But I can see it differently compared to the one you see:

SampleAI-vectorPaths-Pasted-1.PNG

If I ungroup the group there is no item in the lower left corner of the selected group you can see from my screenshot.

Currently I have no explanation …

EDIT: OK, now we have something like an explanation. Stray path points. But shouldn't stray path point be selectable?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- My sample was turned sideways to fit the screenshot, also, My original document has several layers with different versions of the same chart, (all with the same problem) so i just picked one for the doc i uploaded. You would think that they would be selectable, especially command-A... ::shrug::

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a puzzle. I could find no stray points in the illustrator document, but this worked anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

downloaded  image … tried  opening  illy-2018  and  indd-2018 … as  expected,  same  results  as  op.

then  tried  opening  illy-cs6 … immediately,  bounding-box (8.5x11(def)) was  evident … clipping-path  was  engaged  with  that  bounding-box … no  “grouping”  evident.  upon  selecting  only  the  bounding-box … object/clipping-mask/release … deleted  the  bounding  box … resaved  image … no  further  issue.

since  op  did  not  include  an  image  which  did  not  have  issue … i  couldn't  trouble-shoot/speculate  further  as  to  which  action  op  performed  that  caused  the  issue  in  first  place. [could be op had some interaction with layer/group/font-outli8nes, etc.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines