• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placing a pdf with hyperlinks into Indesign

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have made a large document some of it is typed out in indesign, but the biggest portion is pdf's that I have placed into indesign. About half of the pdf's have hyperlinks and on some of them when they are placed into indesign the links break. I open the pdfs with the broken links individually in adobe acrobat and the links work, but when I place them in indesign the links no longer show-up. I can see some of the pdfs links work and I see them in the hyperlinks panel.  There are a lot of links so I don't really want to manually put them in in indesign.  I'm not really understanding why some of the pdfs with hyperlinks work and some don't. They are all put in the same way. Any suggestions?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

When you import a pdf from Acrobat into InDesign you are doing so as a flattened graphic that cannot be edited in InDesign. As long as you haven't embedded it using the Links Panel pull-down menu then the imported file will retain a link to the original pdf so that if any changes are made to the pdf—such as page order—then they will update as such in the InDesign file. Any hyperlinks that have been created in the Acrobat pdf will also have been flattened. You can, however, recreate the needed li

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

correct, you would not see the hyperlinks in the hyperlinks panel for files placed. you only see hyperlinks created from indesign in that one particular file.

The links however should work if you export out an interactive .pdf regardless of you making the hyperlink in indesign versus a hyperlink that comes from a .pdf you place. Are you exporting an interactive .pdf?

May we see screenshots of one of the .pdf files you placed (a place .pdf with one of the hyperlinks that dont work when you exported the whole thing? and show us the hyperlink set up in that file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did make sure to export an interactive .pdf. Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 1.21.47 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you import a pdf from Acrobat into InDesign you are doing so as a flattened graphic that cannot be edited in InDesign. As long as you haven't embedded it using the Links Panel pull-down menu then the imported file will retain a link to the original pdf so that if any changes are made to the pdf—such as page order—then they will update as such in the InDesign file. Any hyperlinks that have been created in the Acrobat pdf will also have been flattened. You can, however, recreate the needed links in InDesign by drawing a transparent box over the places that need linking and using the Hyperlink Panel to make those boxes into "replacement" hyperlinks. You can then Export the InDesign file as an Adobe PDF (Print) through the File menu. You must make sure to check "Include Hyperlinks" in the General section of the Export Adobe PDF dialog window that appears during the export process. When opened in Acrobat the new pdf will retain all of the new hyperlinks.

EDIT: For more information about creating hyperlinks in InDesign see: InDesign Interactive PDF Hyperlinks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue. We compile a catalog of PDF files 5 times a year, usually about 250-500 indivudual files. We've started including links on the PDFs to additional files, but when I place them into InDesign to create a master file and one that I can manipulate bleed and what not (it's a file we also send to print and produce an electronic version) the links break. Some way to embed the PDF so the hyperlinks still work would be such a nice addition. Creating 500 hyperlinks in ID is a nightmare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The links don't break. As already point out here and countless other threads, any interactivity in a PDF is not carried into a new InDesign file, only the artwork.

Why not combine everything in Acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar issue and my limitation with acrobat and indesign here is that I need to change an existing PDF with hyperlinks from single pages into spreads. Not just change the view in Acrobat.... Creating new hyperlinks is painstaking. 😞

Oh well! I'm glad I found this string it saved me some time lol.

b

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

New Flash: If the links don't work, THEY'RE BROKE!
Adobe needs to come up with a better solution. We are in the same situation as KristaWoods. We compile books with hundreds of individial PDFs for different clients. All pointing to different websites. You're telling everyone that all these links (Hundreds if not Thousands) need to be recreated? Sorry - that's not a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines