• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

QuarkXPress to InDesign

New Here ,
Jun 23, 2024 Jun 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I open a QuarkXPress file created on a Mac in my InDesign on my PC?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2024 Jun 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is some continuity, as older versions of ID could open certain file types created by certain QXP versions.

I suggest you simply try it.

If not, there are both conversion apps (which may be too pricey for a one-shot job), and services. A few of the folks on here have multiple older systems in play just for this kind of conversion as well.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2024 Jun 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would have to be a decades old Quark file...

Support for direct opening quark ended with Q version 5 or 6, I think, and was dropped after InDesign CS6, if I remember correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2024 Jun 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, up to Q version 4.1 and up through InDesign CS6, as I recall.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2024 Jul 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Late to the party here, but all versions of InDesign can open Quark 3.x and 4.x files. It was Pagemaker files that were dropped after CS6.

That said, I believe that new versions of XPress can export to IDML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That said, I believe that new versions of XPress can export to IDML.

By @BobLevine

No not save/export as IDML, just open IDML...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How Will You Use the New IDML Export, GREP, and Fonts Palette in QuarkXPress 2024? | Quark

IDML Export

Import and Export have been upgraded. However, what is huge in QuarkXPress 2024 is that you can now export IDML. IDML is an interchange format designed originally for InDesign, but now adopted as a semi-standard interchange format for Desktop Publishing.

Not only can you save for InDesign and Affinity users, and for webservices that require IDML, you can also save for earlier versions of QuarkXPress that read IDML.

IDML saves at the level of ‘things common to everyone’. So, for example, if you are saving something with text shading, the text itself will come across, but, since applications don’t support text shading to the same extent, the shading itself disappears. 

Using IDML gives you maximum data integrity and structural compatibility. Your style sheets will come across, but they may not look the same, for example because of the recipient not having the same fonts installed. If you want to maintain the exact look of a document, export as PDF instead. Earlier versions of QuarkXPress back to 2016 can import this, though few other packages can.

Affinity Publisher also has this capability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

😳😱🤯 Well, I be damn*d! I must revisit that QuarkXPress some day 😁

But as far as Affinity concerns, no, Affinity for sure can NOT export to IDML...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2024 Jul 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was just skimming the Affinity site and read too quickly.  Of course, you're correct. Sorry for any confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2024 Jul 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version? InDesign can open 3.3.- 4.1 file from either platform (works well, btw). If you have newer than that, in addition to selling utilities to convert newer Quark files to InDesign, markzware also has a conversion service where they do the work for you priced according to the size of the file. That might be a better option for you if you just have one or two files. I had them do a client's huge Publisher file for me a few years back and was very satisfied with the results.

If it's QXP 6.x or less I can probably give it a try for you as I have an old Q2ID plugin on an old Mac system here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out Markzware's OmniMarkz software.

https://markzware.com/products/omnimarkz/

(Warning--not inexpensive.)

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines