Exit

Placed text Footnotes references turn into forced line break

Contributor ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

macOS Catalina, latest ID version

When placing Word Doc file into InDesign, some of the footnotes references get converted into forced line break, and the footnotes content do not show up at all. This happens with File -> Place : Preserve Styles and Formatting from Text and Tables. But if I copy the text from MS Word and then Paste into text frame in InDesign, it works correctly. Does anyone know how to troubleshoot? I suspect it's based from the messy styles from client side but I can't seem to find a solution on how to Place the MS Word doc file and have the footnotes get imported correctly.

I've attached the MS Word file and two screencaps showing the difference between placing the file and copy & paste. Some footnotes do get imported when placed; for example, footnote 12 from MS Word (...functional difficulty) gets placed into InDesign while footnotes 1-11 do not. I checked footnote 11 and 12 in MS Word, and they are using the same (overridden) style, so I do not know why footnote 12 gets placed when 11 wouldn't.

Appreciate any advice!

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 15, 2023 Apr 15, 2023

Resave the Word file as DOC before importing into InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am experiencing the same problem with the note references changing to forced returns in InDesign when imported from a Word doc. It is only occasionally, most of the files that I import work perfectly. Did you ever find out what was causing the problem? I hope that you did.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 15, 2023 Apr 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ya, it's been a while but since no one has replied me here with solution, I suspect I just ended up with doing things manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resave the Word file as DOC before importing into InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And thank you Will! Resaving the .docx file to a .doc did the trick and all of the notes imported correctly! I am very grateful for the fix. Most of my projects are long documents with endnotes or footnotes and I rarely have any issues. It is good to know how to correct the problem when the notes import as forced returns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply! I have manually added the notes in a few documents over the years and that is definately no fun!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Willi Adelberger is correct, saving as .doc takes care of this, but that's new bug in InDesign. I have footnote-heavy documents and have never seen this happening. Please take a moment to report it—and reference this thread. https://indesign.uservoice.com

If you can come back and give us the link to the bug report, we can vote for it. Others will too, as they seek out an answer to the same issue.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's not really a new problem. I've had it for years but only occasionally. It must be something related to the structure of certain Word files as it's worst with those containing lots of anchored objects. I always save as RTF to fix it. See for example: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/probleme-num%C3%A9ros-de-r%C3%A9f%C3%A9rence-de-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines