• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Print PDF Booklet from InDesign CC

New Here ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to create a printer spreads booklet of a document using the Print Booklet function in InDesign. The problem is I don't have a physical printer hooked up, so it doesn't seem I can change the paper size under Printer Settings, my PPD seems to be set at Device Independent. Anyone have any solutions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

I think here is the solution for this question.

Note that the booklet feature of Acrobat have a default : it shrinks slightly your document.

See here : How to print a booklet at 100%

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you doing this? Imposition is the job of the printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm an independent contractor for a company that has an in-house printer, they are trying to print it through their in-house but need the PDF set up for them to simply just hit print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the print booklet function too for in-house printing. Works really well. Unfortunately (for you) I'm on Windows and print to the virtual Adobe printer. I've heard that this option is not available on a Mac due to some MacOS limitations.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac or Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they use InDesign, they can create a Print Preset for you in InDesign (File > Print Presets > Define), then save it and send it. You can load it and use it locally, choosing it from the Print Booklet dropdown. I *think* you wouldn't need the actual printer.

I've tried loading the PPD for a printer when it wasn't actually hooked up, with no success. This was from a Mac running Sierra. I don't know if it'd work for Windows.

Worst case, you could drag/drop the PDF pages into imposition order in Acrobat manually, no? Assuming you don't have any left/right bleeds.

AM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Manual dragging: That's painful... At the beginning of the InDesign route, we had a kind of script building a new Indesign file. Is that no more lying around somewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you’re printing in house, this is an unnecessary step.

Export a PDF and use the booklet printing feature in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work because the printer (or the operator) doesn't get it right... with bleed. We're trimming and when I deliver the raw PDF, the trim is wrong. I didn't investigate because booklet print works and my printer operator knows what to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I print to PDF and then use the Acrobat Booklet, the pages are in the correct order, but they should be half page.  However they print full page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export a proper PDF and then print it from Acrobat using the booklet feature there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about the bleed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The work around that I just found was to just download a PPD from a printer I know printed large enough for my export.

From a previous job, our production printer was the Konica Bizhub 1060, and printed 13x19.

I went to the below link and found the above printer, then downloaded the PPD.

Download Centre | Support & Downloads - Business Products | KONICA MINOLTA

Once you have the PPD, go to Applications, Indesign, Presets, and make a a folder (if you don't have one) named "PPDs" (I believe it is case sensitive). Drop the PPDs you downloaded into there. Restart Indesign, and you should have an option for Konica in your PPD dropdown.

I believe this is applicable to any printer PPD you can get ahold of, as long as it can print the size you are trying to save.

Saved my life! Hope this helps you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think here is the solution for this question.

Note that the booklet feature of Acrobat have a default : it shrinks slightly your document.

See here : How to print a booklet at 100%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

koenraadm80162338  wrote

Yes, the Acrobat print booklet function is only a workaround and does not allow for correct booklet printing. Sometimes, however, printer drivers include that functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2024 Apr 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am facing the same issue with this 

I want to print brouchers for my Machine , Looking for solution in comments

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2024 Apr 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @indiamachine36496519l9uo , If you are printing in house try this imposition script:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/2wjwe13fsrw9iszebo15e/h?rlkey=nwt5o3uex31fgra7oj15qvs7z&dl=0

The dialog:

Screen Shot 18.png

Exported PDF

Screen Shot 19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines