• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

relinked images moving

Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our group recently started working on the Cloud in Box. When I place a tif or psd file and save it as a new file name, add an adjustment layer and relink to that new file it shifts placement in InDesign. I'm on CC 2019. When the file was packaged to my desk this happened again. This doesn't happen with jpegs or new files created on my desktop using the same images. No one else in my group is having the same issue. Anyone else see this happening? Thanks for any thoughts on this -Karen

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Hi Karen,

check your InDesign preferences and see if the new feature Content Aware Fit is enabled.

Turn it off before updating images and graphics.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many possibilities to let this happen. One is to change something in the dimensions of the linked file. The other is shifting information in the linked file. The third is to change some fitting option in Indesign.

The file type (JPEG, TIFF, PSD) has however nothing to do with that.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The dimensions of the relinked file did not change, the Indesign fitting options didn’t change either unless it is a software glitch. The changes are random and always involve the whole image moving 3 to 4 inches up or sideways within the bounding box. The only changed information in the linked file is adding an adjustment layer. As I mentioned this only started when we moved to the Cloud platform, Box. This dosen’t happen when I work off my hardrive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just curious if you have seen this thread?

Updating link or relinking images unexpectedly resize

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eugene, I hadn’t, I’ll check it out. Thank you. -K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eugene, I just read it and when I got to the end, noticed it was locked because the thread was so old. It references much older versions of Ind.and was also related to eps. files not photoshop files. But I now have a few more options to try after reviewing the thread. I can't imagine that it is just a coincidence that this started the day we moved all the files on our server to BOX. It initially happened in a completely different file, the moving of the files to BOX had resulted in broken links, when I updated them they all updated fine except for one that was in a separate folder. That one moved 6 inches to the left. I chose undo and packaged the file to my desktop, thinking I would just relink it there to the file I had saved locally. Interestingly, in the package file all the links were there and placed correctly, even the one that went "wonky" and had a "broken link". Also when we tried to reproduce the error in the file that remained on the server it no longer happened. Could it be a lag in communication between the Cloud and Ind.? I wonder if as more folks start working off documents on the Cloud if similar bugs turn up. On our old server I often had "permissions" errors when saving edits to large Photoshop files requiring me to save them as a different file name or in a different location due to not letting me overwrite the originals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see - older thread or not often the solution is similar.

This section of the help files for the preferences for relinking the images might help

Manage linked or embedded graphics in Adobe InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

karend57180386  wrote

Could it be a lag in communication between the Cloud and Ind.? I wonder if as more folks start working off documents on the Cloud if similar bugs turn up. On our old server I often had "permissions" errors when saving edits to large Photoshop files requiring me to save them as a different file name or in a different location due to not letting me overwrite the originals.

Cloud and server do work differently. The cloud is a synchronized local disk. Saving is inherently fast. Data gets uploaded "later" to the cloud. What you experienced on your network was an OS problem when handling with (very) slow media.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this instance the file resized within the bounding box, both versions are tifs. The only difference is I added a layer, filled it with red, changed the blending mode to multiply and relinked it for the second one. Both image proportions remained the same.

community2.jpegcommunity.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karen,

check your InDesign preferences and see if the new feature Content Aware Fit is enabled.

Turn it off before updating images and graphics.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I'll try that and report back, updates to software, OS and moving to BOX all happened close together making it a challenge to pinpoint the trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, it seemed to work this time. I'll keep that in mind and see what happens from here on out. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

so you turned off Content Aware Fit in the preferences?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I turned off Content Aware fit and the image that had been repositioning itself when relinked stopped shifting. Thank you! I never would have found it if you hadn't told me and I hope this is the fix I am looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great find!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2020 Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all, I tried Content Aware fit and Preserve Image Dimensions when relinking but still have the problem. It it so weird, never happened before. Thanks for any help you might have

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines