• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Perfectly justified columns?

Enthusiast ,
Aug 14, 2022 Aug 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how does The New York Times achieve these perfectly justified columns without extra spacing without words?

How do I do that in In Design?

newyorktimes.PNG

TOPICS
Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Hi @Chris P. Bacon 

I don’t think eliminating H&J violations means you’ll get the best setting—the violation highlight simply indicates lines where InDesign can no longer adhere to the rules you have set. So I might argue that the ideal is to not allow any hyphenation, word spacing, letter spacing, or glyph scaling (glyph scaling distorts the letter forms).

But obviously that’s not possible with a short measure—most of the lines create a violation—and it would look horrible with justified te

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if the Hyphenation slider is dragged down totally to "Better spacing" it's even better, and no H&J violations highlighting at all in 2 pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. And now you have a perfect solution for those two pages.

Which is how it works. All the tools will do almost anything... but not by themselves.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Chris P. Bacon 

I don’t think eliminating H&J violations means you’ll get the best setting—the violation highlight simply indicates lines where InDesign can no longer adhere to the rules you have set. So I might argue that the ideal is to not allow any hyphenation, word spacing, letter spacing, or glyph scaling (glyph scaling distorts the letter forms).

But obviously that’s not possible with a short measure—most of the lines create a violation—and it would look horrible with justified text as InDesign makes adjustments without knowing what your preferences are:

Screen Shot 28.png

The InDesign default loosens up the rules for Word Spacing and allows word spacing to flex between the 80% and 133% , with the ideal being 100%. However, there will still be violations because there is no flexibility allowed with letter spacing and glyph scaling

Screen Shot 29.png

If I set very liberal rules for word/letter spacing and glyph scaling, I can get rid of the violations, but at the cost of distorting and tracking the text:

Screen Shot 30.png

I can tighten up the rules, get less distortions and tracking, and live with the violations:

Screen Shot 31.png

I would rethink your 105% |120% |145% Glyph scaling—it’s distorting the the horizontal scaling to the point where it would be obvious to the reader. You want the desired setting to be 100%, and only allow a slight Minimum and Maximum change so the scaling is not discernible.

Screen Shot 32.png

105|120|145 distortion:

Screen Shot 33.png     

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. I thought that no violations means perfect text, thanks for sorting this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hyphenation: 9, 3, 4, 1, 1p6, off, off, off

Justification:

-5%, 0%, 5%

95%, 100%, 105%

Keep Lines 2 and 2

Also, set the paragraph style to Optical kerning.

I promise you nearly perfect typesetting right out of the gate.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using your settings:

Screenshot 2022-08-17 160546.png

Only the line pointed by the red arrow has rivers.

Compared with my "no H&J violations" setting (metric kerning, default hyphenationa and hyphenation slider all the way down to "better spacing") which has been declared as wrong way to justify:

noHJ.png

Your settings work very well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t see any hyphens in the problem paragraphs—are you sure Hyphenation is turned on for those paragraphs? I think the built in greeked text isn’t hyphenating the way you would expect with normal text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the hyphenation recipe of Mike, so it's definitely activated, but as I mentioned, " the hyphenation slider is all the way down to "better spacing":

Screenshot 2022-08-17 175134.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have set it all the way down to better spacing because the slider doesn't seem to change or shuffle the actual hyphenation settings above it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Mike's settings are still valid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by "lines 2 and 2"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe Mike means in the Keep otions you should set it to keep two lines together at both start and end of paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah, I see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One hint from me:

If you setup your details with typography, any details, always do this on actual readable text and never do this on "Lorem Ipsum" filler text.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking about that, great hint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't demo it on fake latin text. Use English. I promise you, the previously denoted numbers will do some nice typesetting for you!

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines