Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Portrait and Landscape Orientation Pages in the Same Document/File

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am creating a fixed layout epub for the iPad with both portrait and landscape pages. I can't for the life of me figure out how to display each of the pages correctly. When exporting to epub I get this error:

Error.png

Then when I view it on iPad, the vertical page (the first page in the document, and the one that matches the master, looks good. iPad in portrait:

IMG_0008.PNG

iPad in landscape:

IMG_0009.PNG

But the landscape pages basically have a piece of them that is cut out to match the dimensions of the vertical page. There are two columns that should be symmetric but the right column is cut off. iPad in portrait:

IMG_0010.PNG

iPad in landscape:

IMG_0011.PNG

For frame of reference I am wanting to display the entirety of each of these pages regardless of the iPad's orientation. Ideally when the iPad is held up in portrait orientation, the portrait/vertical page should fill it completely, but in landscape I expect to see gray on both sides but still see the entire portrait/vertical page. Same thing the other way around. I tried experimenting with alternate layouts, but I think the solution I need is simpler than that. I basically want it to display like a PDF would with different orientations. Thanks!

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019

What you are trying to do is unsupported. Pick an orientation and stick with it. I recommend landscape.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to InDesign EPUB forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are trying to do is unsupported. Pick an orientation and stick with it. I recommend landscape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob. That’s surprising but hopefully this feature will be incorporated in an update someday. Most of the ebook will be two column landscape but I have tables that would be best placed in portrait to have the text size be acceptable. I’ll have to figure out a work around - probably just make them super small to fit in one column of the landscape and take advantage of being able to zoom in with a fixed layout ePub. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2024 Feb 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can be done.

1. Download software like sigil.

2. open your e-pub file in it.

3. Find and  locate the file named “content.opf” in the “OEPS” folder

4. Find the line <meta property="rendition:orientation”>landscape</meta> or <meta property="rendition:orientation”>portrait</meta> near the beginning of the file

5. Change landscape or portrait in this line to “auto”, so that the line appears as <meta property="rendition:orientation”>auto</meta>

6. Save and close the content.opf file

7. Save your changes in epub file.

And Vola, see the magic happen. It also took me lot of time and depths of internet to find it, hope this helps for people, who try to find it in future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2024 Feb 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That will do nothing for what was asked five years ago. All it will do is flip one orientation and make it look awful in the other.

This is an absolutely horrible idea and will create a very poor reader experience when the device is rotated a bit by accident.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines