• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with numbered list- Number 1 repeats

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Occasionally when I create numbered lists, I get all ones and can't seem to correct it unless I go into each line and tell it to continue numbering. I have other occasions when the numbering starts at the wrong place, which is not as annoying since I can just reset the first number.

I've checked the paragraph styles andean't seem to figure it out.

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Check that the list is set to "Continue from previous number".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check that the list is set to "Continue from previous number".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Barbara- That helps and I had tried that option, but now subsequent lists in different cells are continuing from the previous. It may have been an issue when I imported the text or something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to build two paragraph styles for numbered lists. 1 that says start at. 1 that says continue from previous number.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That definitely makes sense, thanks. Alleviates some of the tedium.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Michael is right. If you have more than one numbered list in the document, you need two paragraph styles: one to start the list and one to increment the numbering. They would look something like this:

And use the Next Paragraph Style setting so that you don't have to manually apply the next style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to both of you!

RB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're very welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of this is working for me.   I have Indesign 2020 (version 15.1.2).  I set up styles for tables and figures in my document, where the first style for each is set to start at 1 and the next style is set to continue from the previous number.   However, the continued style will not continue the list - they all say Figure or Table 1 even though it says to continue the list under Mode.  How do I fix that?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just stumbled on the answer.  Under Type - Bulleted and Numbered Lists - Define Lists I created one list called Figures and another called Tables.  I then edited each of the initial and continued styles to designate the appropriate list under Bullets and Numbering - List.   Fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're a lifesaver! I couldn't figure it out and this just worked, thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This seems to be the ACTUAL correct answer - not the one displayed in the green box above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>> This seems to be the ACTUAL correct answer - not the one displayed in the green box above.

The answer marked correct is just that--correct for the original post

The problem with having two lists is a different issue and should have a separate post. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly what i needed. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! Thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh gosh, I've been trying to build a TOC from a numbered list in my doc for two days, unsuccessfully...until this post. THANK YOU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign 2018 Update: Click right mouse on selection and click Continue Numbering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't see this in the menu in InDesign CC 2019. Did they remove it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's there in 2019. Click your Type tool in the paragraph and right click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Barbara, I think zuzana and I have the same issue - no option to do that:

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign menus are often context-sensitive. If the paragraph is already continuing the numbering, the Continue Numbering command won't display. Instead, the menu will show the Restart Numbering command. If you choose Restart Numbering, so that the paragraph where your cursor is gets assigned the number 1, then when  you right click you will get the Continue Numbering command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barbara - that explains a lot!

I have a specific issue where my numbering goes from 1-4, and then the next heading starts at 3 and continues on to 5. I've checked and the following are selected:

Paragraph style is clear of any overrides

Paragraph style has the mode 'continue from previous number' checked

Paragraph style is the same on all numbered items

Do you have any ideas what I might have missed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. Glad that cleared things up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2021 Dec 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have another problem with the numbering lists in Indesign. My new list will start on 1 and continue to number 2 and maybe 3 but then it starts to give number 6 for example and I have to convert to text to correct the numbers ----very frustrating as my lists are set up correctly. I have only had this problem with the most recen versionss of Indesign. Any ideas...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2021 Dec 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have another problem with the numbering lists in Indesign. My new list will start on 1 and continue to number 2 and maybe 3 but then it starts to give number 6 for example and I have to convert to text to correct the numbers ----very frustrating as my lists are set up correctly. I have only had this problem with the most recen versionss of Indesign. Any ideas...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines