Hi,

Quotation marks appear distorted when text is italicized 

how do i solve this problem

I would be happy if you help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 30, 2024 Mar 30, 2024

For this - the optical alignment is off due to certain settings

Change the kerning option - here it's set to 0

EugeneTyson_1-1711792234139.png

If you set it to optical it works well

EugeneTyson_4-1711792279034.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which Adobe app are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sory,

Adobe Ä°ndesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post (like this one has already been moved) if it helps you get responses.

<"moved from using the community">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's hard to guess exactly what's going on from your small screen snip, but ā€”

• The font or document could be corrupted;
  • The font kerning data may not accommodate the large swash F next to a quote mark (not every possible combination of characters is always mapped in kerning);
  • The italics may be applied only as far as the F, exaggerating the kerning collision with the non-italic quote mark.

On that last, I often see collision between a last italicized character and a next non-ital one, moreso in web text than in InDesign but it's not uncommon in any layout. (My solution in web design is to tack a few points of right-padding onto any italicized style, so that the next character is pushed over a bit, thus forcing something like desired or "normal" spacing.)

I think you may just have to fix this manually, or with a GREP style. It's unlikely there is any fix, per se; it's just an unlucky combination of fonts exceeding the limits of auto-spacing and kerning. Either a tracking value or inseting some width of space (from thin on up) would 'solve' the problem, if imperfectly.

ā•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ā•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi mr.

Yes, I think it can be done manually as you said, it is entirely related to the font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Harun 34:

It's just the shape/angle of the italicised letter f next to the apostrophe, which isn't in italics. Is there some reason that you wouldn't put italics on the apostrophe?

~Barb

2024-03-29_08-34-03 (1).gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi barb,

Proper nouns will be written in italics, suffixes after the nouns will be regular, f' apostrophe will be regular

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Well, nothing is actually distorted, it's just that the f is leaning to the right and the apostrophe is not getting out of the way because it is not italics.

Looking at my font, the f is only italic character that slants into the roman apostrophe. I manually edited the horizontal spacing (and added a color to help you see it), saved it as a character style and assigned the character style as a GREP style to the f'.

~Barb

2024-03-29_17-06-47 (1).gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2024 Mar 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For this - the optical alignment is off due to certain settings

Change the kerning option - here it's set to 0

EugeneTyson_1-1711792234139.png

If you set it to optical it works well

EugeneTyson_4-1711792279034.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks thankst hanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines