• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replace color of SVG object in Indesign

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've a SVG file (heart shape) which I have imported in my project in Adobe Indesign.
I need to change the color of the heart to a specific color so the presser will add foil on that specific place.

How can I change the color of this heart object?

When I change the color of the object, the entire box will get the color instead of just the heart shape, see image below.
I tried adding a path to the existing heart but that is not exactly matching with the shapes and looks really messy.

The desired result is having a heart shape in the foil color without the bounding box.

screen.JPG

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll need to change the color in the original application where you created the .svg, or draw a new heart using the pen tool in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, maybe one other possibility...

Have you tried selecting the .svg with the direct select tool? If you are able to do that and it selects the path of the heart you might be able to redefine the color. There is a complication, however. your color needs to be a spot color to create a foil die, and it doesn't look like you've got it defined that way.

If the exisitng heart is defined with a spot color fill (apparently called Named Color in the SVG Spec) you can use the Ink Manager to alias the exisiting spot color (presuming it is not used elsewhere in the document) to your foil color. If the exisiting fill color for the heart is not showing in the Swatches panel, try Add Unnamed Colors from the panel menu. I think, though, that any defined spot color would create a swatch automaticaslly on import, so this probably will not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To change the color of that SVG file you have to open it with e.g. Adobe Illustrator.

Two options now:

[1] Change the color in Illustrator and save it as AI file. Place the AI file in InDesign.

[2] Copy the path of the heart shape in Illustrator and paste the copied path in InDesign and change the color with InDesign.

FWIW: SVG files cannot be saved as SVG with a spot color or a CMYK color.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was my suspicion, but https://www.w3.org/TR/SVGColorPrimer12/ seems to say otherwise...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've managed to save spot color as .svg in Illustrator, but it does not come into ID with the spot color intact, so I guess Uwe is correct on your options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Properties: Effects (fx): Inner Glow - Mode: Normal - Technique: Precise - Source: center - Size: 0 - Noise: 0% and choose blending color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I want to alter the color of a graphic that's been placed in InDesign, I save the graphic as a bitmap TIFF. I open the vector file in Photoshop, go to MODE > Bitmap (I use 300 for resolution and 50% threshold for method), then SAVE AS a TIFF file. When you place the file in InDesign, you can then alter the color using the direct silect tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2024 Feb 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

sfbrouw has it, use an Inner Glow. Set the choke to 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines