• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question for Long Document Gurus

Enthusiast ,
Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a long document (approx 450 pages). Each Chapter approx 30 pages including lots of images.

Structure of the document is like this:

Chapter opener will start with some margin on the top side.

Most of the book has pages with full text.

In some parts the book has a full page size image on the right page.

In some parts the left Page has full image. 

Some parts have Image on the top size of the page (either left side or right side).

Some parts have image at the bottom side of the page (either left side or right side).

I have made some master pages. Chapter opener master is working. Other than that other masters are not working as it should. Maybe I am doing something wrong. I have attached few screenshot for your understanding.

After applying the Image master, why is there still text on it ? This is my main concern. I have to delete the text frame on that  and then place the image.

I have uploaded the IDML file at:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ctg51bsmiuz7ntt/SEERAT_FAIZ_RESTRUCTURED.idml/file

Can anyone suggest/help what modifications I need ?

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

I started using InDesign years before the concept of Primary Text Frame was introduced and never really got comfortable with them, so I tend not to have text frames on Master/Parent pages, either, for flowing text.

I think I would use option 3 myself, especially if you may have different image sizes. You would be able to adjust the image frames on the fly after placing the images and your text would reflow automatically after making the adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks to me that you have no text frames defined on the master pages so that when you place your text any auto-flow text frames are generated filling the entire margin area.

I can think of perhaps three differnt ways to get your image spaces to remain empty:

1) define Primary Text frames on the master pages

2) adjust the margins to exclude the image area, or, and this is actually the most flexible,

3) apply text wrap to the image frames onthe master pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Spier  Thanks for the reply.

Yes I do not have text frames defined on the master pages. Actually, I had defined text frames on the master pages but I had to remove it because when I was placing the text, it was creating another text frame on top of it with the text and the text frames which were defined in the master pages were intact. I could not find the reason for it so I removed it. I would like to know what I am doing wrong here.

As fas as point 2 is concerned, I thought of it but the images are not of same height. Some are same some are of different height.

I havent tried point 3. 

What I am looking for is a professional approach so that in future I do not face any issues. There are approx 450 pages in each book and I have to take care of 5 books approx.

Thanks and regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started using InDesign years before the concept of Primary Text Frame was introduced and never really got comfortable with them, so I tend not to have text frames on Master/Parent pages, either, for flowing text.

I think I would use option 3 myself, especially if you may have different image sizes. You would be able to adjust the image frames on the fly after placing the images and your text would reflow automatically after making the adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 11, 2022 Sep 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Spier Thanks Peter. I think you are right. I'll go with option 3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not completely sure what the problem is from your examples, but your full-page images should use Object styles to ensure that they fully displace any text on those pages. They should have the Jump Object text wrap, so that no text is permitted on either side even if you leave a small gap, and top/bottom margins that will either similarly displace text or space a caption correctly.

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 11, 2022 Sep 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks James. I will enable the text wraps as suggested by Peter and confirmed by you.

Thanks to all. This community has always been helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines