• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PNG Transparency Rendering Issue in RGB Document on InDesign 19.5

LEGEND ,
Aug 27, 2024 Aug 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I create a new RGB document using the "Web" document profile and place a PNG with transparency on it, the rendering inside the document window gets extremely messed up. This issue doesn't occur if the transparency is removed from the PNG. Additionally, if I switch the display mode from GPU to CPU (though it significantly slows down the rendering), the issue doesn't occur.

Can you please tell me if this is a problem specific to my environment that can be fixed, or if it's a bug in InDesign?

My setup is InDesign 19.5 / Sonoma 14.6.1 / M1 ULTRA. The same issue has been happening since Ventura.

<Title renamed by MOD>

--
Yamonov
TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Sep 02, 2024 Sep 02, 2024

Hi everyone, 

Thank you for your patience. Please continue to upvote this UserVoice page: Drawing glitches when placing transparent PNGs in RGB documents on monitors with specific color profiles – Adobe InDesign (https://adobe.ly/47dLADS) and add your feedback to help prioritize the issue. I will keep you posted if the product team needs any further details from you. Stay tuned to the UserVoice page for updates. We really appreciate your presence on community.

Thank you,

Abhishek Rao

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2024 Aug 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of image is it?

If it is a drawing, or logo use AI or PDF/X-4. 

If it is an image, use PSD, TIFF or PDP/PDF. 

Avoid PNG. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a PNG with an alpha channel. I often use such images when creating instructional materials about Adobe applications for the web, particularly for capturing panels. The outline of the panel is crucial, so removing the alpha channel is not an option.

I understand that converting to PSD or TIFF can avoid this issue, and I also understand that it is essential for stable commercial printing. However, I am using InDesign because I want to create these materials as quickly and easily as possible by exporting the images directly.

By the way, this issue does not occur in CMYK mode. It only happens in RGB mode when displaying with the GPU.

I have attached a video that shows how the rendering gets messed up in GPU mode. As you can see in the video, the distortion is severe enough to make the document almost unusable.

Please let me know if this is an issue specific to my environment that I need to address, or if it is a bug in InDesign that cannot be resolved.

https://youtu.be/1GBJW4LLOys?si=qmrDJE76U_N3UKN-

--
Yamonov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Yamonov , GPU display problems are aknow issue with some Mac hardware configurations. If you export the page to a PDF does the PDF display correctly in Acrobat?

Also, try resaving the PNG as a PSD and see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

これは純粋に表示の問題で、データ自体がおかしくなることはありません。

PDFとして書き出す、Cmd+Eで画像として書き出す場合、正常に書き出されます。

--
Yamonov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check to see if your GPU drivers are up to date. Go directly to the manufacturer's site and check for new drivers. (If your system is using Apple's own GPU, it's probably up to date with the OS updates.)

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac(Sonoma14.6.1)で最新のOSを使用していますが、Venturaの頃からずっと同じ症状です。これは既に書きましたね。

正確には、気づいたのがVenturaを使っていた頃だったというだけで、もっと前からそうだったのかもしれません。

お二人がこのように返答しているということは、この症状は私の環境固有のものだ、ということでよろしいですか?

--
Yamonov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't referring to the OS, but the GPU driver. Updating the OS usually gives you the latest "safe" version of the GPU driver--so Apple doesn't get support calls. The "safe" version may not be the latest version.

Most are either NVIDIA or AMD. It's their websites I would check.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AppleSilicon機をMacOSで使用する場合、GPUドライバはOSに組み込まれているものしかありません。GPUドライバーアップデートはOSアップデートと一体です。どこかのメーカーのウェブサイトにドライバーがある、ということはありません。

コミュニティエキスパートのDaveさんがずっと問題解決手法について質問しているということは、何度もお聞きしていますが、この症状は私の環境固有のもので、他に報告された事例がなく、またInDesignのバグではない、と判断されているということでよろしいですか?

--
Yamonov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 29, 2024 Aug 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have identified the cause of the issue.

I am using an EIZO color management monitor, and with the ColorNavigator software from EIZO for profile management and creation, this rendering distortion occurs when:

• The tone curve is set to LUT (recommended setting)
  • "Reflect black level in tone curve" is enabled

This issue only happens in InDesign when using a monitor profile created with these settings.

However, if "Reflect black level in tone curve" is not enabled, the display in Photoshop becomes problematic (shadow tones get crushed, and "Proof Colors" behaves abnormally).

I would like to report this bug to the InDesign team. Do the development team members monitor this forum?

SS_Google Chrome_20240829-193124.png

--
Yamonov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 29, 2024 Aug 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Yamonov

Thank you all for your patience and for thoroughly testing the issue. I truly appreciate the efforts made by you in replicating the problem.

To get this conveyed to our product team, would you mind creating a UserVoice for this issue to be reported ( Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests: Top (5017 ideas) – Adobe InDesign (https://adobe.ly/3XlxwVq) and adding your comments there? Doing this will help us prioritize this request, and you will be notified of any updates.

Feel free to reach out if you have more questions or need assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

Thanks, 

Abhishek Rao

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2024 Sep 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 02, 2024 Sep 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi everyone, 

Thank you for your patience. Please continue to upvote this UserVoice page: Drawing glitches when placing transparent PNGs in RGB documents on monitors with specific color prof...and add your feedback to help prioritize the issue. I will keep you posted if the product team needs any further details from you. Stay tuned to the UserVoice page for updates. We really appreciate your presence on community.

Thank you,

Abhishek Rao

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines